Author Topic: A question about MAQs  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
A question about MAQs
« on: March 13, 2017, 07:17:17 pm »
I am left wondering if or when I should use these in one of my hives.

The bottomboard suggested a few more mites than I want to start the year off with, about three a day.  A low population, but I felt I should treat.

When I learned today that I've accidently moved the queen into a nuc, I decided it was time to reconsider using the MAQ's.

I could add it now, while i (presumably) have a capped queen cell.  She should emerge in about two to three days, while the OA is still pretty strong.

I could wait a week, until after she has emerged, but is still a virgin.

I could wait two weeks, and hope our Spring doesn't quickly turn to summer, but she should be a mated queen.

Or, I could just not do anything, and assume the break in the egg laying will take care of everything.

What's the advice from the experienced beeks?

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Re: A question about MAQs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 08:09:30 pm »
Are you using Maqs and oav ? ?

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:17:33 pm »
Did you oav hives ?

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 08:38:51 pm »
I used the vaporizer last August.  I thought l'd try the quick strips for the Spring.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:10:49 pm »
I personally would hold off for now. MAQS' are strong and have been known to shut some queens down during the first few days of the 7 day treatment. I have found brood breaks in hives I have treated that showed it happens.
Given your hive is in the process of re-queening itself, a delicate time of its own, I would not throw formic into the mix until she has been mated and is laying well. Too much could go wrong during this time.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 07:54:39 am »
What Perry said--plus removing the queen from the strong hive and letting it requeen gives a form of varroa mite control--brood interruption.  You may want to check the NOD site and instructions for MAQS regarding half treatments.  I sometimes use the half treatment method when I want an initial lesser knock down while lowering the likelihood of queen issues.  I would not use anything while a queen was getting made/awaiting mating flights/awaiting the start of laying after mating.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 10:16:40 am »
What Perry said--plus removing the queen from the strong hive and letting it requeen gives a form of varroa mite control--brood interruption.  You may want to check the NOD site and instructions for MAQS regarding half treatments.  I sometimes use the half treatment method when I want an initial lesser knock down while lowering the likelihood of queen issues.  I would not use anything while a queen was getting made/awaiting mating flights/awaiting the start of laying after mating.

Ditto

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 11:57:31 am »
"Or, I could just not do anything"

................. :yes:

what perry and jacobs said wm..... 8)
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 05:00:38 pm »
MAQ is old school rite ? ? ?
Or is it still used ? ? ?

I'm a newbee still learning & haven't used MAQs. Is it the same as apivar strips ?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 05:45:28 pm »
MAQS = Mite Away Quick Strips
This is a timed formic acid release. A seven day treatment that can be done while having a honey super on the hive. This latest incarnation is not old.
Formic acid has been used for years in various different forms and applications, and is effective in the battle against Varroa as well as Tracheal Mites (the latter not being nearly the problem it once was).
Formic is a temperature dependent product in order to be effective.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 06:26:00 pm »
The stuff is really potent. I opened the container when it arrived to pull out the instructions. I couldn't even stand outside and unfold the paper, much less read it.

I let them air out for a week before reading how to apply.

3Reds and I wore the same mask we wear for OAV, and I had on rubber gloves to lay the strips down in my other hive. I wish I had put on the goggles, too, as the fumes burned my eyes.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 11:13:35 pm »
"I'm a newbee still learning & haven't used MAQs. Is it the same as apivar strips ?"

no mikey, apivar is different than MAQS.
apivar faqs:

Apivar FAQs

" 2. What is Apivar, and how does it work.
Apivar strips are made of two components:

Amitraz is an acaricide.  It does not kill mites directly, but is rather considered as a sub-lethal miticide with an original mode of action from neurotoxicity type, different from other current Varroacides.  Acting on the synaptic transmission of mites, it leads to constant excitation and paralysis, followed by mite drop from the bee's back.  Secondarily, Varroa dies due to starvation as a result of this paralysis.  Amitraz acts by contact only.

A plastic polymer specially chosen for its rigidity and to allow a slow and continuous release of amitraz during many weeks.
Apivar strip has been designed to release the active ingredient, from the opening of the pack, as soon as it is put into the hive.  Amitraz is available on the surface of the strips for the bees that come in contact.  The active ingredient is spread into the colony from one bee to another by contact.  After a short period of time, amitraz is hydrolyzed and disappears from the hive."

i have used  apivar strips several times in the past, no more.  it is very potent and will drive the bees out the front door when applied. if you are not used to seeing this, it can be quite unsettling.  also, and more importantly, i experienced queen problems after using it and also an odor of it, in drawn foundation.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 07:06:26 am »
I have used Apivar (Amitraz) in the past and never found any odour? I found it easy to use but avoid using any synthetic as much as possible now.
As well, the only product I have ever used that would drive the bees outside was formic acid. When using MAQS I have seen dead grass out if front of hives the odours are so strong.
Forum Supporter