Author Topic: Top feeder  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Green bee

Top feeder
« on: March 12, 2017, 05:41:29 pm »
            So I decided to build a  few top feeders and thought I would post some pictures. I built them to feed pollen patties on one side and sugar syrup on the other. It will hold around a gallon of syrup. One thing I wanted to add was something I haven't seen on other feeders was the ability to see how much syrup was left without removing the top . So I added a sight glass to the feeder section. After sealing everything up I generously coated the inside with bees wax. Then I let water stand in it a good bit to check for leaks. I think it may just work I guess time will tell.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: Top feeder
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 06:21:05 pm »
Nicely done!
Never argue with drunks or crazy people
The following users thanked this post: Green bee

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:44:13 am »
Green bee, I like you ingenuity!  2 feeders in one.  Is the little screened angle piece designed for the bees to access the sugar syrup?  How do they get in there?

Offline Green bee

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 11:55:56 am »
Green bee, I like you ingenuity!  2 feeders in one.  Is the little screened angle piece designed for the bees to access the sugar syrup?  How do they get in there?
there is an opening they crawl through and walk down the screen to get to the syrup. The angled pc you see keeps the bees from drowning in the syrup, it's basically a ladder. One thing I'd like to do is screen over the syrup section so when you pull the top they can't land in the syrup. I'll post some better pictures so you can see it better.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Green bee

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 12:05:33 pm »

If you notice there is a notch in the center board, at the bottom of the notch is the screen wire. The wire runs along the bottom of the angled pc and wraps back around the top creating a sealed cavity for the bees to feed no matter what level the syrup is.

Offline Green bee

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 04:55:23 pm »

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 02:13:58 am »
Thoughts

1. When feeding syrup will the bees get into the pollen section and start comb building.
2. The bees could propolise the inner cover to the rim and centre bar ----- petroleum jelly might help.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline Green bee

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 07:22:15 am »

So the finished product,  I screened over the syrup feeding end of the feeder and made it so I can block off the pollen feeding section when not in use.

Offline afgeubanks

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 10:59:23 pm »
Smart!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk