Author Topic: Small Hive Beetles call for aggressive defenses  (Read 3867 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Small Hive Beetles call for aggressive defenses
« on: March 02, 2017, 11:14:24 pm »
3Reds and I did a split last week.  I put in two frames of brood and two frames of honey, and one frame of foundation.  As I was putting in the last frame of brood, I spotted a SHB scurry across the frame.  I ignored it, thinking it was just one beetle, and the bees would control it.

We checked the nuc today, after a week, and found three queen cells.  However, two of the queen cells were on a frame that had slime and maggots over half of it.  I had to throw away two combs; one with brood and one with honey.  The honey frame was really heavy and full.

I noticed that there were not many bees in the hive, too.  I'm realizing the mistakes I made last week:  I didn't kill the SHB when I had the chance; I didn't shake enough bees into the nuc; and I didn't put a SHB trap in the nuc.

Tonight, I realize mistakes I made today.  In the moment, I just kind of panicked.  I wanted to get rid of the mess as quick as possible.  Although I didn't physically vomit (like Jen says she would), my brain did. 

The slime was only on one side of one half of the frame with the queen cells.  I could have cut off the slimed part, cleaned it up a bit, and put it back into the nuc.  Or, I could have at least cut out the queen cells and placed them in the same frame as the surviving queen cell.

Oh, speaking of the surviving queen cell, I accidentally cut of the top of the cell.  I could see the pupae in there, and I don't think she was hurt.  I hope the surviving bees will recap her.

Sitting here, typing this, I can still smell the fermented mess the shb caused.

yuck!
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Small Hive Beetles call for aggressive defenses
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:13:17 am »
Oh, the mess they make is unforgettable. >:(
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a
The following users thanked this post: Les

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 07:15:07 am »
Tough to deal with. I am soooooo not looking forward to the day we have to start dealing with SHB on top of all the other issues we as beekeepers have to face.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline rcannon

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 09:19:18 pm »
In my opinion, beetles as the biggest pest I face. There are plenty of effective treatments for mites but not beetles. Nothing I've seen yet works very well. The traps sorta work but leave a lot to be desired.
Mashing every one you see seems to work as well as anything on the market. If I see several on a frame, I just hit it on the top of the hive next to the one I'm working. Every beetle on it will fall off and I pressure test them.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 10:47:25 am »
Every beetle on it will fall off and I pressure test them.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That was good! :)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: Les

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 12:07:09 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:

Offline sc-bee

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 04:14:42 pm »
I noticed that there were not many bees in the hive, too.  I'm realizing the mistakes I made last week:  I didn't kill the SHB when I had the chance; I didn't shake enough bees into the nuc; and I didn't put a SHB trap in the nuc.

Maybe killing the one beetle would have given you self gratification but would not have changed the outcome. Hive beetle will fly 5 miles to locate a hive.
1)strong splits
2)as least space as possible
3) full sun
4) hard ground if possible no fertile soil (loose matter)
5)traps are ok
6) I like micro sheets (swiffers etc) better than traps

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 05:08:41 pm »
 Many keeps are using ground drenches to poison the soil under the hive. This will break the reproductive cycle of the beetles but won't stop them completely. Lately I have heard that salting the dirt under the hive is just as effective, I likely will try this. Nothing ventured...right? I have used diatomacious earth under my hives. Can't report it eradicated them, but I don't have a huge issue anyway.
 I have found that the higher off the ground the better. Mine are at least 18" to deter skunks. I suspect the height helps due to more sun and air flow drying out the ground. Also it allows my chickens to scratch under the hives and eat larvae and pupae.
 That said, these little creeps will take over in a weak hive. Queenless, diseased or recently swarmed hives are fair game and they will make a mess in a hurry. Good practice is to just give the colony the room they need will a little grow room. Empty boxes in a stack are just places for them to thrive.

Hope this is helpful. My experience is limited but this is what I have learned so far. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 05:30:15 pm »
I have been using DE around and under my hives, and I think this has helped.  I've spotted very few SHB in the beetle blasters and none on the sheets.  I also use freeman bottom boards.

However, I foolishly took no precautions with this nuc when I started it.  It is raining today, and rain is planned for the next week, so DE won't happen for a while.  I need to get back into all of my hives and equip them with the beetle blasters and sheets.

Complacency has no place when it comes to the SHB

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 05:37:59 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with Beetle Baffles?  I've run across these in my search for cleaning up my nuc:

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=beetle+baffle

I also watched this video.  Had to chuckle at the end, as he had to make a quick exit:

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 10:18:23 pm »
I'm leaning this way.
https://m.#
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 10:59:02 pm »
Thanks, CBT.  I saw that one, also.  I've got it marked so I can go back to it.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 10:02:03 am »
Yesterday I heard Dr. Keith Delaplane give a lecture on pests and diseases.  He mentioned something I had not heard of.  He is located in Georgia, which he said was the nematode capital of the world.  Maybe someone on the forum can confirm this?   :D  To control SHB he says they use nematodes.  He suggested purchasing nematodes from http://www.southeasterninsectaries.com/nematodes.php.  I am going to check this out.  Delaplane said that beetle traps were "fun" because it's fun to watch SHB die, but not that effective.
I have a pint of Gardstar, but never had the courage to use it.  I was always concerned I might kill my own colonies.
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 11:10:02 am »
I sprayed 10 million beneficial nematodes into my back and front yard last week.  Mine were microscopic, and I'm not sure the density was enough for our 1/2 acre.  Then the rains come.  The owner of the nursery where we bought them said they follow the water, so to be sure and water wherever we want the nematodes.  With the rains we've had since then, I suspect my poor little nematodes are spread over the down hill portion of our block.

We bought them to combat the grubworms that like to munch on the roots to our lawn.  But I was also sure to spray a few under the hives.

When things dry out here, I'll repeat the process, since I'm not sure they had time to work their way into the soil.

I've had conflicting advice on using nematodes and Diatomaceous Earth in combination.  My first advice was that you can't use both, as the DE will kill both.  My most recent advice was that it won't kill the nematodes.  As small as these were, I'm not worried about DE getting to them.  But if as big as in the photo from your link, I would think the DE would knock them out.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 11:14:45 am »
BTW: We paid about $20 for our nematodes.  And a correction, it was only 5 million, not 10.  I for sure need to redo the process.  My army of nematodes is not big enough.

You can find them on Amazon for a little bit less.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:36 am »
Well, now that I've watched the videos and read through the site.  Seems the Georgia operation is the only one that produces H. i. nematodes, and are the ones recommended for SHB.

I've ordered 5 million of the little critters.

You have to call him and talk to him directly.  He is busily producing more right now.  But says he may have some available, as the snows in the Northeast have triggered some cancellations.

Imagine spending your time reproducing bugs all day?

Ooops! Isn't that what we do?   :-[

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 01:08:59 pm »
Ooops! Isn't that what we do?

Welcome to the club WM!  Remember, the first step is admitting you have a problem, but the second step is more relevant to us..   admitting you may be a little wierd.    ;D

Interested to know how well the nematodes work, keep us updated please!
   Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 01:28:11 pm »
I will, Scott.

I don't have a huge problem with them anyway (except for my nuc), so I may not be able to tell you much about how effective they are with the SHB.

I should know sometime this fall regarding how well they do on the grubs (Japenese Beetle larvae?) in my lawn, however.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 06:04:52 pm »
I ordered 5 million as well.  They owner reinforced the idea of ordering in advance.  I have mine coming in mid April because of weather conditions.  That is our last frost free day here.  He didn't answer me directly when I inquired about whether the nematodes would work if the ground was cold or frozen.  I did get him to answer my question regarding the life of the nematodes once mixed with water.  They need to be applied to the soil pretty quickly.  The owner said they will float to the bottom and die.  Each 5 million treats 10 hives, but I have 3 here and 2 in another yard and 1 over there, etc.  I think I will have to divide the gel caps up to treat all my yards.
Let's post again when we get our products.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 06:43:57 pm »
OK, Bakers.

I don't know if I will get mine in several weeks, or in a few days.