Author Topic: Birth of a beekeeper association  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Birth of a beekeeper association
« on: March 02, 2017, 12:20:25 am »
After dragging my feet for a year, I finally pulled together a local community of beekeepers.  We met in a noisy restaurant tonight, which made it difficult to do much, other than visit with one another ...

... which is what I wanted to have happen. 

Twenty people showed up.  At least four that I invited didn't make it because of other obligations, including church.

The local Texas Agrilfe Extension service was represented by an entomologist.  Agrilife has generously offered to let us use their facilities in the future, so our next meeting should be a lot quieter, giving me a better chance at eavesdropping on the other folks' conversations.

We also had four representatives from two other Texas Beek associations.  One of the reps was Chris Barnes, from College Station.  I'm pretty sure he know Tecumseh.  I didn't get a chance to ask for any gossip on Tecumseh, though.

Most of the people have only been beekeeping for a year or less.  A few are waiting for bees to arrive.  One has been keeping bees for over 20 years.

I'm excited about getting to know these fine people a little better.  Nothing better than being in a room full of beekeepers.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Birth of a beekeeper association
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 12:52:54 am »

I was invited to talk in Kellog Iowa tonight.it is an hour and a half drive, but I went anyway, and had a great time! Talked bees and met some new beekeepers and even a few I had met in the past. I just don't know what it is, but if there are beekeepers there your going to have a ball talking and listening.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 02:55:39 am »
Good job, WMan!    8)  That's a great start.  When is the next meeting?  Shortly after the newbies packages arrive?  You know they will be full of questions.  Did you exchange phone numbers or emails?
This forum is a great resource, but the face to face exchange of local knowledge can't be beat.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 08:33:55 am »
Yes, Bakers, the next meeting will be after several of them get their bees.

We're meeting April 10 at 7:00 pm.

Everyone here is invited to attend!

Come on down!
Never argue with drunks or crazy people