Author Topic: Not as Evil as Media would have you believe?  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
Not as Evil as Media would have you believe?
« on: November 27, 2016, 12:16:41 pm »
This is well worth watching for those in areas with a chance of running into some Africanized influence in their bee yards. Have had no issues in my area and those to my South 100 miles that bee keep suggest you simply dress for the occasion and keep your hives further apart to avoid being ganged up on by bees from another hive when they smell alarm pheromones. They are however manageable with some adjustments to their special temperament....

Cheers, Bill

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Re: Not as Evil as Media would have you believe?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:34:59 pm »
😱 WOW,

I thought I'd heard hot bees before.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 02:35:16 pm »
Notice how he shows no fear and slow movement nothing quick to agitate the bees.  Hes been around them awhile and quite experienced
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 05:26:39 pm »
Interesting.  AHB in Puerto Rico are not as aggressive either.  Africanized, but on a course that is less aggressive.  The bees featured in the video are not the same as those in the south of the USA.  AHB here in Texas are not that docile.  Make a note, AHB have taken several tangents in their assimilation into EHB populations along the way as they have migrated from Brazil.   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 06:09:56 pm »
Musing here only, but could it be nature is hard at work making a few changes to better handle some issues facing the Honeybee? Hmmmmmm
Cheers, Bill

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 06:50:47 pm »
Musing here only, but could it be nature is hard at work making a few changes to better handle some issues facing the Honeybee? Hmmmmmm

That's what I was thinking.  From following conversations here and on several beek sites on facebook, it seems like we are having more swarms than in the past.  I'm wondering if that's not another bee adaptation to mites and SHB.

Bees are adapting, just not in the same directions that humans want.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 08:12:37 pm »
I have two hives that will put your gloves on for you.  I see people working bees without gloves, and I have five of those hives too, but I have two hives that no matter how much or how little smoke, they go after skin.  If you have a hole in the bee suit, they will find it, and regardless of how careful you work they go straight to an unprotected hand.

lazy

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 08:41:39 am »
I have a colony that I captured in a swarm box.  They are more defensive than the colony in the video. 

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 08:48:09 pm »
Dr. Seely seemed to think that the short term adaptation that the bees would use to deal with the mites was swarming. But that eventually, they wold learn to cope with them better within the hive.

I think i could work africanized hives, but working them is not my primary concern..  its the horses, kids and mowing around my hives that demand I have gentle bees.
  If there comes a time that all bees are aggressive, I will still have them, but it will only be four to six hives down in the bottom where no one will fuss with them.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 05:39:15 am »
Dr Rangel (at the Texas A&M Bee lab) WanderingMan access and test a set of hives down in the Welder Wildlife area.  Depending on the years (drought or no drought) the bees there are somewhat to highly africanized and given your location bees there should also reflect the same genetic origins < always be mindful that the 'africanized bees' are very much a hybrid mix and what you get in terms of disposition is pretty well reflected in the above video.  the africanized bees do somewhat get a bad rap in that there are plenty of examples from very talented bee folks that clearly suggest they do not always live up to their reputation.  Steve Taber seems to have suggested this decades ago and Mr Winston (a Canadian writer and bee biologist) seems to suggest that their disposition can vary greatly depending on location, elevation and season < note here... some of the same conditions that may make european honey bees gentle or grumpy.

ps... the africanize bees is also somewhat smaller so if you wish to go the small cell route these may the just the right bees for you< sarcasm) and if you wear a standard bee hat you may wish to plug those vents and holes in the hat since the africanize bee is quite capable of squeezing thru those <sarcasm NOT).

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 09:03:38 am »
Dr Rangel (at the Texas A&M Bee lab) WanderingMan access and test a set of hives down in the Welder Wildlife area.  Depending on the years (drought or no drought) the bees there are somewhat to highly africanized and given your location bees there should also reflect the same genetic origins < always be mindful that the 'africanized bees' are very much a hybrid mix and what you get in terms of disposition is pretty well reflected in the above video.  the africanized bees do somewhat get a bad rap in that there are plenty of examples from very talented bee folks that clearly suggest they do not always live up to their reputation.  Steve Taber seems to have suggested this decades ago and Mr Winston (a Canadian writer and bee biologist) seems to suggest that their disposition can vary greatly depending on location, elevation and season < note here... some of the same conditions that may make european honey bees gentle or grumpy.

ps... the africanize bees is also somewhat smaller so if you wish to go the small cell route these may the just the right bees for you< sarcasm) and if you wear a standard bee hat you may wish to plug those vents and holes in the hat since the africanize bee is quite capable of squeezing thru those <sarcasm NOT).

We used to own a bit of property across the Aransas River from Welder. I never made it onto their refuge, but my oldest son spent a summer working for one of the professors there, as an Aggie intern.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 06:02:47 pm »
With africanized bees, the choice of not wearing a veil or gloves.. or even a suit is gone. Yes, they may be gentle for weeks at a time, but they can be set off more easily.  So, I guess, in essence, Africanized bees are MUCH more like the females we live with and marry...  you walk in the house smiling and happy to be home and WHAM....    Yep, THEY had a bad day, so guess who is going to PAY for it?

:yes: ;D  :laugh:

*Sponsor*

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 06:38:10 pm »
With africanized bees, the choice of not wearing a veil or gloves.. or even a suit is gone. Yes, they may be gentle for weeks at a time, but they can be set off more easily.  So, I guess, in essence, Africanized bees are MUCH more like the females we live with and marry...  you walk in the house smiling and happy to be home and WHAM....    Yep, THEY had a bad day, so guess who is going to PAY for it?

:yes: ;D  :laugh:

Ohhh boy ...
Somebody's gonna get slammed tonight!

LazyBkpr, we have lady beeks among us.  They likely have a different opinion from the one you stated.

:bee: :bee: :bee:

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 09:47:25 pm »
............. :D :D :D

wm, just send 3reds after scott, then i will chime in.............oh and jen and bakers too......... :D :D :laugh:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 10:53:21 pm »
Open mouth insert.....  :laugh:
Cheers, Bill

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 11:01:15 pm »
............. :D :D :D

wm, just send 3reds after scott, then i will chime in.............oh and jen and bakers too......... :D :D :laugh:

Actually, I think I'll just hide her tablet for a while.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 11:05:22 pm »
Oh,  now, be careful!  I got my wife when she slapped me.. I followed her around making puppy eyes until she married me! Fair warning!    :laugh:

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 12:12:05 am »
.............. :D

you guys are too funny!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor