Author Topic: Vietnam Nam Memorial replica  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Vietnam Nam Memorial replica
« on: February 10, 2017, 10:32:08 pm »
The 1/2 scale memorial was close by tonight, in Cuero, Texas.

This was my first time to see the memorial.

My brother served as a helicopter pilot around Pleiku, and survived, although he died while training troops after he came home.

Even though he's not on the memorial, I couldn't help but be moved.

So many names. Too many names. Each one representing a shortened life, a grieving family. It is just hard to comprehend.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Vietnam Nam Memorial replica
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 10:35:00 pm »
One of the most moving and sobering memorials ever. At least to those from our generation.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:05:35 pm »
thanks wm, great photo.

i have never been to the memorial; the vietnam war affected our family....their names are engraved.

two helicopter pilots, navy and marine.........and one marine pfc rifleman blasted out of the sky (entire company), no survivors. 

another i was engaged to marry, a marine pilot, i still think of him to this day.  it's haunting.  although life goes on, some things can never be forgotten.

others in my family who did come back minus a limb buried themselves in alcohol and drugs and one took his own life. 

very sobering.

i will never forget.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 11:08:37 pm »

They actually had that one, or one just like it here in my little bitty home town. It brought people from all over to see it. There were way too many names on it that I knew, so it was a sobering experience. Once you realize just how many names are ON that wall, it becomes even more sobering.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 11:22:57 pm »
I recently saw a program on PBS about family trees.  One of the featured celebrities on the program was the young lady that designed the Vietnam memorial.  Her class in architectural design had been given a college  assignment to design a memorial worthy of entering the competition.  The teacher didn't like her submission and there fore didn't submit it.  She got a B on the assignment.  She was indignant about the instructor's reaction, and so she entered it herself.
Thanks for posting the picture, WM.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 11:23:27 am »
The teacher didn't like her submission and there fore didn't submit it.

Three years ago my sisters daughter did a college assignment... refuting everything her professor "preached"...     Of course she got an F on the assignment.. a lawyer was hired and a lot of money was spent.. the college backed down and the prof was reprimanded...  My Niece passed the class, but to this day will go off the deep end if he is mentioned in her presence...    As i understand it he was extreme left wing liberal, and of course my sisters Girl is center line moderate.
   One of my wifes best friends is a Prof at a college in Maine with a doctorate...   She actually QUIT her first job because they demanded she adhere to a liberal standard of teaching...
   I am somewhat confused at how such things are allowed. And angered that personal agendas are the methods used in such teaching.
   I myself have taken the school system to court when my son was expelled for telling his friends he got a new "GUN" for Christmas...
   I accept that people are different and believe in different things. I would never try to force my beliefs down anyone's throat, so seeing someone else try to do that exact thing riles me up.
   My Brother in law, and best friend decided to become a Jehova's witness..  and tried for almost a year to get me to join..  When I told him what I thought he did not talk to me for thirteen years..  Fortunately, he got over it, and five years ago when I visited Maine he "started" talking to me again, he came out here to visit and we got along like nothing had ever happened.  I was Driving through town, and saw the witnesses going door to door so stopped to talk to them...   when we drove away.. he said.. i thought you hated religion?   I said.. Not at all, i go to church, I only hate someone trying to force me into something.  Nothing else has ever been said about it and we are great friends again.
   Anyhow.. rant over.. sorry Michelle touched a nerve....   Back to the Memorial discussion!!!!

*Sponsor*

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 04:53:13 pm »
lazy,

Amen, Brother!
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 10:33:24 am »
No comment on governmental/educational/penal policies or philosophies then or now--just thought I would post this--

http://www.virtualwall.org/iStates.htm
The following users thanked this post: riverbee, Wandering Man

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 04:27:54 pm »
In 1984 when I met my wife I was still in the system trying to get my head screwed back on right. She made every effort I would nor could forget 1966 thru 1968 in SE Asia. She drug me to see that dumb movie platoon even to try and get me to except it happened.

July 1986 we were on a motor cycle vacation in Michigan's UP, almost all week that kept telling people to come to Escanaba to Delta CC to see it. Kare kept saying I should go, I should go and find the name of my friend, a short time friend of less than 60 days. Also the name of a high school class mate and others I knew.
I kept telling her no I was not going to see that wall I don't want to see that wall but I gave in. Was a really pretty Thursday afternoon when we got there and registered as a Nam vet. got assigned to a guide to help in the search for my friends and old class mates name. We had to walk a couple miles down town to sit along the bay so I could get my chit together. After 3 or 4 hours we walked back and I was able to once again start and ride with out fear the motorcycle away from there.

Sure is a somber experiencing seeing all those names, who gave their every thing for our country all in vain. Today people buy products from there and care less of all who died there.

I never want to see that wall again the pictures I have of my alive friend and the high school year book with my class mate in it is enough. But I will never for get and will continue to bitch and raise hades about the way VN vets were and are treated even today.

;D   Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 05:11:50 pm »
In 1984 when I met my wife I was still in the system trying to get my head screwed back on right. She made every effort I would nor could forget 1966 thru 1968 in SE Asia. She drug me to see that dumb movie platoon even to try and get me to except it happened.

July 1986 we were on a motor cycle vacation in Michigan's UP, almost all week that kept telling people to come to Escanaba to Delta CC to see it. Kare kept saying I should go, I should go and find the name of my friend, a short time friend of less than 60 days. Also the name of a high school class mate and others I knew.
I kept telling her no I was not going to see that wall I don't want to see that wall but I gave in. Was a really pretty Thursday afternoon when we got there and registered as a Nam vet. got assigned to a guide to help in the search for my friends and old class mates name. We had to walk a couple miles down town to sit along the bay so I could get my chit together. After 3 or 4 hours we walked back and I was able to once again start and ride with out fear the motorcycle away from there.

Sure is a somber experiencing seeing all those names, who gave their every thing for our country all in vain. Today people buy products from there and care less of all who died there.

I never want to see that wall again the pictures I have of my alive friend and the high school year book with my class mate in it is enough. But I will never for get and will continue to bitch and raise hades about the way VN vets were and are treated even today.

;D   Al

Thank you for everything you gave (and gave up) for the rest of us, Al.
I pray that you are finding some peace and that none of us ever forget.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 03:21:33 am »
Thank you for sharing with us those very emotional thoughts and experiences, Al. I am happy you have a wife who cares so deeply.
Also, its great to see you posting.

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 06:02:40 pm »
I guess I should clarify the statement on how VN vets were and are treated. I should have rounded it to say all vets, the VA health care system in most places is very poor.

It really riles me when I see the story on the News that a freedom rider group,  VVA group, AL or VFW get together to build a wheel chair ramp for a disabled vet. Or remodel the vets home so they can get around inside it.

I feel that our government is responsible for vets health and welfare till the day they die. Till recently the clowns who some times spend time in Washington got forever health coverage and they never gave up what some vets have.

This country spends more in Foreign aid than is spent in Health care for vets. These new wars with dust offs save the lives of way more Vets who have lost legs arms or in the case one vet near me all his arms and legs. So there are more needing special equipment to live life to the fullest.

;D    Al

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 09:31:07 pm »
i think we have 'swayed' off a little from the intent of the thread discussion...........?

let's try to stay on track to the topic of the thread. it's about discussion of the memorial and replica, i think remembrance and honor to those who served?  hard memories for many of us, harder for those who served and survived. there is nothing that will 'heal' or bring any 'peace' over this controversy, or controversial subject.

bakers, i had read about the young lady(maya lin) who designed the memorial but did not see this on pbs.  will have to find it.  her story, and design of the memorial, is quite moving and educational.  anyone can google this info if you are not familiar.

i have never seen the memorial, i hope someday i will.  just want to see it.  i want to find the names of the members of my family/extended family/lost loved ones, and run my fingers across the name engraved in stone, take an etching, say another prayer in my own way, and a thank you.

jacobs posted a great site on the 'virtual wall' a few posts back.  you can also obtain a virtual rubbing of a name engraved on the memorial here:

Virtual Rubbing: Search the Wall

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 11:12:11 am »
i think we have 'swayed' off a little from the intent of the thread discussion...........?

Just a little, but it is still relevant isnt it? Are the memories and feeling caused by that wall not part of what the wall is and means?

;D   Al

Alleyooper... feel free to stop in anytime. you have a place to stay, free food and beverages waiting, and if the need arises there are a few dozen, if not hundred people nearby willing to stand back to back with you anywhere and anytime. Small town with lots of Vets.
   The thing that bothers me most here, is that Vets like yourself don't say anything, they don't talk about it or admit to having been there.  I understand all too well that there are some things you don't talk about. Even my own son has things he will not talk about from being across the pond, but I believe more vets SHOULD admit they are vets, and allow everyone else to put those who may look down on our vets in their place.   As I see it, anyone who looks down on our vets (US!) Well, they should not have the right to live within our borders and be free.
   I stand with you, and ALL vets.   The wall is about memories. It causes pain, but as I see it, that pain is what keeps our friends and family alive in our hearts, so we can't ever forget, even if it is hard to live with the pain it causes.
   Scott

*Sponsor*

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 05:25:11 am »
Thank you.
That wall stirs up feelings, for many they are like the ones I experienced others not so much but they were not even born before Granada happened.

there is a museum for the things left at that wall.

"The collection includes objects directly related to military service (dog tags, patches, uniforms and military clothing, combat boots, c-rations, discharge papers, photographs, and metals); archival materials (letters, poems, birth announcements, birthday cards, personal dedications, newspaper obituaries, books, Bibles, family photographs, and Vietnam snap-shots); personal offerings associated with the names on the wall (high school diplomas, teddy bears, liquor bottles, records, and clothing); and protest items (Missing in Action and Prisoner of War bracelets) and more."

You can find out if the traveling wall is going to be in your area in 2017 here.
http://www.vvmf.org/2017-twth-tour

;D  Al

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 09:53:48 pm »
... the VA health care system in most places is very poor.
It happened that we took our dog to the Vet the same week of my one and only visit to the VA Hospital in Denver...The dog got better, more caring health care that week.  :-/

The wall is a moving experience, thanks to all who sacrificed and served.  :)
Lee_Burough