Author Topic: First Swarm  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
First Swarm
« on: February 14, 2017, 01:10:06 am »
Wife has been going around to the nursery's talking to them about bee-friendly plants.  Apparently some of the local nursery owners have been interested in her stories about our bees, because they are remembering her.

Wife got a call from a local cemetery this afternoon about some bees that have been bothering folk.  Wife handed me the phone, and the next thing I know wife and I have loaded some beek equipment into the truck, and we're heading to the cemetery.

It was a pretty small swarm, and easy to catch.  They had chosen the lid to an underground water faucet, the kind used to turn a sprinkler system on and off.

Wife and I know more than folk who don't keep bees, so the cemetery workers were impressed.  Actually, I think they were just impressed because of our fancy white hooded jackets, and stylish long sleeved gloves.

Capturing the bees went pretty well for a total newbie, probably pretty bad for someone who actually had done this before.

I scooped the bees out and dropped them into the Nuc I had brought. I did not put any brood or even drawn wax frames in the nuc, just some empty frames.  And I took those out after the bees all crawled out the first time.

I had sprayed a bit of swarm commander into the hive before dumping the bees into the hive.  When I pushed the bees back into the nuc and put the lid on, the queen (whom I never met) must have decided to try to make the best of a bad situation.  She remained inside the nuc and the bees began to calmly make their way inside.

With most of the bees in the nuc, I closed front door to the nuc.  Here's were I realized I really had the wrong kind of a nuc.  I had one that is intended for raising a hive, not for capturing the swarm.  With the front entrance closed, there was no air for the bees to circulate.  It was a cool 70F by this time, and so I wasn't too worried about the head.

However, I now had a bunch of bees in a box that wasn't attached to the bottom, had a piece of wood and some sticks jammed into the entrance, and had an inner cover and telescoping cover for the top.  Way too many disconnected pieces.

I got the bees to my truck, but accidentally slid the nuc off of the bottom board, thus opening a gap in the back and and front.  A bunch of bees filled the air, while the cemetery worker scrambled to his car, and I tried to realign all of the floating pieces.

I know I still had the queen.  The bees were now attaching themselves to my truck.

Wife and I made the trip home without incident.  A few of the bees even rode in the cab with us.

I situated the nuc next to one of my hives, then opened the entrance.  I added the sorry looking empty frames, and wife poured some sugar water into a frame feeder.  Wife mentioned that she was pretty sure she saw the queen leave out the front entrance as I was opening the top to the nuc.

I think she must have gone the the hive next door to ask for a cup of honey and to introduce herself.

There were a lot of bees on the front porch of the neighboring hive all of a sudden.  I didn't see vicious attacks, but it did look like there was some pushing and shoving.

The nuc was pretty empty when I peeked inside.  So I'm sure the queen is gone.

I've learned to bring the right kind of nuc.

I think I might have stood a better chance of not losing the swarm if I had found the queen and put her in a cage.  I don't have drawn comb available, and I'm not sure how to orchestrate the whole "grab a frame of brood and stick it in the box" thing.  Besides the logistics of having both the nuc and the hive open at the same time, it, I'm worried that it is so early in the season, my hive would be able to stand the loss of a frame of brood.

This should have been easy.  And it really was.  I know it'll go more smoothly if I get a second chance, although I'm still not confident in my ability to keep the swarm.

It doesn't sound reasonable to me that the queen and her followers would have just flown into the hive next door.  Has anyone else seen this happen?  I didn't see a lot of dead bees on the ground this evening, but it was dark.  I'll check in the morning.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: First Swarm
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 07:20:09 am »
Not sure what to tell you about the queen flying to the hive next door, it's possible I guess. The most valuable thing though is the experience you have gained. The next call you get you have already discovered what you "might" need to bring along.
One suggestion if I could, invest the $5 or $6 in one of those queen clips. I would say around a third of the time when collecting a swarm or cut-out, you may actually get to see the queen, and nothing ensures success like having a queen in a clip, placed inside of your collecting box.
For a first ever catch I would say you did well, you got the bees home. :goodjob:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 08:37:50 am »
Thank you, Perry.

I wish I'd thought about the queen clip while at the cemetery.

I did get to use one, however.

Wife brought a bee into the house with her she was sitting in the ceiling light fixture (bee, not wife). I used the queen clip to catch her and send her outside.

We've got 2" rain this morning. Those poor bees would have been flooded out by the thunderstorm we're having.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 08:39:50 am »
Wife and I. I'm pretending I know what I'm doing ...

The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 11:19:54 am »
Hi Wman :) This kind of news gets the rest of us itchy for all the spring bee stuff.

Love my queen clip! And for the most part I usually spot the queen and nab her. When you get your queen in the clip, just be very careful where you set the clip down. Definitely not in the direct sun. Disaster in just a couple of minutes. Don't ask me how I know that  :sad:
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 11:58:31 am »
"I think she must have gone the the hive next door to ask for a cup of honey and to introduce herself.
There were a lot of bees on the front porch of the neighboring hive all of a sudden." 

my guess is that's where your queen was, wherever she goes they go.  and yes queens fly quite well and sometimes are ditzy...... :D
if she is in fact in the hive next door, only one queen will survive.

you and your wife did great!   nice video too!  fun scooping bees?!!!   :yes:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 12:05:04 pm »
Good job. About the only thing I might have done differently would be to have put in the frames and the inner cover on sooner (before the 3 minute mark on the video). If the queen is in there the bees will find the entrance and less chance of her flying off.
Well done!
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 12:50:13 pm »
Yes, it was fun scooping up bees!

Perry,

Your right. She did climb out. Wife and I had to scoop her and the crowd of bees back in the box. The second time, I left the frames out, thinking wife would have an easier time knocking the bees on of the outer cover into the hive.

I had not witnessed how well the bees obey the queen presence before.

It was cool to watch as the number of flying bees diminished.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 01:20:11 pm »
Good Goin' Wman and wifey, you'll be talking about this for awhile. Exciting and a little nerve wracking  ;D 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 01:32:26 pm »
Wandering Man says: "We've got 2" rain this morning. Those poor bees would have been flooded out by the thunderstorm we're having."
efmesch says:  Another reason why the  partnership between bees and beekeepers is beneficial.

Good Job Wandering Man Family.  Keep working together, you'll love each other more for the experiences.
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 05:31:55 pm »
You'll be surprised at what happens if you get the queen in the first scoop. I've caught them where I actually saw the queen on the outside of a swarm so I clipped her and set her in the box. Within minutes the bees will do a march, sometimes over several feet once they know where she is. If you google bee march I bet there are all kinds of videos.
Forum Supporter

Offline Green bee

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 08:33:07 pm »
I was just wondering,  I have no experience catching swarms like this but could you have sprayed them real good with sugar water before putting them in the hive? Or would it have made a difference?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 09:13:09 pm »
you don't really need to spray them with sugar water green bee. if the queen is in the box, the bees will follow.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor
The following users thanked this post: Green bee