Author Topic: Ouch!  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Ouch!
« on: January 29, 2017, 11:46:29 pm »
I tilled Wife's vegetable garden today and found a lot of grub worms in the soil.  I picked out a bunch and put them in the bird feeder for any of our bug-eating birds.

I was in the workshop putting my tools away when a bee flew in.  I stopped what I was doing and waited for her to finish her inspection of me.  I thought I would just watch when she landed on my wrist.  I was a little worried that she might crawl into the cuff of my work glove, get caught and sting me.

I shouldn't have worried.

She stopped short of the cuff and stung me anyway!

Was this retribution for sentencing those grubs to death?  Was she the same bee I had seen scouring the bird seed earlier when I dumped the grubs in the feeder?

Anyway, my wrist hurts and its swelling, reminding me that Bakersdozen had a remedy for bee stings which I can't seem to find with the search function.

Bakersdozen, if you're listening out there, what was your secret recipe?  I'm probably too late for this sting, but if the girls are going to start hunting me down in my workshop, I'd better have some on hand.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Ouch!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 09:23:00 am »
Wow!  That's cranky. I have had a bee or two follow me into the hive and want to sting me, but they were from a swarm that turned nasty.  I would be inclined to think the tiller got this one worked up.
http://bradbkr.tripod.com/
Baker's Venom Cleanser.  Zulu is the one that originally posted about this product. I think the best results are had if you apply it immediately.  If you can, walk away from the hive and use it.  Apply a drop or two, rub it in.  If pain returns, apply again.  Repeat as necessary.  It is the only thing I have found that reduces or eliminates the redness, itching, swelling, and burning.
It's a miracle cure!!  :)
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline cpekarek

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:33:59 am »
According to this article, there isn't much you can do other than Ice, Calamine Lotion and Benadryl.

http://www.beeculture.com/bee-venom-chemistry-ouch/
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:41:02 am »
Wow!  That's cranky. I have had a bee or two follow me into the hive and want to sting me, but they were from a swarm that turned nasty.  I would be inclined to think the tiller got this one worked up.
http://bradbkr.tripod.com/
Baker's Venom Cleanser.  Zulu is the one that originally posted about this product. I think the best results are had if you apply it immediately.  If you can, walk away from the hive and use it.  Apply a drop or two, rub it in.  If pain returns, apply again.  Repeat as necessary.  It is the only thing I have found that reduces or eliminates the redness, itching, swelling, and burning.
It's a miracle cure!!  :)

I hadn't considered it was the tiller. I was a good distance away. But the bees might be a little more testy, trying to do their Spring shopping in mid-winter.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 09:49:54 am »
Thanks for the link BD, ordered some of that.....  :yes:
Cheers, Bill

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 09:53:04 am »
According to this article, there isn't much you can do other than Ice, Calamine Lotion and Benadryl.

Thanks for the post

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 10:05:39 am »

Because of glaucoma, I can't use Benadryl. 

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 07:04:00 pm »
Wow!  that is a little cranky.. I would have done the same thing and waited for her to fly off.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 02:08:59 pm »
No worries here in NYS, ground is frozen solid so won't be tilling anything.  As a matter of fact, I am laying here with my furry heating pad watching the snow come down  :\'(