Author Topic: Swarm trap ?  (Read 14445 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Re: Swarm trap ?
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2017, 12:05:59 pm »
Built these yesterday.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2017, 02:01:08 pm »
They look good, Mikey.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2017, 04:49:17 pm »
I went back and looked over my notes on Dr. Seeley's work. He found that a 40 liter box was about the ideal size. This is the size a prime swarm is looking for. A smaller or after swarm will move into either size but a large swarm will avoid the smaller box. A ten frame deep is almost a perfect 40L. A five frame nuc is half that size so I infer that a double nuc would make a fine trap.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a
The following users thanked this post: CBT

Offline Green bee

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2017, 05:08:53 pm »
The ones I made are 30L , now you got me thinking Neil I might have to build some bigger ones. :-X
Those look good Mikey, looks like you have some mad skills going on  :yes:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline Green bee

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 05:15:38 pm »
Hey mikey you plan on using any lure (Lemmon grass oil or swarm commander)? If so keep keep us posted on your results. I want to see if the swarm commander is worth $29.00 a bottle. I have 4 traps out using both lures. There all several miles apart so I don't know if it's gonna be a good comparison or not so I may go back and set close together to see how it works.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2017, 08:42:05 pm »
Hope to try it and home made lure side by side. They look great Mikey, prime and paint them so you can use them more than one year. Don't ask how I know that. ;D

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2017, 09:07:19 am »
That would be awesome if you did CBT , we could compare notes. I wish I could find a colony in I tree somewhere to hang two identical traps side by side with different lures just to see which would be chosen.
A tempting thought Green Bee.   :yes:

The result would not be scientific however.  Consider the test if you put two lures out as you describe with no LGO or Sw Comm, yet the bees choose one over the other.  It could be chance, or another variable, that decides which lure they choose.  You would need a bigger number to decide whether LGO or Sw Comm had an advantage.  It would still be fun to do, either way.  :)

Bee season is upon us in the South of the USA!  Days are brighter, moods are better, it's a great time of year to be a beekeeper.    8)

Hang in there Perry, your time is coming.  :)
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: Perry

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2017, 09:32:12 am »

The result would not be scientific however.  Consider the test if you put two lures out as you describe with no LGO or Sw Comm, yet the bees choose one over the other.  It could be chance, or another variable, that decides which lure they choose.  You would need a bigger number to decide whether LGO or Sw Comm had an advantage.  It would still be fun to do, either way.  :)

Ditto to what Lee stated.   Taking it a step further,  if neither attract a swarm does that indicate your 'lure' is actually a 'deterrent'?

Whatever you choose to do,  I think you will find there is no better lure that old comb.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Green bee

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2017, 12:06:29 pm »
I totally agree with both you guys, even if you set to identical traps side by side or three even , one with just old comb and two with different lures you still wouldn't  know for sure why one was chosen over the other, could be something as simple as they liked where one was setting better than the other two. It would probably take a period of years to determine somewhat conclusive evidence of the effectiveness of lures. But for me it's all in fun as Lburou was saying. You also have to take into consideration what Robo is saying , does it have ill effects on the Bee's overall. I hear a lot of people say (and I am sure it's true) using to much will actually act as a repellent. I followed the instructions to the word for the swarm commander and only used two drops of Lemmon grass oil on a cotton swab in the other traps. Nonetheless we will see might not catch a single thing and may catch something in every box , who knows. Either way I'll be enjoying the results. ;D thanks for all your thoughts :yes:

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2017, 01:55:06 pm »
Did you include comb in your traps as well?   Not sure if you followed the link I provided earlier in this thread, but it gives an overview of my experience with traps sizes and lures.

Even though I'm convinced that comb is the best lure,  I still use lure in each trap as well to hedge my bets.   Not sure I could justify the benefit of $29 lure in my mind though.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2017, 02:28:50 pm »
  Not sure I could justify the benefit of $29 lure in my mind though.

Your wife did and it worked on you buddy, it's called perfume!  :laugh:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Green bee

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2017, 05:02:52 pm »

Your wife did and it worked on you buddy, it's called perfume!  :laugh:
  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Green bee

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2017, 05:05:40 pm »
Did you include comb in your traps as well?   Not sure if you followed the link I provided earlier in this thread, but it gives an overview of my experience with traps sizes and lures.

Even though I'm convinced that comb is the best lure,  I still use lure in each trap as well to hedge my bets.   Not sure I could justify the benefit of $29 lure in my mind though.
yes there are comb in them, I agree with you on the $29 I haven't told the wife :no: ;D but it will do a lot of traps if it works it would be worth it

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2017, 06:52:58 pm »
The $29 stuff comes in a 2 oz bottle full. 2 sprays on the inner cover and two on the landing board. So how many traps can you do with that? 100 = .29  50= .58 25 = $1.16. The vials are 5 for $10.20. The bottle is a very good bargain.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2017, 09:49:23 am »
I put a 10 frame deep next to nuc box. With LGO on cotton ball stuffed in a straw (CBT) inboth boxes.

Interesting observation , in the nuc box i heated up some of the leftover black comb( after melting)

Rubbed all inside. The bees a ignoring the 10 frame box and are going straight to nuc.
The following users thanked this post: Green bee

Offline Green bee

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2017, 11:41:48 am »
Robo said it was hard to beat the comb in the box, he may just be on to something :yes:  thank for sharing Mikey!!

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2017, 12:13:08 pm »
I have a frame of old drawn comb in each box. Just didn't rub the old melted comb on inside of 10 frame.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2017, 04:37:44 pm »

Sorry, just havin a hard time letting it go! :)
Robo, think about it, a nice gift of "perfume" for your wife, and even better, you can probably write it off at tax time ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Green bee

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2017, 07:03:51 pm »
 :laugh:

Sorry, just havin a hard time letting it go! :)
Robo, think about it, a nice gift of "perfume" for your wife, and even better, you can probably write it off at tax time ;D
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: omg Perry

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2017, 11:36:31 pm »
I set out a lure this week.  I placed three frames of brood comb, (sprayed with BT azawai to kill wax moths), two frames with ritecell and one or two empty frames in an 8 frame deep.  I put four pumps of swarm commander on the top of the frames and bottom of the box and a pump at the entrance.  The entrance is 1 1/4" hole.  Here is a pic of the location (with a different box with similar strategies). I have caught a swarm here each of the last four years.

This was three years ago, same spot...

Lee_Burough