Author Topic: Swarm trap ?  (Read 14528 times)

Offline Green bee

Swarm trap ?
« on: January 22, 2017, 11:59:38 pm »
So I was thinking of maybe setting up some swarm traps this year. Was trying to get a feel for the right time to set them. Do bees typically swarm more in the spring or could this very mild winter we are having cause some early swarming. Could we possibly see swarming in February? Should I go ahead and set some or wait till march or April. Sorry for the stupid question but I really don't know exactly what to do .
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Barbarian

Re: Swarm trap ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 04:48:42 am »
In the UK there is an old rhyme which could be remnant from when bees were kept in skeps  .....

A swarm in May is worth a load of hay.
A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon.
A swarm in July ..... Let it fly.

I think the idea is that a captured swarm in May or June will build up to give a honey crop.

Beekeeping has changed. A late swarm is unlikely to give a honey crop but with a beekeeper's care it can have value to survive to be used the next year.

When to set swarm traps can vary in respect to location and weather. I usually start to put out my traps in April.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 07:18:27 am »
Boy, like Barbarian says, it really a regional thing, but as far as swarm traps, why not put them out early? Nothing ventured nothing gained so to speak. If they are out there early, foragers will find them, and I read some where they believe that foragers can "remember" possible potential new homes.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: Green bee

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:29:02 am »
In the UK there is an old rhyme which could be remnant from when bees were kept in skeps  .....

A swarm in May is worth a load of hay.
A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon.
A swarm in July ..... Let it fly.

I think the idea is that a captured swarm in May or June will build up to give a honey crop.

We say the same rhyme here in Kansas.  A July, or later swarm, you will need to feed, feed, feed and they still may not build up enough to live through the winter.

I would think some things to consider when putting bait hives out early would be replacing any phermone or lemon grass oil as needed.  I added a frame of drawn comb to my swarm lure last year.  I didn't have any problems with wax moths or small hive beetle, but it could happen.   
Some of the keeps on this forum have posted about late swarms.  I believe rober had some in September?  Maybe blueblood too.  Those late swarms could be combined with weak hives in the fall. (After a mite check  :yes:)

Perry:  Could it be that some foragers take on the role of scout bee when the colony begins swarm procedures?  Also, if you watch a swarm lure box you will see bees just checking it out.  No swarm, just curiosity.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 09:58:43 am »
Hey Baker. Apparently when foragers go out sourcing for supplies, when they encounter a potential new home, that information is relayed and stored for possible future use. I forget where I was following the discussion or read about it, but from what I remember it made sense.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Green bee

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 10:35:08 pm »
Boy, like Barbarian says, it really a regional thing, but as far as swarm traps, why not put them out early? Nothing ventured nothing gained so to speak. If they are out there early, foragers will find them, and I read some where they believe that foragers can "remember" possible potential new homes.
looking at it like that makes sense to me, what's gonna hurt? I can't think of a thing :)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 10:45:48 pm »
Are there plans for building a swarm trap on this site anywhere?
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Green bee

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 10:54:07 pm »
from what I have seen most folks use a five frame nuc box with a 3/4 inch hole in the front. I think that's what I am gonna try.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 10:59:53 pm »
I don't have the carpentry tools or skills to build an actual hive box.

I think I might be able to build something like this:

http://www.horizontalhive.com/how-to-build/swarm-trap-free-plans.shtml

Offline Green bee

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 11:08:42 pm »
Hey I like those plans wandering man, I might have to give that a try myself . Thanks for sharing the link! I'll check out that audio to ;D Thanks

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 08:32:19 am »
Hey Baker. Apparently when foragers go out sourcing for supplies, when they encounter a potential new home, that information is relayed and stored for possible future use. I forget where I was following the discussion or read about it, but from what I remember it made sense.
I heard that Tom Seeley had done some research on that theory. 
This is fascinating.
Green Bee:  Too much phermone or lemongrass oil can have an adverse effect.  Also, you probably won't see any swarming until there is a nectar flow.

Offline Green bee

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 09:55:12 am »
Ok I didn't think of that bakersdozen, but it does sound logical. Thanks!

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 03:27:13 pm »
I followed the plans from the link above, except that I used old 1/4 inch plywood I had on hand.  So the box is a bit more flimsy. I have no carpentry skills, so it is really ugly.  But, this is what the concept looks like:

I went ahead and mounted it in a tree, squirted a bit of Swarm Commander in it, and the bees are already circling.  There were four or five checking it out until I pulled out my phone.  Then they all left, but I did get one or two to come back:

Offline Green bee

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 09:18:28 pm »
I am no expert wondering man but looks good to me, I think I may make a few of these myself.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 09:57:21 am »
Thanks for the pictures, Wandering Man.  I don't have any carpentry skills either, or the time, or the tools, or the space.   :D  That is inspirational.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 10:30:53 am »
from what I have seen most folks use a five frame nuc box with a 3/4 inch hole in the front. I think that's what I am gonna try.

Green bee,
Per my usual modus operandi, I jumped before I researched.

I bought two nucs with the intention of using them as swarm traps. 

Only after they were ordered did I start digging deeper into what was being written about swarm traps or bait boxes.

I learned that there is a specific size space scout bees look for, and a nuc is a little small for the honeybees we want to attract.  Africanized honeybees, however, are willing to move into the smaller, nuc sized spaces.  Since I live in an Africanized area, I decided I had better not risk using a nuc.

The swarm trap I built didn't take very long, is built entirely out of scraps of wood I had on hand.  Having gaps and holes may be an advantage for building the thing.  I was advised to use glue and screws, as nails are unreliable for a box designed to sit in a tree due to the motion of the tree and the box that can wriggle the nails free.

Offline Green bee

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 07:19:14 pm »
Thanks wandering man I'll take your advise to heart, I need all the help I can get :yes: keep us posted on how it works for ya. I hope you catch a pile of bees :D

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 09:06:20 am »
"from what I have seen most folks use a five frame nuc box with a 3/4 inch hole in the front. I think that's what I am gonna try."

I would be cautious about that. In Dr. Seeley's book Honeybee Democracy, he explains that swarms are very interested in the volume of cavities, it plays a big role in their decision. I think a 5 frame box would not be near as appealing as a 10 frame one.
Forum Supporter

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 11:50:57 am »
swarms are very interested in the volume of cavities, it plays a big role in their decision. I think a 5 frame box would not be near as appealing as a 10 frame one.

Cavity size is key.  Seeley recommends 40L,  but I found 30L works well
https://beevac.com/swarm-traps/

My plans are here -> https://beevac.com/downloads/

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

The following users thanked this post: Perry, Green bee