Author Topic: Here we go again...  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: Here we go again...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 08:44:25 am »
 :eusa_doh:

Well, he's raised $0 of $75,000. That's probably a good thing.

Looking at the flow of the honey, I'm wondering if the bees aren't going to rob it back as quickly as it flows out?

Aluminum honeycomb? That might make the hive a bit too heavy for some of us older folks.

Sorr, I must be in one of my "naysaying" moods.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Green bee

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 12:13:42 pm »
I think these types of hives are being advertised as a easy source of honey targeting beginning beeks that have done very little research that just want honey. Me being a new beekeeper have done enough research to know this is not a option I would pursue. Looks to me like it would Hinder inspections of the hive due to design. These hives can't be designed with the bees health and well being considered. In the long run they may just cause more problems in the future for the bees themselves. I like honey as much as the next guy but that's not the reason I want to keep bees. That being said I think I'll stick to the traditional style of bee keeping and get all stung up like most beeks do ;D
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 01:15:36 pm »
I think these types of hives are being advertised as a easy source of honey targeting beginning beeks that have done very little research that just want honey. Me being a new beekeeper have done enough research to know this is not a option I would pursue. Looks to me like it would Hinder inspections of the hive due to design. These hives can't be designed with the bees health and well being considered. In the long run they may just cause more problems in the future for the bees themselves. I like honey as much as the next guy but that's not the reason I want to keep bees. That being said I think I'll stick to the traditional style of bee keeping and get all stung up like most beeks do ;D

Couldn't have said it any better.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 01:16:52 pm »
 I would be with you Green bee if I was not going to sell every thing in bee keeping I have, also cannot get any feed back on the other flow hives that they have bee selling for over a year now, I think they are not doing as good as they say.

Ken

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 02:12:02 pm »
Kebee, I have a feeling your answer will come this spring when all those people who bought one are now selling them as all the bees they put in them have died over the winter.  I am hoping to pick one up for cheap this way :yes:
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 03:23:21 pm »

Yep....
Cheers, Bill

Offline MarkCase

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 10:20:10 pm »
Aluminum frames?????  I have some serious concerns. Honey has a combination of acids including formic, acetic and gluconic.  Any one of those dissolves aluminum ions and will be incorporated in the honey.  Dissolved aluminum in food products has been shown to accelerate medical issues in the brain including alzheimer's.

Commercial foods that are packaged in aluminum have a buffer that stops aluminum from dissolving and incorporating into the food items (soda and beer for example).    Aluminum containers also have a buffer to discourage aluminum from dissolving.

IF these frames are manufactured aluminum and have not included a buffer, there is no way I would ever touch that honey.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 08:41:19 pm »
My initial thought was also... will the honey taste like aluminum?
   The link did not work for me, but I get the gist of what is happening from reading.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*