Author Topic: Are all frames created equal?  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Countryboyky

Are all frames created equal?
« on: January 13, 2017, 09:53:23 pm »
Getting ready to start building my hives, except for frames which seem like more than I want to tackle at this moment. Are frames all the same length, no matter where you get them, or is there a tremendous amount of differences from supplier to supplier? I am building all 8 frame mediums with an outside dimension of 19 7/8" x 13 3/4". My rabbet for the frames to sit will be  3/8" wide x 5/8" deep.

I think from most I have read that short frames seem to be those mainly made out plastic, which I won't be using.

Thanks for all your help.
CB

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
Re: Are all frames created equal?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 08:17:11 am »
If you will be using assembled frames that's fine. Be careful not to mix frame parts from different companies.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 08:19:41 am »
For the most part frame sizes are close if not identical. The bigger question is quality. I purchased 800 frames a year or so ago and had to run every top bar back through my table saw to widen and deepen the top groove to accommodate the plastic foundation. This wasn't an error in selection, it was poor quality. I was refunded 40 cents on the dollar which eased the pain some.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Countryboyky

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 08:58:06 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 07:34:21 pm »
Frames for the most part are the same.
I use to use Kelley's frames but have switched over to Brushy Mountain.
I do still have some frames floating around that are probably Dadant (could not say for sure but do not match Kelleys and before Brushy) they seem a little thin and flimsy.
Kelley makes a good frame don't get me wrong and they are way cheaper than Brushy, but Brushy frames are heavy built. You do get a price break at 500 plus frames unassembled.

At least in my opinion.

I run wax foundation and was told by Brushy that what they sell is made by Dadant, Kelley makes their own (have been there and seen it, crude machines that have paid for themselves many times over). I do like Kelley's wax foundation better.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 08:17:06 pm »
I bought my last order from Kelley and was pleased.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 08:31:08 pm »
You do get a price break at 500 plus frames unassembled.

That number pretty much blows my mind.  I can't imagine how long it would take me to use 500 frames on two hives ...
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Countryboyky

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 08:46:18 pm »
Kelley is about 2.5hrs from me. I may have to make a trip up there soon to look around, Dadant is even closer.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 09:23:09 pm »
I envy you folks having all the options you do. We are very limited up here as far as wooden ware and foundation.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 09:42:07 am »
I envy you folks having all the options you do. We are very limited up here as far as wooden ware and foundation.

Ever think about expanding Brandt's Bee's, Perry?  Sounds like a demand that needs to be filled.  That's how most successful businesses start.   C:-)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 10:34:20 am »
I have tried to help out the only bee supply store in NS, https://countryfields.ca/
Tim Purdy bought it and moved it from New Brunswick to Nova Scotia. I mentioned to him about the mill where I get my lumber and he approached them and got a decent deal for good pine. He has someone (Mennonite) a couple of hours away that mills up everything but frames, but the production is limited, so big price savings are not really there. Being as he is the only game in town he is a needed part of the beekeeping community and I want him to succeed. The big players (keeps) in the province can go around him and order straight from the major suppliers and buy direct for less, but that usually involves buying stuff by the pallet load and bringing it in.
I have long maintained it is bizarre that a province full of pine has to bring in 90% of it's beekeeping wooden ware from Ontario, Manitoba, or from the states (which with our dollar really doesn't make sense).
I saw a machine for sale in Manitoba that assembled all the parts of a frame and even inserted the foundation for sale for 50K, but that still doesn't make the parts, so I am really not sure what kind of $$$ would be involved setting something like that up.
Forum Supporter

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 02:38:26 pm »
Perry,

What makes it even more bizarre is most of the lumber in the States comes from Canada> :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 04:22:45 pm »
Perry you could rig up a production line for frame parts, you should see what kelly's is.
Looks to be mostly re-purposed woodworking machines for just one job, mostly hand fed.

Country boy you should travel down to Kelley's, they will give you a pretty good tour of the facility. Went there last year and they were building a brand new building to put it all under one roof.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 06:12:11 pm »

Country boy you should travel down to Kelley's, they will give you a pretty good tour of the facility. Went there last year and they were building a brand new building to put it all under one roof.
They have opened it according to a email Kelley's sent out.

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 09:29:30 pm »
I am not certain about who makes what for whom these days but in the past there was some significant differences in frames.  Most of this difference was in the thickness of the various parts.  Certainly the most critical item to consider is the dimension of the the 'ears' on the top bars which hold up the weight of the frame < this is the most likely part of the entire frame to fail.