Author Topic: Bees sting?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Bees sting?
« on: January 12, 2017, 09:31:36 am »
EF said "But do remember, that all bees (except drones) come with stingers and no real beekeeper can permanently avoid getting stung, want to or not, protective clothing or not."

I was warned about this when I was readying my self for a re-entry to beekeeping. I never got stung my first time around in the 1980's. But I was mostly a beehaver, rather than a keeper.

I've been stung several times this year. I was worried at first, because I am allergy prone, and had never been stung by a bee before.

Well, that turned out OK, and I'm less concerned about getting stung.

But, life isn't fair.

Wife has never been stung. She's out in the hives with me every time I go out. She's there when I screw up and make the bees mad, but doesn't get stung.

She's had bees inside her veil, while I was getting hit, but didn't get stung.

She's had bees get caught in her hair, but hasn't been stung.

My dogs have been stung.  I've been stung.

Wife just sails through the storm of angry bees like she has a magical force field protecting her from angry bees.

Amazing!

And a bit unfair.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Bees sting?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 11:20:47 am »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And how long do you think you'd stay married or have bees if it all happened the other way around? :)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 11:54:07 am »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And how long do you think you'd stay married or have bees if it all happened the other way around? :)

I probably don't want to find out!

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 12:40:42 pm »
I think it was Mike Palmer that had mentioned in a video that he had inadvertently carried a bee into the house on his clothes. Unfortunately, his daughter got stung and within moments she went into anaphylactic reaction and they had to rush her to the ER.  He commented in the video that family members are exposed to the residue a beekeeper carries home with them.  This sets up the family members to develop allergic reactions if they never get stung which would allow their bodies to develop the antibodies.  This stuck in my mind and always make sure hubby gets stung at least once during the season.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 01:51:39 pm »
So, do you time those stings to coincide with when he isn't listening to you?

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 04:29:01 pm »
I wish nothing bad for your wife, but add two comments. 
1. How long have you two been at it with bees?  :bee: :bee:
2. According to your statement, she is not a beekeeper.  So, as long as she stays that way, she isn't included in my "rule" about getting stung.

I could alter my words and say, You aren't really a beekeeper until you've been stung, but that might be misunderstood to imply that, if you've been stung, you can claim to be a beekeeper---and that obviously isn't so.

I will be very happy if I am proven wrong and learn, in a few years, that your wife is actively beekeeping with you and still has not been stung.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 05:23:59 pm »
EF,
Wife decided she wanted bees last winter to pollinate her vegetable garden.  We ordered in January and received our two nucs the last week of April.  Wife insists that she is a part of this.  She has read all of the books, pours over American Beekeeper each month, and tells everyone she meets about her bees. 

Wife suits up and goes out every time the hives are open.  She would get upset if I tried to sneak out into the backyard and take a peek in the hives without her.  I'm getting over my "man thing" and letting her pull the frames for inspection.  She can't lift because of scoliosis and age, so I am needed for that.  Otherwise, she would want to do everything by herself, with me just looking on. 

After nine months of having hives in the backyard I'm not sure either one of us can actually call ourselves beekeepers, yet.  If the hives survive until March, then we'll gladly accept the label.  Until then, she is the one who remembers to remain calm when the bees get stirred up.  I'm the one that gets stressed.

Despite my comment that it isn't fair, I'm actually quite proud of her.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 10:26:01 pm »
Funny you bring this up Wandering.  The first two years I'd be suited up going through hives while my dear wife was taking pictures, no shoes, shorts, skimpy top.  I get pinged and she wouldn't!   Then, in the fall, she was up around Wisconsin at a horse show.  The guy in the ring, Buck Branaman, even asked about all the honey bees flying around.  She was watching intently, picked up her soda without looking, took a drink and got nailed on the lip!  She now has at least enough respect to wear shoes, sometimes! The bee sting to the lip made her lips swell, it was kind of sexy but I didn't tell her that!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 10:46:51 pm »
Ted, that's so funny!

But really you guys..! I think it's in the ovary department. Maybe a stronger scent of estrogen  ;) 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 06:51:33 am »
My niece is married to a man that is so kind and gentle.  She is sweet too.  He can accompany her to the hives with nothing but swim trunks on (sounds like iddee), help inspect the hives and never get stung.  His movements are smooth and well planned.  I call him the Bee Whisperer.  We know bees have a keen sense of smell.  I think some folks must smell non-threatening.