Author Topic: BT sources  (Read 4362 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
BT sources
« on: January 01, 2017, 10:13:09 am »
Xen Tari is the most commonly available BT to be found. I've been buying it from Hidhut. a 1# bag is $39.00 plus shipping. Got a wild hair & decided to do a web search & found some other sellers. on ebay the exact same bag sells for $31.00-$83.00. don't these people look at the other ads? but I found a different brand on amazon that's going for around $22.00 shipped. one seller wants $16.00 but also wants $5.00 shipping. the formula on the label reads exactly the same as the xen tari brand. just thought i'd pass this on since its 1/2 the cost of buying from hidhut.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=xentari&&view=detail&mid=4D2045C5AB91E262B73F4D2045C5AB91E262B73F&rvsmid=E06F940279251FB5515CE06F940279251FB5515C&fsscr=0&FORM=VDFSRV

Offline Zulu

Re: BT sources
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 08:15:39 pm »
Be careful that it is the same strain of BT, as there are numerous strains that are used on different produce.

That $16 DiPel pro version is Kurstani , not for wax moth. But also manufacturered by Valent

And $22 shipped must be really close to cost from the supplier

I still offer the service if anyone interested.

Zulu's Bees

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 06:51:06 am »
I approached our new Provincial Bee Inspector a year ago about BT. Right now we have no weapon (allowed) to combat wax moth.
I explained it as best I could and it was taken higher up to see if approval could be had but I have heard nothing to date. Many other more pressing issues were  being dealt with at the time. Perhaps time to shake the tree again.
I am wondering Zulu, what it might cost to have some sent here to NS?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 07:58:05 am »
my understanding is that that usda approval expired & the companies did not feel the beekeeping market was lucrative enough tho warrant the expense required to be certified again. Michael bush says it's safe enough to spray on frames while bees are on them. I've never done that. it's too bad this does not work on shb larva.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 08:47:05 am »
I just found another seller on amazon who has 5# bags of xentari for $105.00 which comes to $21.00 per # which is the best deal yet. for most 5# would last a looooonnnnnnggggg time. I've averaged 10 hives over the last 5 years & have gone thru 1/2# so far.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 11:49:39 am »
I remember a long time ago in another "universe" ;D, if a donation had been made to the forum a sample of BT was mailed to the person donating by the member who made the offer. I sent in a donation with the note saying not to bother with the sample as I was pretty sure it wouldn't clear the border. If anyone has seen this stuff it looks similar to a certain weed (and when it is sent in a small plastic bag even more so). Surprisingly enough I still received it. :D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 01:31:03 pm »
It actually looks more like Mexican brown heroin. don't ask............just kidding.  it's a light brown powder. I just did an e mail exchange with 2 botanical suppliers. there is a difference in the protein compositions in the dipel & xentari & that the dipel while not being harmful to the bees would not have as much of an effect on wax moths as xentari. so the 5# bag of xentari on flea bay is the best deal that I've found.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 08:37:29 pm »
Look up and call your local Ag chemical supplier and get a price from them. You can pick it up.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 09:59:33 am »
I checked with MFA supply & 2 feed stores. MFA doesn't have it & has no interest in getting it & the feed store prices are steep. 5# of xentari at fleabay is $108.00 shipped. that comes to 21.60 per #.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 08:03:32 pm »
That's probably a good market value. You may never ever use it up. If you use 1 teaspoon per quart spray bottle and it sprays 40 frames how many thousand frames can you spray with one pound X 5 pounds.

Offline Zulu

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 08:26:19 pm »
I approached our new Provincial Bee Inspector a year ago about BT. Right now we have no weapon (allowed) to combat wax moth.
I explained it as best I could and it was taken higher up to see if approval could be had but I have heard nothing to date. Many other more pressing issues were  being dealt with at the time. Perhaps time to shake the tree again.
I am wondering Zulu, what it might cost to have some sent here to NS?

I'll find out next week.
Zulu's Bees

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 09:35:39 pm »
perry
why couldn't you just order some from amazon or ebay. it's in a sealed pkg so you wouldn't have any custom issues.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 08:14:22 am »
The big problem is it is not approved for use up here (yet).
Forum Supporter

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 08:16:56 am »
It is made and sold for use on cabbage loopers. Forget bees for a minute and think garden. Is it approved up there for that?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 10:30:03 am »
iddee beat me to it.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 01:46:31 pm »
The big problem is it is not approved for use up here (yet).

So, this topic appears on this public forum, Perry buys an illegal substance and has it shipped to Canada ... ???

Naw, perfectly safe.

I'm sure Perry couldn't get in trouble now that he's discussed it in a public forum.

Go for it, Perry.

... I'm sure some of your fellow Nova Scotians will see you on visiting day.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 02:27:46 pm »
He only needs to state it would be in his best interest to use the BT on his cabbage. Ta Da
There is no harm in finding out all your options. ;D

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 05:49:08 pm »
Wandering Man is quite correct. Any "off label use" could put someone in an unpleasant place, particularly when honey is being sold for human consumption.
I am fairly hopeful that this could get approval, especially where it is not costing anybody (think government) money.
Forum Supporter

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 06:11:38 pm »
Certan B-401 is approved. At the high price they are selling it for, it certainly would cost them a lot of money. They are most likely filling some politicians pockets.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline sc-bee

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 09:48:58 pm »
I just found another seller on amazon who has 5# bags of xentari for $105.00 which comes to $21.00 per # which is the best deal yet. for most 5# would last a looooonnnnnnggggg time. I've averaged 10 hives over the last 5 years & have gone thru 1/2# so far.

It also has a two year shelf life...