Author Topic: Great Dane Puppy ~  (Read 17907 times)

Offline Chip Euliss

Re: Great Dane Puppy ~
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2017, 03:29:49 pm »
You could get creative and have the tattoo artist make it look like a bee :D. Just kidding :)
Chip

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2017, 03:55:08 pm »
 :D :D :D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2017, 10:27:59 pm »
Phoebe has been updated on her shots. Weighs 91 pounds. Been micro chipped. Set up for her spay. As far as tattooing the nose, doc said that she is young and the pigment will spread, so we'll wait a while and see how it goes. Good report  ;D 8)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2017, 11:28:30 pm »
Jen... I did not read every post...
  I owned magic marker kennels and trained Springers and Labs for many years..  Training a deaf dog is not much different than training any dog. You have to be consistent.
  You have to understand how a dog thinks.
   Teaching a dog not to get into the garbage for instance...   To a dog, understanding it is NOT supposed to poke its nose into your garbage, can is easily taught.. but, if the garbage can falls over and "things" fall out of it.. the situation has changed, and it is no longer "off limits" and it is open season....

Yelling with a deaf dog will obviously do no good. Making them understand through physical action is what it will take. For you, that means not losing your temper and being consistent with your reprimands. Consistency and patience will take a little more time, but is very doable. That dog will be paying attention to your face, your emotion and your actions, rather than your words. If you use those things in place of sound you will be surprised how fast they learn and understand.
   I wish you the best!
   Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2017, 11:58:31 pm »
Awe Thanks Scott, so nice to hear from you around here.

Your advice is appreciated. Phoebe and me are making progress every day. She sits, lays down, sits still until I set her bowl of food down, leash training is coming along nicely now that I have the right training collar for her. The only real stubborn problem is keeping her out of the kitchen, but we're working on the boundary line, and the sit and stay. That's going to take a while. Other than that we are right on course   :) 8)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2017, 10:33:30 am »
The deaf dogs I trained all used hand signals.
   Hold your open hand up fingers pointed toward the sky and close it into a fist for "sit"
   Closed fist into a point for stay
   Open hand palm down and move it downward for DOWN or lay down.
   Open hand swiping across the front for no. Usually they learn NO and happy just from your expression quickly, IE; you are smiling or frowning.

the actions can be anything you want them to be, those are the ones I used. The only thing to do is remain consistent in how you use them.

If you call a dog by name expecting it to come to you and it does not...  you have to go get them immediately and reprimand them with NO COME.. Rain, snow, mud or nightgown even if the neighbor is watching. If you cannot go get them then don't call them, or in your place signal. If you let them do their own thing without reprimand and just walk away, they learn either nothing, or that they do not have to listen. With a deaf dog it is hard because they cannot hear you calling them and you have to wait for them to look.
   One Deaf Lab I had would see me come out, and then REFUSE to look at me until HE was ready to come back. He was the smartest dog I have ever trained and went on to be an outstanding duck dog despite his disability.
   Patience, patience, patience with consistent methods will soon have a pet and friend your human friends will be jealous of.

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Great Dane Puppy, Chip, Rrat, Kingd, Scott
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2017, 01:17:34 pm »
Phoebe and I are doing well with training, she's been in two other houses so I have to work a little harder at it, but it's coming along just fine.

My biggest problem with her, is the kitchen, I have a small kitchen, one way in turn around one way out. I cannot keep her out of the kitchen, she is oblivious. Been on YouTube, not much there. I've tried the invisible barrier, oblivious. I've tried turning the bar stools upside down and blocking the entrance, oblivious. I've been using the knee thing like Chip suggested for dominance, oblivious. I've been using treats for every time she sits or lays down outside the kitchen entrance, oblivious.

She's tall enough to get her whole head onto the counter tops. I don't know what to do at this point. I'm to the point of a shock collar but don't know if that will keep her out. Would like to have a lazer barrier of some sort where she would get a little zap if she crosses the line, is there such a contraption?

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2017, 10:57:55 pm »
Jen,
 There are invisible fences. I can see how one could be hidden under the carpet.
  She sounds like a sweet dog that wants to please you, she'll come around. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Great Dane Puppy ~ Chip, Scott, Perry, Kingd
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2017, 12:14:07 am »
Chip, Scott, Perry, Kind

My biggest problem with her, is the kitchen, I have a small kitchen, one way in turn around one way out. I cannot keep her out of the kitchen, she is oblivious. Been on YouTube, not much there. I've tried the invisible barrier, oblivious. I've tried turning the bar stools upside down and blocking the entrance, oblivious. I've been using the knee thing like Chip suggested for dominance, oblivious. I've been using treats for every time she sits or lays down outside the kitchen entrance, oblivious.

She's tall enough to get her whole head onto the counter tops. I don't know what to do at this point. I'm to the point of a shock collar but don't know if that will keep her out. Would like to have a lazer barrier of some sort where she would get a little zap if she crosses the line, is there such a contraption?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2017, 03:49:28 pm »
Need some help! My biggest problem with her, is the kitchen, I have a small kitchen, one way in turn around one way out. I cannot keep her out of the kitchen, she's oblivious to any technique we try. Been on YouTube, not much there. I've tried the invisible barrier, oblivious. I've tried turning the bar stools upside down and blocking the entrance, oblivious. I've been using the knee thing like Chip suggested for dominance, oblivious. I've been using treats for every time she sits or lays down outside the kitchen entrance, oblivious.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2017, 05:39:24 pm »
part of her antics and as I said they use their smarts to beat you at your game.  We use child gates to keep theo out of kitchen when we need to.  we have yet to have a dane that would cross a child gate. another thing we have found is out of all the danes we have had Pebbles is the only we had that would go up or down a full flight of stairs
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2017, 10:01:27 pm »
Chip, Perry, Scott, Kingd

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2017, 10:06:01 pm »
Wow how safe will that cake be on the counter? Good luck

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2017, 10:25:12 pm »
child proof gate

Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2017, 01:06:57 am »
Actually CBT ~ My kitchen looks Great! There is nothing on the counters anymore except the coffee pot and dish rack  :D  But if I'm cooking there is edible stuff all over the place and Nothing that will keep her back. Pretty sure she was allowed in the kitchen in her last household. This could get complicated  :-\\

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2017, 09:43:42 pm »
umm... remember the phrase spare the rod and spoil the child?

With most pups it only takes a few times..  It is how mama would have made them understand too, with a nip that hurt.. The thing is to remember your strength and size.. A dane is a big pup but it is still easy to hurt them if you get angry.  They only need to understand your unhappy, they do not need to be yiping in pain or fear.

I have never trained a pup that took more than a week to potty trail, and I have never trained a pup that took more than a week to learn that the garbage was off limits. Once they understand the rules they are usually a LOT happier than if they are guessing or worried.  Inconsistant training is what usually leads to timidness just as much as being heavyhanded.. when they do not understand the reprimand they get unhappy quick. I have also seen a pup "click" when it realized what I was training it, and get so excited from the realization that the training for the day had to be suspended.
   I love dogs and working with dogs..  I often wish we had never given up on our kennels.. we had a great line of Springers going.

*Sponsor*

Offline Green bee

« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2017, 12:57:09 am »
 ;D >: ;D
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2017, 08:21:20 pm »
So!!! Rat tells me you got yourself a dane pup aye!

Forum Supporter

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2017, 09:53:26 pm »
Very photogenic! He ought to consider a career as a canine model. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2017, 12:30:56 am »
Hahahaha! He looks like he's from the Dog Mob! Theo Pachino!  :laugh: