Author Topic: Great Dane Puppy ~  (Read 17908 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Great Dane Puppy ~
« on: December 22, 2016, 06:08:52 pm »
I have the chance to get a Great Dane puppy, female, 9 months, so she's already a good size dog. That is exactly what I want. However, she is deaf. Does anyone know how to train a deaf dog? and/or where can I go to get info on training a deaf puppy?

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Great Dane Puppy ~
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 07:20:18 pm »
Riverrat would be the expert on Danes, but as far as deaf dogs, there are plenty of them out there so I don't imagine getting info will be too hard.
Half the time I think Penny is deaf cause she doesn't hear a thing I say. ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 07:45:07 pm »
That's a tough one.  I've never had one that couldn't hear when young, only when they get old.  I've had good luck with electronic collars.  I don't think you'll need electric shock but vibrations would be one way to train the dog. Get one that has as many vibration modes as possible.  Just train as normal but use unique modes and combinations as training cues.  1 buzz to come, 2 rapid buzzes to sit, etc.  It will work but keep it charged so you always have a collar on her and can stop her from going somewhere she shouldn't go (like a highway).  It will be a challenge but it can be done.  My biggest fear would be when she gets beyond the range of the transmitter and you have no way to communicate.  Keep her on a lead until she is well trained AND hang on, they're big dogs!  Good luck.  This may be a tough undertaking. 
Chip

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 08:51:40 pm »
Jen, talk to rat a lot before getting a Dane. There are a few things about them you wouldn't expect from other dogs.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 08:59:11 pm »
Jen, talk to rat a lot before getting a Dane. There are a few things about them you wouldn't expect from other dogs.

Like you need extra large plastic bags when going for a walk. ;D

Don't feel alone about keeping dogs on a lead at all times. Most greyhound owners have to do that with their dogs because once a greyhound sees something and their prey drive kicks in, the ears are turned off an you can scream till you're blue in the face and they won't hear you.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 09:07:42 pm »
Thanks you guys. My mom raised 2 danes, so I do know somewhat about them. And, I'm waiting for replies from two dog trainers in our area here, to help me know how to proceed with a special needs pet.

Riverrat is the first one I contacted on the forum today. He was very positive about it. I'll be talking to him more for sure.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 09:11:24 pm »
We were baby sitting a Dane for a week many years ago. We also had a 6 week old Cocker Spaniel the size of a beer can. The pup kept raising up on her hind legs and nipping at the Dane's lip. Finally, the Dane had had enough, so she opened her mouth and put it down on the pup until her nose and lower lip touched the carpet. She didn't close her mouth, but the pup was covered from neck to hip, and couldn't move.

When the Dane let her up, she went to the other room at the speed of light and never bothered the Dane again.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 09:16:24 pm »
Perry, I remember you telling us about the characters of grey hounds, sure makes sense. The same with hounds too, so hard to train them to the leash because once their noses get to the ground, they don't hear anymore.

Iddee, that is so funny! Amazing that dane didn't just swallow that little beer snack LOL

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 09:29:42 pm »
Perry, I remember you telling us about the characters of grey hounds, sure makes sense. The same with hounds too, so hard to train them to the leash because once their noses get to the ground, they don't hear anymore.

Iddee, that is so funny! Amazing that dane didn't just swallow that little beer snack LOL

the great dane breed was actually bred in germany from crossing greyhounds with irish wolf hounds to hunt wild boar.  There temperament was bred out of them in later years.  You can see the greyhound in them when they run.  and Just like a greyhound when they descide to tke after something its over the listening unit goes blank.  This is why you rarely see a dane off a lead.  We have had 4 danes and all 4 was never able to be outside the fence without a lead after they was about 4 months old.  Like Iddee mentioned they have a way with smaller dogs letting them know they have had enough we got theo a play mate that is a cross between a lab and Australian Sheppard hes about 4 months old and is theos best 4 legged friend.  The wife just panics when theo puts the pups whole head in his mouth but he never bites down and the pup thinks its fun play.  Gentle giants they are
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 09:33:32 pm »
We have Dane/Lab cross rescue that is one of the sweetest loving dogs ever. Eats as much as three of my hound dogs. Never met a stranger. He always entertains us with his goofy bumbling ways.

Honestly I can't offer any advice on training a hearing impaired dog as voice commands are pretty much key to my training but I always incorporate hand signals with the command for times when I can't or don't want to speak.

It will be a challenge but I am sure you are up to it! :)

Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 09:34:46 pm »
Iddee, that Dane sounds like a great dog.

I knew someone who said his Dane stopped him from suicide. The dog knew he was going to do himself harm. The Dane planted himself on the man's chest and refused to move . A few hours later, he finally realized he had made the wrong decision, and the dog released him.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 11:20:36 pm »
Wman, that is the most tender story ever.

It could be a challenge with my existing dog, Katy, she is lab chesapeke mix, 14 years old. She's sweet and docile, but she's been the only dog for years.

We will have to do a meet and greet first to see if the 2 females will get along.

She's just gorgeous!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 01:55:58 pm »
The only real draw back that I can see with bringing this dane home, is that she and my dog are both females, my Katy is 14 years old as well.

How many of you have had luck with bringing a female into your house with an already existing female?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 02:25:55 pm »
Copper

Penny

Together

It helps when one is younger, and in your case one is a pup so there shouldn't be an issue with pecking order. The incumbent will set the law down.

Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 03:00:16 pm »
Oh I love that!!

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 04:26:37 pm »
I have nothing to offer about training a dog, hearing or not.  I have noticed that my neighbors train their dogs in German.  I said something once and she said that was so the dogs would ignore all commands but theirs.  So, if you teach the dog sign commands chances are it will ignore everyone but your family.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 04:38:33 pm »
The only real draw back that I can see with bringing this dane home, is that she and my dog are both females, my Katy is 14 years old as well.

How many of you have had luck with bringing a female into your house with an already existing female?

Think you will find they get along great and if the older dog is trained it will help in training the younger dane.

Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 06:24:29 pm »
That's the way I'm swinging too Rrat, I sure hope so ~

Baker, I like the way you think :) And I already have a trainer lined up, and she knows how to train for deaf dogs. This is going to be a nice winter project for me ;)

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 08:17:44 pm »
Be prepared danes are smart and look for ways to beat you in the game. ;D

Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 11:00:08 pm »
Rrat, I love that danes are smart and quirky  :)  ...kinda like me...