Author Topic: Presto Pot Wax Melter's  (Read 8490 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Presto Pot Wax Melter's
« on: December 19, 2016, 11:13:35 am »
i have grown really tired of double boilers on the stove for melting wax for candles. sometimes i have three of them going on my stove.

who has these? (i think perry does and i think jack does) anyone else use these?
what is your opinion on them, how well do they work, and any quirks with them?  or are they just a fire hazard?  ;D

i read somewhere the nozzle gets clogged because it takes awhile to heat up (the nozzle, pour spout).

if i decide to purchase one, (i am not going to make my own), where did you purchase from?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Presto Pot Wax Melter's
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 12:01:08 pm »
I believe I have seen them on ebay...
Lee_Burough

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 12:54:06 pm »
Curious if this is a good idea as well?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 03:23:43 pm »
I love ours. You sometimes have to use a skewer to open up the end of the valve but that is such a minor thing. Once the wax starts flowing it opens up nicely. I use the Presto Pot especially when wanting to melt larger amounts of wax as it does so much quicker than a double boiler. I can load it up with 3 or 4 of the blocks like that in this picture, I only had one in there cause I only needed a small amount.

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 05:28:01 pm »
lee, thanks. i am looking at a seller on ebay who sells different sizes. his advertising is he has been making them for 25 years. if i purchase one, based on his score and his advertising i would probably purchase from him.  i don't want any problems with a leaky valve, or one that falls off.

jen~ did you read the reviews on amazon? (2) nozzle fell off for one person........
also, jen your video is for cleaning wax, mine is already clean, i just need something more efficient to melt wax down for candles.

perry, what size is yours and where did you purchase?  thanks for the tip on the skewer.  also a few more questions:

1. how long does it take to melt down say 1-3 lbs of wax?

2. can you maintain a set temp?  i pour lip balm at 140 d F (60 celsius) i pour candles between 155 d  F and 160 d F ( 68ish celcius - 71ish celsius).
    i want to be able to have the melter hold wax at a specific temp and no higher.

3. if you have not used all the melted wax, do you just let it set in the presto pot? i ask because i would probably melt down whatever i thought i needed for the day, (or add more) and add more the next day if needed.  if long term, or done making candles, i would probably pour into a silicone container.

any tips perry would be welcome.
Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 05:42:51 pm »
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PRESTO-POT-WAX-MELTER-LARGE-6-QUART-PRO-SERIES-SPOUT-/230617541409

#1 - 1 to 3 lbs. of wax would probably only be 20 minutes or so.
#2 - It has temps but they mention having it set at the "m" on the word "warm" which comes before any of the numbers. It cycles on and off so once you figure out the temp you want I would imagine it would hold it relatively close.
#3 - I just let any wax I haven't used remain in the pot and let it sit there till I next use it.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 09:14:56 pm »
thanks perry.

also, this is the same company i have been looking at on ebay to purchase from.
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 10:58:35 pm »
Riverbee and Perry, the video that I posted, would the crock pot method of cleaning the wax be safe, as in it wouldn't ignite?

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 11:04:05 pm »
Jen, it would not be safe in my wife's house.  ;-)
Lee_Burough

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 02:17:43 am »
jen, i think lee has a good point and that video you posted on the crock pot method....... personally i think there are better methods to clean your beeswax.

i clean all my beeswax (cappings) before i melt down, and i use a solar melter to run my wax through and filter.  i realize that not everyone can do this or does this.

i think for those looking to clean beeswax cappings is, if you can, first wash the cappings clean as best as you can. (get the honey out and some debris) use a 5 gallon pail and throw your cappings in a paint strainer bag. set this in the 5 gallon pail and run the garden hose through it til the water runs clear. let dry and use paper towels to soak up any moisture as it drys. store the dry cappings in zippies, throw in the freezer til ready to melt down.

if you don't wash out the wax, find yourself a nice size inexpensive stockpot from wherever.  throw your wax in the stockpot, add water. you don't need much (don't fill the stockpot to the top)  depending on if you are cleaning cappings or chunks/bricks and how much; just barely cover the bricks or fill the stock pot about 1/2 way full.  bring to a GENTLE boil on a lower heat setting on your stove, then shut the heat off and take off the stove.  let this cool completely. you will have a round brick of beeswax when everything cools down. dump it out. on the bottom will be debris. scrape it off. gentle heating/boiling with water gets most if not all of the honey out. repeat if necessary if you think the beeswax is not clean or still contains honey.

to get the wax cleaner, you can chop the wax down in chunks (chisel, hammer); melt it down double boiler style and use a milk carton or silicone bread pan covered in old t-shirt material, or layers of cheesecloth, to pour and filter the wax into. this will get out any leftover debris.

heat will discolor wax (make it darker) so you don't want to boil too long in the stock pot at a high temp.  just enough to 'jumble' the wax around to get the honey and debris out.  and it may take more than one round to do it.

hope this helps jen. 
Forum Sponsor

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 11:30:57 am »
something else added to my wish list
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 12:21:11 pm »
Riv, thanks for taking the time to explain that. My daughter makes her own lotions and balms, she loves the idea of making her lotions with wax from my hives. This will help  :) 8)

Gypsi

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 02:00:26 pm »
Neat stuff!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 10:59:52 pm »
thanks gypsi. wax melting is always an adventure........and so is cleanup...... :)

jen, you are welcome, any time you have a question you know you can post here and get an answer.  i recently did the water bath thing on a batch of wax and filtered into a milk carton and silicone bread pan.  will start a thread on this because i am not happy with the color of the wax for candles and was not happy with getting jerked around by the seller.

i digress, anyway, perry what is the difference.........this seller on ebay like the link you posted (canadian)advertises the very same presto pot as a 'large 6 quart pro series' (usa).....can handle 6 - 8 quarts of wax.   sells another similiar, 5 quart version yet says it also handles 6 to 8 quarts of wax............?
these both have the right angled plumbing apparatus for the pouring spout instead of a straight one.  does yours have the r angle? how do ya get a skewer up through that.........lol........ ;D 

so what makes it a 'pro series' if you know?

here are the usa links:
am i missing something?  these look the same except for a 'decal' on the pro series handle, and one is 6 quarts and the other is 5 quarts. the 6 quart is 89.95, the 5 quart is $73.83...........?
take a lookie see.....

PRESTO POT WAX MELTER/MELTING LARGE 6 QUART PRO SERIES/SPOUT

PRESTO POT WAX MELTER/WAX MELTING WITH SPOUT * NEW * 1 YEAR WARRANTY

shoot perhaps i need to send this company a message and ask.
5 quart, 6 quart, ? in the big picture what's the difference.  i'd buy the 6 quart.  just have to find a place to store yet another piece of equipment.......lol............ ;D

i need an addition on my house........ :)

Forum Sponsor

Gypsi

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 01:10:51 am »
I don't know much about wax melters but I know a bit about setting stock up for sale on the internet and copy/paste is a basic tool.  They probably copied the 6 quart text on volume onto the 5 quart wax melter and intended to correct later.  Contact them to be sure, will let them know to fix it while they are at it.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 07:19:17 am »
I got the 6 quart one, and I removed the right angle fitting on the end, it was nothing but a nuisance.
Forum Supporter

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 08:40:43 am »
Have you considered looking at the Presto plant here in EC Riverbee?
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 12:20:56 am »
Here is the one I built River.  I really like it.  The heat from the kettle transfers to the brass fittings.  So, I don't have a problem with clogging.  Now, I use mine for melting wax capping after I have washed them a bit.  The crud pretty much floats to the top.  I pour through paint strainer over a bucket with water and "presto," I am done!  I then scoop out the crud.  As for temperature, I keep it at 250 all the time.

The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 02:25:34 am »
zweef, didn't know there was a plant in EC?!.......... :-[

thanks dave for the pix and your post, i appreciate it.

i am looking at buying something else maybe; a direct heat wax melter made by a manufacturer in minnesota.........

RiteHete Direct Heat Wax Melters

a little more than a presto pot.......... :D :D :D

the manufacturer just sent me  some specs today and answered some questions............SWEET! 

will post up the pdf file they sent me........
Forum Sponsor