Author Topic: it's all relative  (Read 3863 times)

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
it's all relative
« on: December 11, 2016, 03:16:52 pm »

Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
Re: it's all relative
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 03:30:33 pm »
It's not that bad, but the northerners think it's funny we don't like to drive in it because we see no reason to go highway speeds with ice on top of snow then they wipe out and blame the slow drivers. I've had to work in it for about 40 years. I was out in it when no one else except road scrapers and power companies.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 04:57:29 pm »
Fairly close to correct. I have seen schools close here when it is only forecast, not actually here. I never saw schools closed in Illinois in the 10 years I lived there, with the ground never to be seen from Thanksgiving through March some years. 25 to 30 inches and no one would even be late for work.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 09:38:36 pm »
My last job was with a company that was based in Indiana. At first, they said company policy is no snow days. When some of the suits came down during winter we took them on a drive to the rural areas where most of our workers commuted from. Soon after they changed the policy to shut down if all schools were closed and if your local school closed it was excused. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Green bee

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 10:09:00 pm »
I think here in the south we don't have the resources to deal with any much over 6" of snow because we just don't get it much. The ice is totally different. It can make roads unpassable. I do ok in the snow and avoid ice as much as I can. Like iddee said last year a few times school was canceled just because of the forecast.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Knucs

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 12:33:41 am »
 :laugh:
Yup, 6 inches today, dog used to love it, RIP.

Nucs & queens, for 2017.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 10:15:37 am »
Talking about how we perceive this type of weather is really a study in human nature.  And it is entertaining.

One of the most entertaining aspects of weather in the news is the double or triple standard for the definition of 'severe weather' in Neil's chart.  Four inches of snow in a big city gets a lot of press.  Four inches in the rural areas isn't even mentioned...A blizzard in the mountain west rarely gets more than a mention. 

I was driving to work in Eagle River, Alaska one winter morning.  A few blocks away from my house I saw an 18 wheeler stopped at a stop sign...it very slowly slid sideways into the ditch.  A mile later, while attempting a descent on a steep hill, I gave it up and went home, barely made it safely.  All roads were just solid ice. 

Your chart says a lot Neil.   :yes: :yes:
Lee_Burough

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 10:33:02 am »
I'm pretty sure that in Victoria, more than an inch of snow would not result in a sense of doom.  Rather, it would be a holiday.  Yes, we would have school closings and snow days for businesses, but it would be to celebrate the rare event that any snow is for us.

I think the last snow that stuck to the ground in Victoria was Christmas day, 2004:

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 11:28:20 pm »
funny chart neil!  lol............yep!

i grew up in montana, so learned to drive on ice covered snowy roads, and in blizzards and some highways where there were only 'tunnels' to drive through.  i am quite certain lee did as well. here, they really don't close the schools down unless the wind chill factor is great, especially in rural areas and/or a snowfall that prohibits safe travel.  it's pretty rare.  back in the days i had two sets of tires, studded and without studs, and a set of chains. 

late this afternoon/early evening i was driving back on a busy city freeway during rush hour in a snow storm; ice and snow covered roadway, almost blizzard conditions. snow plows hadn't yet done a pass.  traffic at at a crawl. always some idiot that thinks because they have four wheel drive they can drive it at a speed greater than they should without causing a pile up and a major back up for miles.  i drive a jeep wrangler, but i am not foolish enough to think i can fly down the road given the conditions.  if ya see a semi or two off to the side of the roadway or in the ditch, ought to be a clue to slow it down.......these drivers (for the most part) are good drivers in all conditions. 

btw neil, i have been known to wear shorts when there is 1 inch of snow on the ground.......just depends on the temp......... :)
i also grill year round, so my grill is always cleaned off and ready to go no matter what temp and no matter how much snow!

also, mr river was quite annoyed with the wait/long line today at the liquor store.....it was quite busy.......guess because of the impending -40 windchill factors coming up......... :) :) :)

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 12:09:57 pm »
RB,
Some years ago I worked for firm that built automation machines for foundries and die casting. Several times I had to fly up to Minneapolis or Milwaukee to service equipment in the wintertime. I'd find myself on the interstate in what to me was whiteout conditions with people whizzing by me honking their horns, and I'm saying to myself, "Do these folks have a death wish?" :) 
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 12:24:26 pm »
"Several times I had to fly up to Minneapolis or Milwaukee"
"I'd find myself on the interstate"

If I met you in a plane on the interstate, I'd honk, too, whether it was snowing or not.   :P :P :P   ;D ;D
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 01:01:33 pm »
"Several times I had to fly up to Minneapolis or Milwaukee"
"I'd find myself on the interstate"

If I met you in a plane on the interstate, I'd honk, too, whether it was snowing or not.   :P :P :P   ;D ;D

:laugh:lmao
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 02:49:44 am »
lol!.........

too funny! 

hey neil.....in minneapolis, they sorta drive granny like.........a little more cautious; always exceptions.......the 4 wheel drive thing.

in milwaukee?............they whiz by, honk the horn AND give you a one finger salute........... :) :) :)

what gets me are the folks on cell phones........texting or talking..........bad enough in good weather let alone a blizzard..........i lay on the obnoxious air horn installed in my jeep to get their attention but wish they could hear me hollering "YOU'RE NOT DRIVING A TELEPHONE BOOTH".
Forum Sponsor

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 04:06:47 pm »
Riverbee they don't know what a phone booth is.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 06:59:40 pm »
 :D
Riverbee they don't know what a phone booth is.
Now that's funny I don't care who you are! :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 10:09:16 am »
lol! well, very true cbt!   :)

Forum Sponsor

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 12:58:39 am »
Truth.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau