Author Topic: Sprayers for painting hive bodies  (Read 4948 times)

Offline Chip Euliss

Sprayers for painting hive bodies
« on: December 10, 2016, 06:48:53 pm »
Been scrambling to finish up a project putting together a little over 400 deep hive bodies.  Plan is to replace some boxes that have some rot down low and increase our numbers a tad so we can sell a complete semi-load of hives in about a year.  I'm limping along because I managed to slip in the boat this summer and tore 2 tendons loose in my left shoulder.  Surgery is Jan 24 and the plan is to use screws with sutures up top to pull the tendons back to their normal attachment point so the healing can begin.  Looks like I'll be in a sling for 6 weeks and recovery will take a bit longer.  Long story short, I'm looking for a fast and easy (on my shoulder) to paint all the boxes before I get bees back in spring.  I know I don't have time to use a brush or roller since the weather window is short.  I'm planning to buy a sprayer but have zero experience with them.  I'd like to get a good one so it can be used on other projects around the house, etc.  I'm hopeful some of you have some advice on what I need to buy or what I need to look for when I'm shopping for a sprayer.  I will use latex paint and would like a unit that has a pick-up that would allow me to spray from a large container or bucket tat holds at least a gallon of paint.  Any ideas?  I'd appreciate any sage advice anyone has.  Thanks in advance.  ;)
Chip

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Sprayers for painting hive bodies
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 06:53:40 pm »
Sounds like you need a pressure pot.

Can sit a five gallon bucket in the pot and it applies air pressure to the inside of the pot, all you are left holding is the gun and hoses.

Check ebay for a used one or some construction equipment auctions.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 07:58:04 pm »
I've used airless sprayers before that hold a 5 gal bucket and can cover a ridiculous amount of square feet very fast. :) 
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 07:59:05 pm »
Find kids! $2 a box for 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of a good latex paint. :)

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 02:16:11 pm »
I'll look into the pressure pot and airless units.  I was aware of airless sprayers but hadn't heard of a pressure pot before--it's good to learn something new each day--thanks for that!  Any advantages of one system over the other?  Like Perry's idea too but not too many kids near here these days except my granddaughter but she lives 2.5 hours away.  I'm sure she'd love to do it but she's not tall enough to paint stacks much higher than 4 boxes :)  Plus she'll be in school when I need to get the painting done.  Maybe you could send a bus of kids to ND Perry :) 
Chip

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 02:27:33 pm »
Maybe you could send a bus of kids to ND Perry :)

That would put a new twist on "migrant workers" :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 02:42:23 pm »
That's my son in the pic, and I was having a hard time getting him to work so I told him I was hiring the neighbours daughter cause he was lazy. Suddenly he decided to work. ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 03:19:09 pm »
The newer paint pumps are easy to clean with the water hose adapter. Take the nozzle off and run water through it till it's clear. No air needed only power.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 04:02:29 pm »
That's my son in the pic, and I was having a hard time getting him to work so I told him I was hiring the neighbours daughter cause he was lazy. Suddenly he decided to work. ;D

How come they're working so far apart?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 04:37:37 pm »
You are quite the motivator Perry O:-)
Chip

Offline rcannon

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 07:15:00 pm »
Local paint supply stores like Sherwin Williams rent airless sprayers. They're great to have but expensive to buy.

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 06:42:51 pm »
Wound up buying a Graco airless sprayer on ebay that pumps from 1 or 5 gallon buckets.  It was used but had been reconditioned at the factory; not a bad price.  It arrived today and looks essentially new.  It has a place to hook a garden hose to clean  it up between uses.  We'll see how it works come spring.
Chip