Author Topic: 3 LBS OF MELTED WAX ON THE FLOOR...........  (Read 10254 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: 3 LBS OF MELTED WAX ON THE FLOOR...........
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2016, 12:02:14 pm »
"They were talking about irons."

yes we were! for cleaning up beeswax!........ not to iron lee's shirts....... :) :) :)
lee offered a great suggestion for cleaning beeswax up with an iron.

cbt, the thread with wick suggestions is here:
Making Candles!

click on the link 'bleached square wick' or download the pdf file i attached.  this is atkins and pearce's guide for square braid wicking (the only company i think in the usa that makes it). look at the suggestions for container candles.  also, it is not the height of the jar you are using, it is the diameter of the jar to measure and choose a wick size. the height really doesn't matter.  what you want to achieve is that the right size wick will burn an even pool across the diameter of your jar.  this chart may suggest 3-5 wick sizes.  basically it depends on how clean your wax is. wax that contains any honey or debris will require a larger wick, (clogs the wick, doesn't burn properly) and if the wax is really clean, one can use a smaller wick size.

i try my best to avoid this headache with wax/wicks when i clean and melt the wax down.  i wash my cappings clean in water. i run my wax through a solar melter and filter heavily. the wax comes out really clean. when i melt wax down for candles, i will pour from a larger pitcher into a smaller pitcher to filter one last time before i pour into a mold. i use a very tight nylon like curtain material rubberbanded on top the smaller pitcher, because this material will catch remaining tiny bits of propolis etc.....

if i know my wax is clean i have less problems with wick selection and being concerned about whether the wax is going to affect how it burns. 

also, there is a 'v' in square braid, mentioned in my post on the candle thread.  make sure you get the 'v' pointed upright.  might not matter for tealights if you get this upside down; but it will make a difference for larger candles and i would think container candles. 

i would follow the suppliers advice, and i would also order at least three of the recommended sizes of wicking for the diameter of the jar you will be using.
good luck!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Gypsi

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2016, 12:57:39 pm »
hope the cleanup went well and the candles are beautiful.  Happy Yule.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2016, 11:08:24 pm »
thanks gypsi, the cleanup went well.......it was just the initial frustration from spilling that all over the floor with work to get done that day.  it just put me behind. the candles are beautiful. candle making really is a work of art and craft. 

happy yule back gypsi..........life is good!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor