Author Topic: Lift gates  (Read 6130 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Lift gates
« on: November 07, 2016, 06:38:23 pm »
My buddy Kevin who owns Nova Nectar Apiaries (100 hives), has a flat deck truck that he runs with a lift gate on the back. He does move hives from time to time (not a lot) and was always telling me I should get one.
Well I found one on kijiji off of a wrecked 2007 GMC and it was for sale for $250. I went and picked it up for $225.
I believe it is a Waltco, almost identical to this one:
http://www.liftgateme.com/Waltco/PDF/Waltco%20Lift%20Gate_Medium%20Duty%20Rail_ptn_series_om.pdf
It needs a bit of minor work (2 pieces of minor channel iron needs replacing) and the cover for the guts where the motor/pump/tank is housed is rusted with a few holes, but these are only minor cosmetic repairs more than anything.
I will have to remove my tailgate and rear bumper, but the one thing I overlooked was the trailer hitch receiver. I am hopeful the gate will clear the receiver or I may have to remove it, or adjust the mounts of the lift gate and move it back enough to clear the hitch.
Thinking about it, since I bought the truck in 2002 and had the receiver hitch installed to pull the trailer across Canada, I have only ever used it once since, and that was just last week to move a friends utility trailer.
I could probably recoup what I spent on the gate by selling off the receiver (with adjustable hitch) and brake controller.
Does anyone else have or use a lift gate? I have to admit they are nice when lifting heavy stuff, and my back is not getting any stronger.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
Re: Lift gates
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:05:55 pm »
I would love to have one on my service truck.  :\'(  Great find.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 02:54:23 pm »
I used them often in the past, though not for bee hives, and I can tell you that you will not regret that buy one bit...   A two wheeler to roll the hive to the gate, lift up slide in and gone....
   I have been keeping my eyes open for one I could put on the little ranger, but they dont make too many that fit the smaller trucks...   I am also considering just building one. They are not that complicated...
   I wish you were closer, it would cost you a few beers to get that fixed and bolted on.. Modifications to keep hitch usable etc might cost another beer or two!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 04:37:51 pm »
I used them often in the past, though not for bee hives, and I can tell you that you will not regret that buy one bit...   A two wheeler to roll the hive to the gate, lift up slide in and gone....
   I have been keeping my eyes open for one I could put on the little ranger, but they dont make too many that fit the smaller trucks...   I am also considering just building one. They are not that complicated...
   I wish you were closer, it would cost you a few beers to get that fixed and bolted on.. Modifications to keep hitch usable etc might cost another beer or two!

I wish you were closer too and the beer would be a cost too easy to pay. :laugh:
When I actually looked at the guts of the lift, it really isn't as complicated as I had thought. They are actually fairly simple and I am unsure why they are so expensive to buy (new). I have no doubt you would have the ability and the equipment to make one from scratch.
This is my buddies lift-gate that he just welded to his flat deck truck. The platform is all but shot and he is going to weld a new deck on it, but it is almost exactly like the one I bought (mine is in way better shape.);D With 2 of us standing on it and a couple of hives it doesn't even sweat going up. You want to be careful coming down though, if there is a lot of weight on the gate it is fast! :o :D
I really don't know how the receiver will be able to stay but I guess I'll find out. Being able to use the lift outweighs the loss of the hitch as far as I'm concerned though.

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 10:33:17 am »
In the bottom picture I see your buddies receiver peeking out..  Is yours mounted differently?

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 08:27:41 pm »
In the bottom picture I see your buddies receiver peeking out..  Is yours mounted differently?

His flat deck extends out further than my stock truck box.
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 04:30:23 pm »
So you would just need a longer hitch?

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 07:52:17 pm »
Longer truck bed. :laugh:
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 01:02:52 am »
The receiver is usually mounted to the frame, so a longer bed would put it further under...  ??  Might be missing something....

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 05:29:17 am »
If it were further under, the gate wouldn't hit it when the gate was raised or lowered.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 06:31:42 am »
If it were further under, the gate wouldn't hit it when the gate was raised or lowered.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 05:56:30 pm »
Ahh, so yours sticks out TOO FAR...    Always wished I had that trouble.    :yes:

*Sponsor*