Author Topic: Hello from Wolfville Nova Scotia  (Read 4620 times)

Offline martin hill

Hello from Wolfville Nova Scotia
« on: October 13, 2016, 11:36:06 am »
Hi all,

I used to have bees here pre-varroa and I'm starting up again. I'm going to try the Flow Hive here two ways. I bought they're whole hive with a a two brood box set up plus I'm going to retrofit  a couple 8 frame deeps to hold three of the flow frames. With that set up there will also be 4 standard deep frames in the box. I'm thinking if the bees manage to fill both the flow frames and the standards by the end of the season that I could harvest the flow frames but leave the other honey for the winter and not have to feed. Any thoughts?

Offline Green bee

Re: Hello from Wolfville Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 11:52:07 am »
Welcome to the forum Martin. Hope you enjoy it here. Don't know much about the flow hive. But I wish you the best of luck. Lots of good folks here so enjoy :welcome:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
The following users thanked this post: martin hill

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 02:36:20 pm »
 Welcome martin hill to the forum, I don't know much about the flow hives either but hope you like it here and ask all the questions about bees you want.

Ken

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 05:40:14 pm »
Greetings on joining the forum.  Looking at the location maps it appears that you are within a "hop-skip and a jump" distance from Perry.
Have you met each other personally yet?

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 05:50:55 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

I am amazed at how many of us had bees before Varroa entered the scene, and are now returning to beekeeping.

Beekeeping is a lot different from when we were young.  I kept a single hive, took honey, and only worried about AFB and wax moths.

Now, it takes a complete education to stay on top of managing all of the threats to your hives.  Which means more toys ... uh equipment ... to buy.

I don't have any advice on flow-hives.

Enjoy the wild buzzy ride with your bees!

-WM
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 07:01:41 pm »
Welcome aboard Martin.....
Cheers, Bill

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 07:41:18 pm »
Holy smokes Martin. I went onto your profile and looked on the map where you are. You are just up the road from Levy's mill? That's my yard in the abandoned orchard just across the road. :D
Matter of fact, if you take the map on your profile and zoom in to the top right you can see the yard and the hives! :laugh:
Set out some swarm traps buddy, I'm sure I'll fill a few. ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline martin hill

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 08:09:37 pm »
Thanks.

Actually it's John we met at the farmer's market. Martin hill is what the locals call the stretch of road I'm on because of the two Martin farms at the top of the hill. One of them was my wife's grandfather's. My place is on the corner where the hops yard used to be. It got decimated by the strong winds last winter.

Offline martin hill

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 08:17:41 pm »
Greetings on joining the forum.  Looking at the location maps it appears that you are withing a "hop-skip and a jump" distance from Perry.
Have you met each other personally yet?

yes we met a the local farmer's market and I've bee emailing quite a bit. i hope to get my bees from him in the spring and i plan on taking the course he puts on at the local university in order to get up to speed on today's issues.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 05:30:53 pm »
MHill, first welcome hopefully you'll enjoy the forum, I'm a new beek so want have much input. I've had the opportunity to me Perry. You're very lucky to have someone with that much knowledge that close by. So please pick his brain  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline vvand111

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 05:28:02 am »
Welcome

Another newbee here in Atlanta so like Mikey said, probably won't hear a great deal from me either. I have learned so much from these guys and they are right on there games. Read everyday on here and you will learn a lot of great aspects of bee keeping.

You have one of the best with Perry being right there

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 11:36:07 am »
i am a little late to the 'welcome party'..... :)

welcome martin!
"I used to have bees here pre-varroa and I'm starting up again. I'm going to try the Flow Hive here two ways. I bought they're whole hive with a a two brood box set up plus I'm going to retrofit  a couple 8 frame deeps to hold three of the flow frames. With that set up there will also be 4 standard deep frames in the box. I'm thinking if the bees manage to fill both the flow frames and the standards by the end of the season that I could harvest the flow frames but leave the other honey for the winter and not have to feed. Any thoughts?"

i don't have any thoughts on this, however, i think many of us would like to hear from you on how well the flow hive configuration works out for  you.
good luck!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor