Author Topic: First trap out attempt.  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
First trap out attempt.
« on: October 13, 2016, 08:33:22 am »
Hi All,

I have a couple questions about doing a trap out from a tree. A woman called me out yesterday to have a look and seems in a good spot to try this since cutting the tree is not an option. I am a first year beek so do not have any drawn comb put away as yet though I do have some booming hives and my question is what to put into the box during the trap out to be successful and  how to best go about it? I have watched the video and read the threads here as well.

I guess I am mostly worried about pulling a frame of eggs and brood from one of my healthy hives only to have them die in the box I am trying to get the bees to go into before there are enough nurse bees to tend them.

The point is to have eggs for them to rear a new queen correct? Even after watching and reading I am a little apprehensive  :o

Any guidance will be much appreciated, thanks...
Cheers, Bill

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: First trap out attempt.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 09:26:41 am »
I have placed frames of eggs in a trap at 3:00PM. We had frost that night. They built 6 queen cells and the trap was queenrite in 4 weeks.You should have no problem in your area. Review the posts and ask any questions you have. It can be done quite successfully.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 09:44:37 am »
Thank you iddee and I have watched twice and have been reading all I can. My worry was for the frame of eggs and are temps are in the 80s and low 90s in the afternoon right now so glad to hear the eggs will be fine. You video is very straight forward and I think I can do this and will indeed likely have questions as this new project progresses.

Would adding lemon grass oil as well as the frame of eggs be beneficial at all (saw it in a video) or a waste of time?
Cheers, Bill

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 09:54:33 am »
I use LGO for swarms, but not traps. It may attract feral bees and cause robbing. Remember, the tree bees swarmed from another hive within a 1/4 mile of the tree. That hive may still be alive and strong. You don't want it robbing your trap. Just be sure they can WALK from the cone base into the trap box. They can smell the brood that way, and don't need more attractant.

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: Nugget Shooter

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 06:09:01 pm »
OK thanks for the info and will take heed.....  :yes:
Cheers, Bill

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 07:45:35 pm »
Take it to the bank if Iddee says it. ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter