Author Topic: Price of Clean Beeswax?  (Read 3045 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Price of Clean Beeswax?
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:49:42 pm »
what do ya all think  is a fair price for clean beeswax? 

i do not sell my own wax and probably never will. i have never purchased any filtered beeswax.... with that said i don't want to run out of beeswax for candles this year and have orders already coming in.

i have a source of clean beeswax (all cappings wax) i can purchase from a local commercial operator.  he and his brother run all their wax through a solar melter, and filter twice through cheese cloth (great plus; already filtered).  the wax is filtered into milk containers about 1 inch thick.  same as i do; i filter my wax through a solar melter into milk cartons about an inch thick. (nice bricks)  these typically weigh a pound or more.  but a nice size to melt down when needed.

the keep doesn't sell much wax.  he asks me what a fair price is and i ask him what a fair price is................ :D :D :D

i check my local supplier prices, (whom he is familiar with)  b and b honey farm is charging $8.60 a pound for clean beeswax cappings.

i don't know what clean wax sells for? 

i would appreciate any feedback! 

thank you!

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Price of Clean Beeswax?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:10:03 pm »
I bought 10 pounds last year for $72 delivered.

Added:  Forgot to say the seller was treatment free, so should be uncontaminated.
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:15:44 pm »
Nice, clean beeswax sells for $11 a pound up here, if you can find someone willing to sell it.
Beeswax is also the only thing that beekeepers are supposed to charge tax on as well. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to sell it for that price when you can easily stick a wick in it and charge double that easy. T-lights use a half ounce of wax per. I buy the clear plastic cups and pre-wicked tabs for about 25 cents each, and sell them for $1.25. Doing the math tells you that's $32 a pound! :)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 12:35:19 am »
thanks lee!  thanks perry! 

very few keeps i know near me that sell wax.  i 'met' this keep through his sister..........she is a receptionist at my orthopedic clinic in the cities. 

i am always friendly and when one goes in for the past whatever years as i have for appt's with surgeon and physical therapy, ya get to know the staff and yammer about whatever..........bees came up and that's the story. a great connection for me! 

l think i have about 25 lbs or so of clean/filtered wax right now in 1 lb or a little more bricks.  i have cappings in the freezer from this years harvest to clean and melt down next year........i don't like messing with this in winter months.

10 lbs at $72 delivered?  i would pay that lee!  $ 7.20 a pound..........no problem!  treatment free, even better!  sometimes residue remains in the wax and you can smell it! 

perry, so $11 a pound in canadian dollars would equal about $8.32 in american dollars.......?

for tealights, i also use the clear plastic cups.......but i make my own wicks (easy, saves $'s) and i sell a 4 pack of them for $10.50. (american dollars and include costs; packaging, label). 
if i sold them separately? would probably sell for $1.50 or more!  beeswax candles sell well! 

btw, I LIKE YOUR MATH! ($32 a pound as a seller, NOT as a buyer)............. :D

Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 06:52:37 pm »
ps lee,

want to buy some honey?........................ :D :D :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 11:49:41 pm »
riverbee, if I could legally sell it I would, but can't in TX without jumping through a lot of hoops.  :)
Lee_Burough