Author Topic: First Attempt Creamed Honey  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
First Attempt Creamed Honey
« on: September 26, 2016, 08:15:04 pm »

This is a picture of my first attempt at creamed honey.  Being cautious, I am only doing 5# of honey and am making plain.  I am using the Dyce method.  At this stage I am waiting for the air bubbles to rise to the top so that I can remove them, then I will put in my containers and refridgerate at 57 degrees until set.
I can see the starter working. 

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
Re: First Attempt Creamed Honey
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:42:58 pm »
How did you do that?  Recipe please?

lazy

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 06:28:51 am »
Take your regular liquid honey, add 10% finely creamed honey, carefully blend it in thoroughly, without whipping in too much air, and set in an area of 57 F. Wait 24 hours, give it another thorough blending and then jar, again placing it at 57 F. It should start to set up nicely in a few days and be ready for sale in a couple weeks.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:04:50 am »
How did you do that?  Recipe please?

lazy
lazy, I am following a worksheet.   I watched a presentation by some beekeepers at a state bee meeting.  They sell a lot of value added products at the farmer's markets.  They have different flavors of creamed honey and mix it in 60 # batches.  I am using their worksheet for guidance as they explained tricks they have learned, pitfalls, etc.   Similar info is available online.  http://www.betterbee.com/images/Creamed_Honey_Kit_Instructions.pdf

It is important to make sure your honey is between 18-17% moisture content. If you are adding flavorings, use freeze dried.  Flavors could be raspberry, jalapeno, cinnamon, maple & pecan, and so forth. 
I heated the honey to 150 degrees, on the stove top,  to destroy any existing crystallization.  My honey was already strained so no further straining needed.  After it cooled I stirred in the seed honey.  This seed I purchased was from the previously stated beekeepers.  You can buy this from Dadant or use a product like Sue Bee creamed honey.  I had bought Sue Bee, but it had liquefied and was useless for this project.  You want your seed and your honey to be at room temperature before you blend together.  Should you add freeze dried ingredients, you will want to work that in while the honey is still warm and before adding the seed, which should be done after the honey cools to below 80 degrees.
I chose to make plain creamed honey so that I would have starter for the next time. Hopefully this works and I have starter for the next time.
I am letting it set for 24 hrs so that air bubbles will rise to the top.  This morning I am going to package in 8 oz portions, refrigerate at 57 degrees and wait.  Some instructions say it can take up to 2 weeks at 57 degrees. 
At the state fair, we sold creamed honey for $9 per 8 oz. container.
The Sept. 2016 issue of American Beekeeping Journal had an article on the Dyce Method.  The woman, who was featured in the article, heated her honey in the oven.  So, whatever works for you.
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 06:59:58 pm »
bakers thanks! let us know, post an update on how it turns out.  also thanks for the pdf file and the info on the abj article from sept 2016.  i have it around here somewhere......... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 08:07:15 am »

This is after 24 hours of setting at room temperature.  Air bubble have risen to the top.  I am using the saran wrap to remove the air bubbles.  You could skim them off too.

Here I am simply weighing the plain creamed honey into 8 oz portions.  Towards the end I realized that I was running out of containers and room in my wine cooler, so the last few are in 12 oz portions.   :D

Here is my little wine cooler.  The temp is set at 57degrees.  I taped the date to the top so that I won't forget what day I put in the cooler.  It will chill here for a least 1 week maybe 2.
Even though it is small, the wine cooler has an adjustable digital temperature display on the front and holds at that temp very well.  I have seen many refrigeration units that you had to stand on your head to read and adjust.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 01:59:09 pm »
Ah-ha, wine cooler was pondering how to at 57°.
Sure looks good and at $9.00 for 8 oz. WOW !!

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 02:11:14 pm »
B12-13, what was total weight of seed used for 5lbs. of honey ? ?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 08:47:01 pm »
B12-13, what was total weight of seed used for 5lbs. of honey ? ?

I used 8.9 oz of seed.
I think I made a mistake regarding the weight of the creamed honey we sold at the state fair.  I think it was $9 for 12 ounces. 
This is one of those products that most people have not heard of before.  One needs to have samples available for folks to taste.  I am going to promote that it's not messy when children eat it.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 11:01:08 pm »
B12,check with your health dept.if it's anything like ours in Mo. they have many rules when giving out samples. If we don't comply they can, and will shut us down :yes:Ours are two women and they avoid my booth because i like to fuss with them and ask question i know they never heard of (because i make them up ;D) the last time they checked me, they ask if was giving samples? i said yes, would you like a freebee, they rolled their eyes, said no thank you and walked off laughing,That was two years ago.   :laugh: Jack

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 10:39:49 am »
You are right Jack.  Those that have booths as farmer's markets and craft shows have to be careful.  Every time someone wants a taste, on this side of the state line, the person running the booth has to be the one opening the sample container, dipping the spoon and offering it to the consumer.  I believe honey samples are a little trickier.  Some use a honey bear with a flip top lid and small opening.  A one time use coffee stir stick is then inserted into the hole to give a taste.  I am not sure if the owner or the consumer inserts the stir stick.
I don't operate a booth as I don't have enough hives to consider, or desire, to do that.  I am happy giving to family, immediate neighbors, and co workers at Christmas.  I sell the excess by word of mouth.

the last time they checked me, they ask if was giving samples? i said yes, would you like a freebee, they rolled their eyes, said no thank you and walked off laughing,That was two years ago.   :laugh: Jack

A freebee?  That could be interpreted the wrong way!  No wonder they rolled their eyes!    :o  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 11:41:40 am »
At Baker:

"A freebee?  That could be interpreted the wrong way!  No wonder they rolled their eyes!"

Jack said they walked away smiling, so old Jack may be more charming and debonaire than I thought.  I'm going to have to reconsider my opinion of Jack.  :):):)

Did your creamed honey change color or did it just look frosty?  I like the idea of creamed honey for children.  It would not be as messy.

lazy

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 01:11:22 pm »

Jack said they walked away smiling, so old Jack may be more charming and debonaire than I thought.  I'm going to have to reconsider my opinion of Jack.  :):):)

Did your creamed honey change color or did it just look frosty?  I like the idea of creamed honey for children.  It would not be as messy.

lazy

I bet "old Jack" is quite the charmer!   8)

It is changing color, lazy.  Maybe frosty is the word or opaque.  It's certainly not translucent any more.  I will post more pictures when I get a finished product.  Every day it sets up a little more. 

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 03:02:51 pm »
I just started my first batch of the year today. I had a 4 gallon pail with around 4 to 5 kilos of creamed honey I had saved, and I just added enough to make it 20 kilos total. I then fired up the mixer on the end of my electric drill and blended it until it was evenly mixed, and then placed in to my new-to-me fridge @ 57 F. I will go out tomorrow and blend it up once more and then jar it, putting the jars back into the fridge for a couple weeks. People are always asking for it, but in the summer and without a fridge it's too warm to make.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 03:39:24 pm »
Cool Perry!  I had read that creamed honey was very popular in Canada.  From what I understand, a lot of the honey produced in Canada crystallizes quickly.  So Dyce created a way to control the crystallization. 

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 05:58:16 pm »
In the province of Quebec, creamed honey outsells liquid honey. Most places sell creamed honey in those opaque tubs but Quebecer's insist on it in glass jars so they can see it. We sell ours in glass jars as well.
Goldenrod granulates quite quickly but there wasn't much of a flow of it this year it was so dry. I have heard in the prairies that canola granulates incredibly fast, often in the comb itself if not extracted quickly.
Forum Supporter

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 09:00:38 pm »
For our samples we use the eco taster and a squeeze bottle. Check out http://ecotensil.com

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 06:36:43 am »
For our samples we use the eco taster and a squeeze bottle. Check out http://ecotensil.com

That is neat. I like the idea of having your own logo on them if you wanted too.
Forum Supporter