Author Topic: candle scents  (Read 2606 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
candle scents
« on: September 18, 2016, 05:55:39 pm »
Hi Everyone,
   I've been making a few candles, just trying to get the hang of it, and when people hear about it the first question they ask is, "What scents will you use?"  I'm not sure why but it makes me rather crazy!  Almost angry even.  My thought is if you have an excellent product, 100%pure, why would you add something to it?  Then I think a bit more and it dawned on me, I'm not buying these candles, THEY ARE.  So, while I may completely disagree with it for myself, I think I'm going to add scent to SOME of the candles I make.  There are ga-jillions of scents out there and I'm curious, what scents do you use?  Where do you get them? What candles do you use them in?  What's your best selling scented candles?  I've got some books coming but let me also ask, how much scent do you use to how much wax? 
    Thanks,  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: candle scents
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 11:10:27 pm »
ted, hear what you are saying.........beeswax is an excellent scent by itself........i don't put any scent in my candles.

maybe at some point i might experiment.  what's popular? for me i would ask customers who have purchased my candles or ask what they would like.  some scents i can get from my bee supplier; other than that just google 'candle scents' and 'fragrance oils' for candles.

thanksgiving/christmas type scents would be cool?  pumpkin/fir-evergreen tree/ cinnamon spice of some type/ baked pies/cookies (many scents of these)? 

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 12:21:18 am »
Hi Ted  :)  Frankly, I haven't ever run across beeswax candles that have added scent. Maybe there are candles that are half beeswax and half standardscandle making wax. Then the, standard candle wax could be scented. Then blended with the beeswax.

Anyway, my most favorite scent is Spiced Pear, it's a more subtle scent. Sweet Magnolia is lovely. If you're going to sell at holiday craft shows, I think River is right on about scents like Pine, Cinnamon, Peppermint.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 07:56:51 pm »
Thanks ladies!  I'm still not completely convinced that that's the direction I want to go, ruining good wax, but if I do it'll be a cinnimon, evergreen kind of scent.  Something holiday like.   Thanks, Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 08:11:18 pm »
I'm starting to follow my friend Kevin's line of thinking. When it comes to things like honey or beeswax, his opinion is if you are selling out every year, why add anything to the mix, you are just creating more work for yourself? I asked him why he didn't sell a smaller size jar of honey (he only sells 500g and 1 kilo jars) and I asked him why he didn't make creamed honey? His answer made sense, why would he when he consistently sells out of what he does have?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 08:46:45 pm »
Thanks Perry!  I like that.  I haven't sold ANY candles as of yet.  Just making prototypes for now.  Seeing what works and what doesn't.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 11:55:41 pm »
ted, like i said, i'm with you, why ruin the great smell of beeswax!!! it's awesome!  and like perry said.....'why add anything to the mix, you are just creating more work for yourself?'

beeswax candles sell all by themselves every year for me, all by themselves. no one has yet to ask me why i don't add scent (sorta surpises me) BUT some folks do ask for larger pillar candles.  i have a variety of molds/candles made from them and they all sell well without scent. 

not discouraging you, just sayin'

if i were to experiment with different scents, guess i would do something that is thanksgiving and christmas type.......cinnamon, evergreen, pumpkin pie, etc..........
oh and not the scent of a turkey/ham/prime rib/ or crab legs on the grill or in the oven/stove top........... :D

best wishes ted, let us know what you decide!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 09:20:18 pm »
Ted,

If you do decide to offer scented candles, Sweet Wife recommends Oregon Trails. They have a website.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 10:56:34 pm »
Today I smelled a candle that was labeled Beeswax and Coconut.  It was pleasant.  I am not a big coconut scent fan, but it didn't over power the scent of the beeswax.  I wish that I had taken the time and read the label to see if there was really beeswax in it.