Author Topic: Alternative to epi pens under development.  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Alternative to epi pens under development.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 08:50:36 pm »
It seems to me I just read another article about another product coming available soon that will be about a third of the cost of the Epi Pen.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 10:43:16 pm »
thanks zweefer...........

my epi prescription is due......not sure what i am going to pay this year, even with insurance it was ridiculous last year, but like others that need the epinephrine.......what can you do?

douglas mcmahon of eagan, minnesota, (i think perry is talking about) is trying to get approved, a great deal of road blocks, money and fda approval.
actually, i met dr mcmahon. he was associated with the clinic i was receiving my venom immunotherapy injections from and i had two exams with him. awesome guy and doc! 

was paying attention to the mylan congress thing today...........
here is one report......many others.

Mylan’s Chief Is Chastised by Lawmakers Questioning EpiPen Pricing

50 dollar profit for each pen? ..........?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 11:35:35 pm »
I was made aware of a generic epinephrine auto injector.  It is NOT the Mylan brand epipen. Tomorrow I will get the brand name and look up the cost but it is a generic alternative.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 01:02:14 am »
Okay, looked it up and it is made by Greenstone a division of  Phizer. It differs from epipen in the method of application. I couldn't find anything about price.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 11:18:05 pm »
neil, how does it differ in the method of application?
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 11:45:57 pm »
neil, how does it differ in the method of application?
I was wondering the same thing.  If it includes a needle as shown in the article, no thanks.  I want to take the cap off and jam it in my thigh if I can't breathe.  But, I'd expect it to be more refined than the picture in its final iteration.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 02:07:14 am »
It's fairly simple, but slightly different. It's predosed liked the epipen. My memory is not good and I haven't refreshed myself on it recently but it is basically the same thing. I intend to talk to my doctor and pharmacist about it to see if in fact it is more reasonable in cost.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 06:31:59 pm »
it is different, and like lee, not sure i wanted to be wielding an exposed needle....... :D
i'd probably poke myself elsewhere.

it is not the case with the generic neil is talking about.  GREENSTONE eppy is an auto injector, it doesn't have an exposed needle but requires the removal of two caps, rather than one as mylan's epi pen.  also, mylan's epi pen is a 'swing' and 'jab' motion to the outer thigh, greenstone's is a 'press down hard' on the outer thigh to release the needle. 

i did a little research and found the 'greenstone' generic is made by 'adrenaclick'. (authorized generic of 'andrenaclick'.  here is a photograph of the greenstone auto injector:

here is an article explaining the differences of all available eppy pen auto injectors with a table outlining the key differences between epinephrine auto inject devices:

Important Considerations When Dispensing Epinephrine Auto-Injector Devices

a screenshot of the table:

excerpt of differences:
"In addition to the lack of therapeutic equivalence among epinephrine auto-injector products, differences exist between the auto-injector devices’ appearance, administration technique, and dose verification (Table). It is important to understand these differences, as they may have important clinical implications for patients and their caregivers. For patients who have been using a particular brand, switching between products increases the likelihood that either the patient or caregiver may be confused when administering the injection, potentially leading to serious clinical outcomes, including death. For example, the EpiPen Auto-Injector requires the removal of only one cap to prepare for administration, while the authorized generic epinephrine autoinjector requires the removal of two caps. If the patient or caregiver attempts to prepare the authorized generic epinephrine auto-injector based on their experience with EpiPen Auto-Injector (removing only the second cap), they may not realize that the drug was not appropriately discharged. In addition, removing the second cap before removing the first cap may expose the patient to accidental needle sticks from the exposed needle.10,12 In order to avoid confusion, all patients and/or caregivers should be educated on epinephrine auto-injector devices and their proper administration techniques every time a prescription is picked up, confirming not only the instructions for use, but also the product being dispensed."

how to use Adrenaclick (also Greenstone) insructions with video:
How to Use Adrenaclick

a link to a pdf file describing the use of EpiPen Auto-Injector, Auvi-Q and Adrenaclick (Greenstone as well) Directions I have also uploaded as an attachment:

EpiPen Auto-Injector and Auvi-Q and Adrenaclick Directions

how to use the Adrenaclick/Greenstone generic auto injector from the pdf file (screenshot):

a you tube video showing the injection of the 3 devices (including Adrenaclick/Greenstone)  the greenstone, one removes two caps, and the needle is exposed after injection, whereas mylan's epi pen automatically retracts the needle after injection (no exposed needle after injection):

hope this helps anyone looking at alternatives to eppys and the generic greenstone. 
think i am going to stay with mylan's eppy. so used to pulling one cap, swing and hit the outer thigh, needle goes in, count 10, pull out, needle retracts, no chance of injuring yourself or someone else especially if you in a panic situation. 
i could probably get used to the generic version.  sorta hard though, pull the mylan eppy out of protective case, (flip a cap) pull one cap off the mylan product, hit yourself in the thigh, done. no needle exposed.
Forum Sponsor

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 10:35:28 pm »
Thanks Riverbee,

Not sure yet if my insurance will cover all of the mylan device, so that will make a big difference in which one I get. As a friend but it some years ago, I live so far under the poverty line, I have to drive all day to get to it. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a