Author Topic: Cut comb honey prices  (Read 9550 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Cut comb honey prices
« on: July 11, 2016, 06:21:49 pm »
Wondering what price others are asking for their cut comb.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
Re: Cut comb honey prices
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:22:37 pm »
Is that cut comb in a square plastic box or in a jar with honey?

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 09:39:00 pm »
Cut comb in a square box.  We always called comb in a jar with honey "chunk honey".  It would be helpful to get ideas for that price also.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 12:28:17 am »
I sell mine for $6.00 a pound, but i know some that sell it for a lot more? Jack

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 04:45:01 am »
I have seen prices closer to $12.  I think it depends a lot on location.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 08:44:20 am »
I think I remember someone on the forum that priced it at $1.00 per ounce.  It was sold in a cute little package.  Six dollars per pound is too cheap for liquid honey.  Come on Jack, ask your locals to pay for the wear and tear on your poor bees.  :)

lazy

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 09:49:37 am »
Posted in another thread when the question came up last week.
Here are a few listed on line. They start at about $1.00 an ounce and go up from there. Call it Kosher and it seems you can double the price Jack... JACK"'S Kosher Honey!!
http://www.grampashoney.com/buy-our-honeys/comb-honey/    0.75 LBS - $14.99
http://www.thehoneybeestore.ca/HoneyComb-Ontario-Niagara-Canada-p/123625.htm   0.66 LBS- $13.50
https://www.amazon.com/Ziyad-Natural-Pure-Honeycomb-Ounce/dp/B00DFB7JSW/ref=pd_sim_325_3/180-3010165-8242510?ie=UTF8&dpID=510AScCgmFL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=HXPZBBDK64VQ12RJWN1N   0.875 LBS - $12.97
http://savannahbee.com/raw-honeycomb-with-bee-bread 0.75 to 0.825 LBS $24.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G2Y5J6C?psc=1 0.5 LBS - $12.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2UVZ64?psc=1 0.787 LBS - $29.75
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 06:12:56 am »
Kosher Honey????? :o
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 09:56:47 am »
Its all in the marketing. honey comb with pollen stored in some of the cells would normally be rejected as saleable comb honey. Market it as honey with Bee Bread and charge twice as much. http://savannahbee.com/raw-honeycomb-with-bee-bread
Express the virtues of your honey comb and the health benefits of your product. Call it Kosher and it has to be twice as good as any other product in the market to warrant the high price. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2UVZ64?psc=1
Both these leave a bad taste in my mouth. The first from the pollen being in the comb. the second from the crap we were just fed, His bees\comb are no more Kosher than any one else.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 10:23:48 am »
Kosher just means it is fit for human consumption according to Jewish law. Ef can probably tell us more about that.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 01:23:12 am »
ted,
my comb honey is made from foundation-less frames in 8 frame medium supers, so the comb honey produced by the bees is very thick, and nothing is cut from this to fit in a box, my boxes are custom for medium super frames. also, i ensure that the face of the comb is nothing but white.

when cut, i measure with a scale and i charge by the gram, rather than ounces/pounds.  some cut comb weighs more, some weigh less.

i charge 0.0325 cents per gram and i add 2.25$ for labeling packaging.  so for example; comb honey that weighs 530 grams and/or about 1 lb and 2 3/4 ounces, i sell for $19.50.  (actually this equals $19.47, i round it up to an even number).
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 09:47:07 am »
Hey riverbee!  Is that 8 frames in a 10 frame box (medium super)?  Josh and I are still trying to get supers drawn.   We run 10 frame mediums for supers and,  like you, are using foundationless frames for our cut comb.  Next year,  when frmore frames are drawn, we hope to run 9 frames with one foundationless for a bit thicker cut comb.  I got a feeling that your price might be a bit high for this area, at least initially. I'm leaning towards $10 to $12 a pound, then raise it in a year or two when folks find out how good it is.  We are however a work in progress so many current deisions may change.  Ted

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 01:52:11 am »
hi ted, yes, 8 frames in a 10 frame box (medium super).

9 frames in a 10 frame box will also get you some nice comb honey.  the price of my comb honey? yes it might seem high, but folks pay it.   ;D 
it took me awhile to build up the price, 10 to 12 bucks?  i would pay that in a heart beat for comb honey! when folks who love comb honey know you have it, they will be back...........not many up here in north country appreciate comb honey.  good luck ted!
Forum Sponsor

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 09:38:26 am »
Kosher just means it is fit for human consumption according to Jewish law. Ef can probably tell us more about that.

In order to be called Kosher, it has to BE Kosher and there are many states in the U.S. that have laws of "truth in labeling" on that subject. 
The laws regarding Kosher are many and complex, depending on what food items you are dealing with.  Generally speaking,  before manufacturers or packagers label something as kosher, they make sure that their product has rabbinic supervision to assure that it really meets the requirements.

As far as kosher honey requirements,  they are relatively simple:  the honey has to be pure, with no additives of animal origin.   That can be a problem with  comb honey if it is infested with eggs of wax moths or other insects that tunnel beneath the cappings.  I have seen comb honey that looked beautiful when packaged and a few weeks later turned out to be infested.  That, of course, means it wasn't kosher from the outset.  People who eat only kosher foods can use regular extracted honey that has been filtered, even though it doesn't have supervision. However, some people will still only purchase  honey that is labeled as kosher and gives the assurances of  reliable, rabbinic supervision.

As an example, in years gone by, when I marketed honey, people who know me, would buy my honey without any hesitation.  However, there arre those who don't know me and some would and some wouldn't buy my honey.  On the other hand, my grandson, who markets on a much larger scale, in order to assure acceptability by all, has arrranged for supervision which enables him to label his honey as "Kosher" and his labels bear the insignia of the authority who testifies to it's being authentically kosher.
The following users thanked this post: Perry

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 10:11:51 am »
Thanks for the explanation Ef  Good to know

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 02:28:37 pm »
Thanks Ef,

That clears that up. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 09:18:12 pm »
Thanks Ef for the clarification!!
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline sc-bee

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 12:47:45 am »
ted,
i charge 32.5 cents per gram and i add 2.25$ for labeling packaging.  so for example; comb honey that weighs 530 grams and/or about 1 lb and 2 3/4 ounces, i sell for $19.50.  (actually this equals $19.47, i round it up to an even number).

Savannah Bee ain't got nothing on you... 530 grams X 32.5 cents = $172.25 + 2.25 for packing= $174.50  you go river  :o ;)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 02:07:24 am »
................ :D :D :D

LOL!  well dang, was never much of a math wizard sc............! i are college edjucated............ :D

got my decimal points mixed up!  and will correct, thanks!

i charge 0.0325 cents per gram, not 32.5 cents per gram............ ;D
lol, i could probably retire all over again for all the comb honey i have sold......... :D

so comb honey weighing 530 grams x 0.0325 = 17.225 then i add 2.25 (packaging/labeling) = 19.475.  i rounded up to 19.50.......... ;D

thanks sc for saying what you did, folks were probably wondering what the.............?!  right?! 

savannnah bee?! yeah right!  lol! too funny!
Forum Sponsor

Offline sc-bee

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 03:17:40 am »
You Da MAN, and eye wonted to try sum of dat der stuff  ;D