Author Topic: The Flow  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
The Flow
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:26:49 am »
I know when pollen comes in because I can see it on the back legs of the bees.

How do I know when 'The Flow' starts?

What is 'The Flow' ??
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tecumseh

Re: The Flow
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:34:09 am »
the problem with describing 'the flow' is that it does take on great variation in what you might observe.  first there are trickle flows (I sometimes refer to these as punctuated flows which I think rhetorically is a bit more accurate) and then their are bountiful flows (which you might describe as constant and persistent).   most of these you really monitor at the front entry based on how many incoming and outgoing flights you see.  you could I would guess reduce this to some number but which I some times reflect on as a bit like watching planes at an airport.... so in most airports planes seem to come an go on a leisurely bases and something similar is what you might expect on a trickle flow.... on the other hand if you sat at the end of the LA airport during the busy time of the day what you might see here would look a bit more like a bountiful flow.

one of these will stimulate and allow a hive to thrive and the other is what is required to make any kind of surplus for the beekeeper.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 11:13:44 am »
Considering that you watch your girls every day,  you should be able to recognize the change in their behavior.  When the flow is on, the bees enter and leave the hive as if in a frenzy.  They want to get to the source of the nectar as fast as they can and return and unload in a zip.  No more leisurely coming and going.  Often, when a flow is in full swing and the girls have entered  into the swing of things, you will see them bumping into each other as they enter and leave. It's really quite a sight.
During the nights, you'll hear a happy hummm near the entrance, as the bees vibrate their wings to speed up the evaporation of the water from the nectar so as to concentrate it and make room available  for more inside the cells.  Many bees will be standing at the entrance during this process and you can often smell the concentrated fragrance (REAL perfume) of the flowers they've been working.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 11:18:00 am »
You have a way with words Ef. That's almost nice enough to print off and frame!  ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 12:58:22 pm »
ef- well I have to agree with Perry, that was downright poetic! I'm such a visual learner and I have seen this activity when the bees are so happy and productive. That's one of the real reasons I sit most morings with my bees, the aroma is so intoxicating, and they land on my and clean and groom themselves.

Thanks for this turorial of which now I have a visual tool! No wonder you were and still are a teacher  :)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 01:31:58 pm »
Well said Jay!! That was my thought when I read that..    He never retired, hes still teaching!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 02:11:20 pm »
Dang! if ef were teaching bee classes I might even consider flying out for his classes.