Author Topic: Banjo string  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Dunkel

Banjo string
« on: May 01, 2016, 02:50:08 pm »
Well I have found what I will be using to cut out cells from now on.  One of the allures of grafting has been not having to cut out cells in the wrong places.  I had just mangled a bunch of cells with a fillet knife  and was watching a web chat.  One of the topics was cutting out cells and one gentleman said he used piano wire.  During school the next day I hit up one of my musical students for some old strings he may have.  He brought me a dozen or so. 

I used the small one that still had the wire coils around the string.  Perfection, I could slip the wire through the foundation and saw them out perfectly.  With the knife, the wax would stick to the blade and cause movement of the whole thing, destroying the ones next to the wood. The string resulted with very little movement of the surroundings.  Also those big juicy ones that connect to the frame were able to be cut off without damage.

Just thought I would pass that along, pretty interesting trick. I have added it to my wax pencil and lighter :D

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
Re: Banjo string
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 03:29:38 pm »
Dunkel, your idea set my mind into action.  What about dental floss picks, those little "handles" with dental floss stretched across an arch of plastic at one end?  Do you think it has a chance of competing with a banjo string?

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 04:18:20 pm »
Thanks Dunkel,

Good idea C:-)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 07:59:19 pm »
Ef, I'm not sure, worth a shot.  Just take some old comb and give it a try, before the actual performance.  I think the cutting through and nothing else contacting the wax is the key.  I did it again this evening, works great.