Author Topic: Renting  (Read 5213 times)

Offline crazy8days

• https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crees-Bees/264227527049555?ref=hl
Renting
« on: January 11, 2014, 04:10:34 pm »
A friend of my brother is interested in beekeeping.  We have bee talking quite a bit via email.  She has purchased 2 nucs and is now looking into buying hiveware.  I was thinking if anyone has rented just hiveware to newbees.  We all know how much money it takes to get started your first year.  And there is always the possibility they do it one season, lose their bees and that's that.  Sooooooo, has anyone done this?  I was thinking 1/2 what it would cost each hive.  Then if at the end of the season they want to continue pay the remainder balance.  If they don't and bees are in good health I could buy the bees from them.  If they are lost I get my hives back with drawn foundation.   
“It's wonderful to me that bees have this simple, age-old thing going on.” -Peter Fonda

Offline BoilerJim

• https://www.facebook.com/jim.taul
Re: Renting
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 04:16:47 pm »
You may be in uncharted waters, Crazy.

IMHO  I would be afraid if my bees went crazy and I had to make splits and then if I would get a lot of swarm calls this spring I might cut myself short of hive ware and then have to buy/make some for myself all the while my wooden inventory is being used by her.   :sad:
Jim (BoilerJim)
Proud Member (Hoosier Division)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:20:19 pm »
The only fly in the ointment with your proposal would be if there ends up being some type of disease that takes them out. The wooden ware  may essentially be lost. I guess it all depends on the value of the relationship. For a friend I might.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline BoilerJim

• https://www.facebook.com/jim.taul
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 04:26:32 pm »
I like what Perry said, "For a friend I might."

Like him, I would for a friend any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Jim (BoilerJim)
Proud Member (Hoosier Division)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 04:29:33 pm »
I like what Perry said, "For a friend I might."

Like him, I would for a friend any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Thanks.........................friend!  ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 04:32:28 pm »
Im going out on a limb here. IMHO Beekeeping is like any other hobby if you cant afford to buy the minimal equipment needed it is probably a hobby you cant afford
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 04:52:29 pm »
Before I would engage in that kind of deal I would make conditions. Keep the hive at my place and I have final say in any treatments (or lack of treatments)
Frank

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 05:08:56 pm »
a snip...
 If they don't and bees are in good health I could buy the bees from them.  If they are lost I get my hives back with drawn foundation.   

tecumseh..
then my question to the first assumption is at what price

and to the second assumption 'or a hive plumb full of wax moth'

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 05:10:16 pm »
My cousin wanted to get started last year. I told him to come get a hive. If he wanted 2, he could buy one. He came and picked up 2 and paid me for 1. He harvested honey last fall and has 2 hives 3 boxes deep going into winter. I give away more bees then I sell.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline crazy8days

• https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crees-Bees/264227527049555?ref=hl
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 06:19:40 pm »
It was just a thought that popped up in my mind.  Jim, there not the ones you know.  My bros neighbor.  Older couple.  I never thought about the possibility of running out and hive issues .  Thanks everyone!
“It's wonderful to me that bees have this simple, age-old thing going on.” -Peter Fonda

Offline GLOCK

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 06:33:05 pm »
I'd be worried about you might get back . AFB one to worry about and I'm sure a lot others all so.
I agree with  MinnieMo.
Say hello to the bad guy.
5 year Beekeeper/40 hives/ treat{oav}

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 06:45:45 pm »
I'd be worried about you might get back . AFB one to worry about and I'm sure a lot others all so.
I agree with  MinnieMo.

Yes, like buying a boat and asking about how much fuel it uses; if you have to ask that, you cant afford the boat!

The idea about disease was part of my conditions. Also you have to decide how much implied mentoring it will involve. That might test a friendship!
Frank

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 07:32:51 pm »
A hive without frames costs me about 30 bucks and TIME to make it and paint it..  I have given a few away for nothing. They have to buy the frames/foundation.. I don't really like starting folks on foundation-less and thats the only frames I make.
   Getting people interested is often not so much about NOT having the money to support the hobby as it is not wanting to TRY something and waste the money if they dont like it. In most cases two free hives minus the frames results in hives purchased the following year. Those that dont are not a huge loss.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 10:45:30 pm »
what you are talking about is not renting.  It's more like lending someone money to start a hobby.  If you want to help them out, offer to mentor them and keep any kind of financial involvement out of it.   Also you could look through your gear and gift them something that like an old veil or smoker. 
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Dirt road

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 11:20:38 pm »
what you are talking about is not renting.  It's more like lending someone money to start a hobby.  If you want to help them out, offer to mentor them and keep any kind of financial involvement out of it.   Also you could look through your gear and gift them something that like an old veil or smoker.

Or lend them a few things if you have extras. Completely agree with pistolpete!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 11:34:29 pm »
I helped my friend out by just giving him a swarm from my hive. He got ready first by building his hive and new where he was going to put it and spent his winter studying. In our town, there are several beeks that you can get a swam from. Mostly they will keep the big swarms and give away the small swarms. Turns out my hive swarmed and he got his bees from me.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 12:49:26 am »
When I downsized I lent a beekeeper a couple of hundred supers for honey If you have the extra equipment having bees in it allows the bees to keep it in good repair.have lent mating nuc boxes out to another beekeeper and have borrowed hives for doing pollination. What goes around comes around.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 10:09:26 am »
This is a tough deal.  Doing business with family and friends is walking a narrow line.  If you like these people that much, set him up with two hives, and write it off on your taxes as a gift or a loss.  The second option would be to set him up with the two hives, and tell him "when and if" he sells some honey to repay you.  I'm an old guy and have worked with family and friends, and it can sometime be difficult. 

Remember that the other party will also need your expertise.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 10:23:22 am »
I disagree with Lazy just a tiny bit here. Make them put something into the mix. Even if you are going to give it away, only do it after they go into hives with you several times, or post on a forum or two where you visit, or build a hive, or anything to know they have something invested.
Otherwise, you take it over there and they expect you to care for it. The most they will ever do is look at the bees flying and "maybe" mow around it.

I have offered a life long friend a hive for the last ten years, free. All he has to do is come down and assemble it and paint it, and remove the 5 frames and queen from a strong hive. So far, it hasn't happened.

He's just toooooo busy.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein