Author Topic: 500 tubes of lip balm  (Read 14841 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: 500 tubes of lip balm
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2016, 01:05:54 am »
my apologies for not responding sooner.....took a trip to go trout hunting............ :D :D :D

"Checking things out on line I see that Mountain Rose Herbs have "unrefined coconut oil" but it says nothing of "organic".  Is that a problem?   Also couldn't find Majestic Mountain Sage for the anhydrous lanolin.  I did find a company called SoapGoods that has "lanolin anhydrous-USP", will that fill the bill?  I also thought we should get a spatula scraper.  It looks like the 4 inch is closest without going over the size of the Oval Lip Balm Tray.  Correct?  Thanks, Ted"

ted. yes the unrefined coconut oil sold by mountain rose herbs is organic; description:

"Certified Organic & Fair Trade Certified & Kosher Certified & Non-GMO Project Verified"

Mountain Rose Herbs Coconut oil Unrefined Organic

btw, anything mountain rose herbs sells is probably the best on the planet, may pay a little more, but you get what you pay for and great customer service. 

anhydrous lanolin majestic mountain sage, webpage here:

MMS anhydrous lanolin

scrapers?  use a plastic paint scraper, works great, whatever size that you like to use to scrape off the top of the lip balm trays ted.  the trays will have a dang 'divet' in the center of the tray molded into the plastic. grind it down.  i use a two inch paint scraper, works great.......... i scrape one side and then the other. you might do it different.  if you don't grind the center divet down from the molded plastic tray, you will be cursing non disney language and will be messing up the tops of your finished lip balm if you don't do it, whether you use a 4 inch or a two inch, cuz the scrapers will get hung up on this.  grind the divet down in the center, run your scraper quickly across, nice, smooth tops.  your welcome ted......... :D :D :D

"Hey Squirt, or anyone? i can't find a measuring cup or syringe that measures grams? Is a CC. or Ml. the same as a gram or close to it??? Jack"

jack, i use a digital scale that measures grams.  measuring in grams is the best way to measure ingredients for what i have done. you can as keith suggested  find a conversion table on the net........
i would just make life simple and purchase an inexpensive digital scale.  no measuring cups or syringes measure in grams, most of these measure in ccs, milleters, teaspoons, tablespoons and drams.  when it comes to mixing up lip balm, ya  have a little fudge room here and there, unless you are as anal retentive as i am........... :D :D :D

hope this helps everyone, and thanks bakers, ya all post your results!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2016, 10:44:48 pm »
i finally labelled 500 TUBES OF LIP BALM on saturday evening...........wow, what a chore!  (it rained all day)

the labels were not ordered and completed on time in june(someone else behind) before i left for vacation.  i received the labels when i returned last week.

i spent most of last saturday afternoon into late evening putting these labels on..........they are somewhat forgiving, but once figured out and you get in a 'jag', it goes pretty well.  i will upload some pix in the next few days.

my contact information is very prominent on the label.......very cool!

in all honesty, i don't think i want to tackle 500 tubes of lip balm too soon again in the near future.......

actually not sure i want to do any lip balm for awhile.......... :D :D :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2016, 12:36:53 pm »
I completed my first batch of lip balm this week.  Riverbee, I used your recipe.  There is some skill required to pouring and then scraping to get a nice smooth finish.  I am not there yet.  I accidentally made the scent slightly stronger than the recipe.  Not much though and it was a bit over powering.  I think the scent will dissipate in time.   Over all, I think lip balm is not difficult if one has the proper tools.   Next time I will consider some labels.
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2016, 11:32:32 pm »
thanks bakers, 

lol, accidentally made it stronger?  i was asked to tone the peppermint down for the 500 tubes i made........... :D
how overpowering?  i personally like a little more zing of the peppermint, but some don't.  i really had to experiment to get it to a 'go' from a 'tester staff'.
did you like the recipe?  any changes you would make or suggestions?  (thanks in advance!)

there is some skill in pouring and finishing the tops.  did you use the tray designed to hold tubes?  i used them and did not flood the tray as recommended. i seated the tubes and poured directly into each tube quickly, overfilled, and would go back and top off if need be, and yes, there was some 'flooding'.  i did not use scrapers supplied or purchased.  there is no edge on these.  i found they messed up the tops sometimes.  i used regular paint scrapers (they have a beveled edge).........these left a great smooth top to each tube. and also, i let the tubes cool/harden completely before scraping off the excess. 
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2016, 08:55:44 am »
riverbee, I used a little kitchen gadget I had on hand to scrape the excess off the top.  Yes, I bought a lip balm making tray.  I filled each tube to over flowing and then went back and topped off.  I waited 24 hours before scraping and capping.  I wore latex gloves and got the tubes a little greasy. 
Following the recipe for 37 tubes, I accidentally got 8 grams of peppermint EO so I added an extra gram of rosemary too.  Your recipe was flexible about amounts of EO.  I think it will dissipate.
The balm really stays on once applied.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2016, 02:09:02 am »
thanks bakers! 
what was the kitchen gadget you used?
there is no need to wait 24 hours before you scrape and cap. i waited until the excess balm on top of the tray was cool/hardened, and tubes were cool......maybe 20 minutes, if that? scraped the excess off, turned the tray upside down, carefully pulled the tubes out and capped them.  also, i used oval tubes/tray.  i didn't wear gloves, just kept washing the beejeebers out of my hands. if your tubes were a little greasy, in the future just use a cotton ball swabbed in a little isopropyl alcohol......should take it right off.

8 grams of peppermint would probably be okay for 37 tubes? rosemary; instead of the extra gram to compensate, 1/2 gram?  what did you find more prevalent?  not sure it will dissipate bakers?

i had so much lip balm on my skin (back of my hand> consistency) and lips, trial runs, testing......... :D 

the balm stays on because of the amount of lanolin in it!

Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2016, 08:50:44 am »
I took a handful of tubes to work and passed them out.  Before giving a tube, I asked if they liked chap stick or lip balm. Of course everyone tried it and made positive remarks.  I will see if anyone brings it up again.  Then I will know how they really felt.   ;)  One lady said it made her hungry.   :D

Offline vvand111

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2016, 10:46:44 pm »
Thanks for this thread folks.  I have a lot of questions but for another day.  Good information

Vandy

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2016, 11:24:29 pm »
vandy, just fire away, anytime! 
Forum Sponsor

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2016, 11:09:33 am »
I made 37 tubes of lip balm yesterday and have an observation or two (probably already discussed :eusa_wall:) and a question or two.  Oh before I forget, I used riverbees recipe and LOVE it!  Thanks river! 

Observation:  When pouring into tubes, the liquid cooled/congealed after about 10 tubes. 
Question: should I have put it back on the double boiler and remelted?  I was concerned it might not be good for the essential oils. 

Observation: I can tell you that using the scraper as a putty knife and squeezing the lip balm into the tube will get it in there but, after rolling the lip balm up, it doesn't want to roll back into the tube. 

Observation:  It's kind of messy. 
Question:  How do you clean utensils and the tray?   The utensils I used are pretty clean from dish water, but the tray?  Not so much.  The lip balm is stuck in the little holes!

Observation: I rolled the lip balm tubes all the way down hoping to fill them completely.  After I got them stuck into the tray and filled I noticed, the next morning when I removed them from the tray, that there was about a 1/4 inch of balm above the lip of the tube.  I just scraped it off, but wondered if there was some other thing I could have done initially to limit the "waste"?  Maybe unroll the tube a bit, fill and when cooled roll it back down?  If that makes sense.  Gotta go!  Dear sweet wife is here!  Thanks again for the recipe and tutorial river!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.
The following users thanked this post: Lburou

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2016, 07:38:47 pm »
hi ted,
"Observation:  When pouring into tubes, the liquid cooled/congealed after about 10 tubes.
Question: should I have put it back on the double boiler and remelted?  I was concerned it might not be good for the essential oils." 

hmm, after 10 tubes?  did you keep the temp of the liquid at or just below 140 d F?
you must pour quickly, i could do 40 in a shot  ;D it was a learning curve, i would do 20 on one side, put the liquid back on the double boiler if i thought it was starting to set up.  so i am not sure why you found the liquid setting up after 10 tubes?

yes you can put the liquid back in the double boiler and remelt, if need be add additional drops of essential oils. 

"Observation: I can tell you that using the scraper as a putty knife and squeezing the lip balm into the tube will get it in there but, after rolling the lip balm up, it doesn't want to roll back into the tube."

if the lip balm is starting to set up or already set up, you are correct, it is not going to 'seat' at the base of the tube. 'smashing' it in there or forcing the balm down into the tube with the scraper as a putty knife isn't like filling a hole with spackle.  :) the liquid needs to reach the base of the tube. 
not sure i explained this well enough?  let me know~

"Observation:  It's kind of messy.
Question:  How do you clean utensils and the tray?   The utensils I used are pretty clean from dish water, but the tray?  Not so much.  The lip balm is stuck in the little holes!"

LOL, it can be a messy operation when you first start doing these, so another learning curve. 
cleaning the utensils and tray~wipe everything down with paper towel, throw utensils in hot soapy water.
the tray is the real challenge and will drive one to drinking before 5:00 p.m........... ;D
to clean the tray, the holes where the tubes are inserted~
if there was a bit of extra i would scrape out with a small swiss army knife, then go after it with paper towel, yup i know, one by one.....tests one's patience (drinking before 5:00 p.m.).
i also tried a piece of welding rod (nub on the end) with paper towel wrapped around it to run it through the holes
to get really clean? find a foam bottle brush, (i had one i used to clean out my hummingbird feeders). also a small diameter bottle brush (not made of foam).  throw the tray in hot soapy water and go after the holes with a small diameter brush.......the brushes will clean up the holes nicely.

"Observation: I rolled the lip balm tubes all the way down hoping to fill them completely.  After I got them stuck into the tray and filled I noticed, the next morning when I removed them from the tray, that there was about a 1/4 inch of balm above the lip of the tube.  I just scraped it off, but wondered if there was some other thing I could have done initially to limit the "waste"?  Maybe unroll the tube a bit, fill and when cooled roll it back down?  If that makes sense."

rolled the lip balm tubes all the way down?  empty lip balm tubes should already be in a rolled down position?
you don't need to wait overnight to pull the tubes out. just wait until the lip balm 'hardens' and the tubes are cool after filling, doesn't take long. i think i waited 30 minutes?
the 1/4" or less above the tube is standard with these trays.  this is not waste ted.  don't trim the extra off the tube unless when you pulled it from the tube,  you messed it up. (straight up and out, carefully). if you messed up the extra when pulling the tube out, use a small whatever, (i used a small swiss army knife) to cut it level with the top of the tube when i messed up. really, when the balm sets up, pulling the tubes out straight up and out should result in a nice tube of lip balm. 
think of this in terms of when you purchase a tube of lip balm~ there is about 1/8th or so of lip balm above the top of any tube of purchased lip balm.  looks great in a clear container. if you are not using a clear container, the little extra above looks great..........the way it should be! no rolling of the tube until that is gone. one note though, be careful when popping the cap on.......if you aren't careful putting the cap on, you can get a little balm on the side of the cap.......see drinking before 5:00 p.m............ :)  then some fixing of the cap (wipe it out) and smoothing off the extra of the top of the tube (small swiss army knife) , or just plain cut it off as you did. 

some tips on using these trays:

1~ when you order these trays, there will be a 'nub' in the center which WILL irritate you.  grind it down to the surface level of the tray. (the nub causes any scraper not to properly finish the top of lip balm, any scraper will catch on this causing a problem with the tops of your lip balm.

2~ do not buy/use the scrapers these companies send you/sell you. use plastic paint scrapers, these have a beveled edge. the scrapers sold from the companies online for these trays do not have a beveled edge.  the beveled edge gives you a cleaner top on your lip balm.

3~ unlike recommendations to 'flood' the tray with the lip balm liquid, i didn't. what i did was, i went down the tray pouring directly into and slightly overfilling each tube with excellent results.

4~ i used oval lip balm trays for 40 tubes.  20 slots on one side, 20 slots on the other. i used a 2" plastic beveled edge scraper. i went down one side, and then the other after the balm had cooled and set. once cooled a bit on top, i took the putty knife down one side, then the other, threw the extra back into the double boiler for the next batch. after scraping off the top of the tray, let set more until the tubes have cooled and lip balm set, then pulled the tubes out....... nice finished tops.
you can use a heat gun to 'smooth' out the top of the lip balm after scraping off the extra from the tray. i tried with mixed results. what worked best for me is scrape off the tray shortly after pouring (before the liquid sets hard), throw that back in the double boiler.  let the balm set in the tray/tubes. once tubes are cooled, pull the tubes out.  cap.

hope this helps ted and anyone else, any questions or if someone needs clarification, please ask!

Forum Sponsor

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2016, 03:31:50 pm »
Thanks riverbee!  I made another 46 tubes this past weekend and they turned out great!  The little bit of balm that sticks up past the tube?  Fits perfectly in the cap.  Didn't even think of that the first time around.  Thanks for pointing it out!  Oh, it wasn't near as messy this time either.  Apparently one shouldn't sip 6/8 ounces of espresso while watching stuff melt! It does NOTHING to steady your hands while pouring  :eusa_wall:   Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2016, 11:17:52 pm »
you are welcome ted, the tubes are made for that extra bit at the top......happy to hear the 2nd round went well for you!

Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2017, 11:26:10 pm »
an update to this thread.......
i made 500 and some odd number (526 or so ?) tubes of lip balm for my husband's law firm as a promotional item; primarily for advertising, giveaways at sponsored events, other events,  for clients and employees. it was quite the learning experience and adventure.  the label was awesome, very attractive, very professional and my contact info included.  i had never made 500 tubes of lip balm all at once and in a short period of time.  my kitchen was a total mess and discombobulation for about two weeks and i had wax and lip balm ingredients dripped/dropped and slopped on my kitchen floor and counters, not to mention my stove top.  :D

not sure i would ever tackle this project again.  the lip balm for their firm was a great 'hit' for them. i have had many compliments, and the firm has many clients asking for or coming in just to get the lip balm......... :D

one of the partners sent me an email that said:

"I just wanted to say thank you while I'm thinking about it and that multiple people have told me that they love the lip balm and want more. Whatever formula you  used is like crack, and people want it. I know because I have a pile of lip balms and keep going back to yours. We need to do it again next year. Flood the market. Thanks for all your hard work to make us shine!"

i didn't care for the 'crack' analogy; he's a young partner and speaks sometimes 'outside of the box' of mannerisms of 'traditional' attorneys............ :D
i did appreciate the compliment and the thanks. his wife keeps calling me for more.......... :D

anyway here is what i started with (pix posted earlier in the thread, thought i would repost):

this is what 500 and some tubes of finished lip balm look like.........and i hand labeled all 500 tubes.........
a beverage or two all in one night, trying to line up the label and safety tab to the tube, oh well they all went on straight............ :D

Forum Sponsor

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2017, 11:42:11 pm »
Fantastic!

Sounds like you just as well not bother cleaning up your kitchen.  It's just going to get messy again in a few months.

Just think, leaving a dab here and there around the kitchen, and you've got instant moisturizer.  Wife is always looking for her hand cream.  In your situation, she wouldn't need to look for the bottle anymore.  She could just rub her hands along the counter.

Maybe you've just invented the self-softening kitchen!
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2017, 08:07:57 am »
Knowing you, riverbee, you will get the wheels turning and figure out a way to mass produce the next batch with less effort.  You may have to purchase some new equipment?  If it's profitable.  :yes:

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2017, 11:47:39 am »
it would probably go quicker this time. part of the learning curve was development of the recipe, and in such a large amount, labeling, design and what requirements were. i had two trays and could fill 100 tubes at a time, although i found it best to do a tray at a time. it was more efficient, than trying to fill two trays at once, the recipe starts to harden if you are not moving quickly. also, there was a bit of a 'trick' to getting the labels on. once i had it down, it went rather quickly, next time, IF there is a next time, i will have someone help me label.

lol, i don't need anymore equipment! 
Forum Sponsor

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2017, 05:51:16 am »
...next time, IF there is a next time, i will have someone help me label.

Does Mr. River know he is being conscripted?  :laugh:

Glad to hear it went well.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2017, 10:58:15 am »
uhm..........yes!

actually, he's the one that figured the trick to get them centered and placed on properly.
Forum Sponsor