Author Topic: 500 tubes of lip balm  (Read 15085 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
500 tubes of lip balm
« on: February 19, 2016, 12:36:56 pm »
i have been asked by my husband's firm to provide them with 500 tubes of lip balm. every year the firm orders 'novelty' items with their logo to give away to their clients and employees, like water/can coolies, flash drives, pens, canvas bags, etc...
so the lip balm will have their logo/website on the label with my contact info, and it will be designed by their in-house guru who does all of their design marketing.

500 tubes of lip balm, i have never made 500 tubes of lip balm!............ :D
i don't even know what to charge for this?  lol, i need pete's math brain!

i did order one of these trays to speed up the process, i can fill 50 at a time. i almost purchased two? has anyone used this tray for filling lip balm tubes? 

Lip Balm Tray

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: 500 tubes of lip balm
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 01:20:11 pm »
That is a lot of lip balm!
Congrats on the order.  As I respond I realize I have nothing of value to add... :sad:
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:37:30 pm »
Good Night Nurse!

On the other hand, it's good therapy while in recovery  ;) 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 02:44:12 pm »
Balms Away, Squirt. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Jack
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 04:36:51 pm »
Riverbee:

You may wish to purchase the wax for this venture.  It would shorten the process, and it would not take the lost honey production for your bees.  Maybe if you are going to make 500 units, you could double the process and make 1,000 units.  That way you would have them for sale for the next year or two.  This is going to be an assembly line process and once it starts it will be easy to continue.

What price do you get on retail, one at a time, lip balms?  You could produce them cheap and have them for sale.  I would be interested in purchasing some of them.

lazy
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 06:14:01 pm »
zweef, thanks!

jen, lol, good therapy......it might be, but not going to happen right now until am able to tackle it and not get wax all over the kitchen! target date is june.

jack..............i accidentally pushed the 'thank you' button for your post when i meant to thank lazy...........so you get a free one for poking fun on me....lol!
btw it's good to see you back with the puns on me, someday i am going to have to come down your way and give you dance lessons............
........................ :D
jack, how are you filling your lip balm tubes?  or is your wife filling them?!......... ;D  seriously though, my hands are not as steady as they used to be so i thought this tray would work well, even if i only wanted to fill 10 or 20, just tape off the rest.

lazy thanks for your suggestion, and thanks for your interest.  these are the tubes i am using, they are clear .15 oval tubes, a little more 'real estate' for labeling:

Oval Lip Balm Tubes

i have plenty of wax; 500 tubes of .15 oz = 75 oz which = 4.6875 lbs of wax, and i do have that and much more lazy, not sure how much wax i have in pounds but i am not going to run out anytime soon.  i did consider purchasing other wax so i am not 'depleting' or taking away from my available supply, but one of the marketing details on the label that has been kicked around is that the lip balm has been made by an in-house beekeeper. with this i can't honestly use another beekeepers wax.

the assembly line process would be in the labeling.  our thought was, after the labels have been designed and printed, one afternoon/evening or two, the board president and his wife and the two of us would crank them out, all 500. 

this is a new tube i am using, so i am thankful i do not have to figure out the label! i just need to cover costs; wax, materials, and my time.  in the past lazy, i have used the round tubes with an 'okay' label and charged $3. 25 - $3.50 a tube.  this will be different for a bulk purchase such as this, and i don't have the costs of the label.  thank you lazy!

Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 07:31:47 pm »
Hey RB, i bought one of those trays for the round tube, it comes with a scraper (looks like a ice scraper) so if you run the tubes over you can run the scraper over the top of the tubes and recycle the balm. It works great,  :yes: one thing though, buy the tray where you buy your tubes, i bought some tubes from another company and the tube tray i had would not work  on the new tubes and i had to buy there pour tray. You can pour 50 tubes at a time and the balm sets up fast, 500 hundred tubes wouldn't take long to pour the wax melting, coconut oil, shea butter, ect. would take a spell. If i can do it a hippy squirt shouldn't have any problems. :no: :laugh: :laugh: Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 08:02:36 pm »
jack thanks!  i did read somewhere that wherever you buy the tray/tubes, buy from the same company, tubes, tray...........all are different?  thanks for that tip!  good to know someone else has used this and had success!

jack, i didn't buy the scrapers available, do you think the plastic paint scrapers you can buy from the big box stores would work for the tray as well?  looking at them i wouldn't see why they wouldn't......?

here are the scrapers from elements bath body; same place i bought the tray and tubes:

Spatula; Flat Spatula Scrapers

5 sizes of scrapers.  what size scraper are you using?

thanks jack!

Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 09:33:17 pm »
RB, i didn't know the scraper was separate? mine came with the tray. Yes any scraper would work, the one that came with it was the same width inside the side rails on the tray. You could buy a plastic ice scraper and cut it to size, but you really wouldn't have to. The tubes that came from the Busy Mountain lip balm kit, i can pour from top to bottom, the tubes i bought from Bulk co. likes about a 1/4 in. going to the bottom of the tube? I'll have to change the oz. weight on them, Don't understand why they made them not going to the bottom of the tube?? Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 11:51:37 pm »
Really like the oval tube, haven't seen those before  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 09:15:44 am »
Cool opportunity, riverbee! I hope your name or contact information can be squeezed somewhere on their label.   ;)

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 09:45:15 am »
Riverbee:

At the price of production, and since there was already a profitable order in place, I would produce another 500 units to sell over the next several months or year.  Also, think how cool it would be to visit in someone's home and give the hostess a "chap stick."  You could do the same with visitors to your home.  And you would have them to sell for quite some time, and the profit margin is "out of this world." 

I guess I misspoke when I used the phraseology "assembly line" work.  What I meant, and was not wordsmith enough to state it was: When I make jelly, I start with a gallon of juice and make several eight-ounce jars of jelly.  Per example, my prickly pear jelly recipe yields 60 half pint jars per galloon of juice.  Since the hardest part of jelly making is getting all the juice, cooking vessels and jars ready I find it much easier to bite the bullet and make a large batch at one time.  I would do the same with lip balm.

I drive by two flower shops in my wee town, and in the past, when we visited friends, I often take the lady of house a small arrangement of flowers or a unique sort of indoor pot plant.  I have found that a pint of honey in a Muth jar is a nice substitute for flowers.  Gee, a chapstick made from my local bees with a cute label would be nice.

Hey, think of the other ladies and old world charm.

lazy

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 10:45:04 am »
I made several extra lip balms to have on hand and wonder if it will become rancid over time? ??? If so that could set your sales back some or for ever :sad:. Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 07:41:02 pm »
jack, thanks for your earlier post on scrapers, my order of the tray came with 50 of the oval tubes all at $14.99.  think i might order another tray, and whatever scrapers, not very expensive, rather than jury rigging something i might be cussing and swearing at.......... :D

bakers, thanks! a great opportunity and yes my contact info will be on the label as well!

lazy thanks, as far as the large batch, i get what you are saying.  i will have to adjust my recipe of 7 ingredients from 20-25 tubes of lip balm to 500, so i think the easiest and best way to do this is a trial run of 50, then go from there.  also i am also always giving away honey, lip balm, candle gifts anytime i see the opportunity, it's very cool and always appreciated, last gift was to my surgeon and his p. a..  they don't get gifts or thank yous very often.

"I made several extra lip balms to have on hand and wonder if it will become rancid over time?"

yes jack it can.........here's the secret/ some info and to anyone who makes lip balm, and it will last a very long time without going rancid:

1. add an antioxidant.  use vitamin e in your lip balm.  it is an antioxidant and will increase/extend the shelf life of your lip balm, and also any bath and body products anyone makes.  antioxidants reduce the 'oxidation' process of the oils/butters in your lip balm once the cap is opened. (exposure to oxygen (air).

i use T-50 vitamin E oil, (tocopherol) it has a higher content of tocopherols than the vitamin e found off the shelf in gel caps or regular vitamin e liquid.  with that said i have lip balm that has lasted for 2 years with just regular vitamin e out of the capsule dripped in the lip balm mix and never went rancid.

rosemary oil extract is another antioxidant.  i use this in one recipe along with the vitamin e.

2. The shelf life of your product is always the shelf life of the shortest-lasting oil or butter.  with vitamin e added to your lip balm, it will extend the shelf life.  some oils and butters have a very short shelf life.  store properly, cool, dry, away from heat, and i have learned don't buy anymore than you need, otherwise it can and will go rancid on you before you can use it up. pay attention to how long you have had an oil or butter sitting around and decide if it's outdated or not.  you can google shelf life of any oil or ingredient you use in lip balm. if the shelf life is about up or up, i wouldn't use it. get some fresh stuff.

also, for this project, i think i am going to use one recipe, a copycat of the popular name brand peppermint flavor.

just curious all, what lip balm do you purchase and use?

Forum Sponsor

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 09:12:51 pm »
Holy Bat Lips---that's a lot of balm!  Good luck with the new venture :)
Chip

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 09:43:06 pm »
Chip,  how big are the bat lips in N.D. :laugh:

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 01:25:39 pm »
Chip,  how big are the bat lips in N.D. :laugh:

About the size of 500 tubes of lip balm I guess :laugh: :laugh:

Sounds like River is going to be BUSY!
Chip

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 03:02:53 pm »
How's the project treatin you Riverbee?
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 02:19:00 am »
lol.........thanks chip and zweefer! dang my life for the past couple months has been crazy!...........

and zweef, the lip balm project is kickin my butt, cuz i seemed to have misplaced my tweaked recipe (burts bees copy cat).  (actually i think it went in the trash when i purged my files during winter months along with some other records i seem to be missin while i was looking for something to do while i was beetching about hip surgeries......... :D)  so re-creating it from memory................oh wait..........hmmmm what memory..........LOL..... :D

anyways just tryin my best to catch up lately, i started the lip balm project, meant to post these earlier....... here are some pix........

500 lip balm tubes...........what was i thinkin'?

the tubes did not come from amazon but a supplier (elements bath and body) i have used in the past (great company).
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 08:07:49 am »
I wish I was closer.  I would come over and help you knock those out.