Author Topic: Making Candles!  (Read 14992 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Making Candles!
« on: October 23, 2015, 01:26:10 am »
i have spent a few days in our cold weather making some candles........here are some pix:

pic # 1: flat top tealights, (burn time about 4 hours)  beehive tealight (burn time about 7 1/2 hours) and beeswax bar

pic # 2: beehive tealight and flatop tealight closeup

Pic # 3: large beehive pillar (burn time about 30 hours) and small beehive pillar (burn time about 20 hours)

Pic # 4:  size comparison: large beehive pillar, small beehive pillar, beehive tealight and flat top tealight

the bar molds, (pic # 1) they are lighter wax and will be used for lip balm.
all of my molds (with exception of the bar mold) are of silicone and made to order from a canadian candle supplier in ontario. the larger molds, pillars (pic # 3) are without seams in the mold as other suppliers, no messing with rubber bands around the mold  and no need to use any candle mold release. 
the smaller tealights are simple, the flat top and the smaller beehive in pic #2.  just place a wick pin in the mold (finish nail), pour the beeswax in, wait for them to 'cure', then pull them out. (10 min for the flat top, 45 min for the small beehive) wick them with you own handmade wick tabs or purchased wick tabs. done!  i make my own wick tabs.  it's easy!
the pillars are different, pull wicking through the mold, pour the beeswax, wait...........about 2 to 2 1/2 hours for these molds, then pull them out.

making candles is fun!  if anyone is interested in trying candles, DO IT!  don't be afraid to try it, it's not that hard or complicated! 

BTW.......
to clean up any beeswax splotches that made it to the kitchen tile floor when you can't bend over or get down on your hands and knees..........
1.  duct tape
2.  broom handle or long handled something or another
3.  2 or 3" plastic scraper/putty knife or even 4 "  i have a few different sizes (depends on the amount of wax bits slopped on the floor............ :D...........i just had specs..........in perry's case not sure this would help.......... :D and no i wouldn't allow jack in my kitchen either........... :D)

duct tape the plastic scraper/putty knife to the broom handle, mop handle whatever. scrape up the beeswax off the floor!.............. :D
then wash it down with your kitchen mop and pine sol!
done!
..........how do i know this?................ :D

EDIT AND ADD:
neglected to add where i purchase my candle making supplies, great guy, awesome molds/moulds:

BUSY BEE CANDLE SUPPLY

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Making Candles!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 01:54:59 am »
Cute as can bee Riverbee  ;D  Thanks for sharing that. I love the scent of beeswax candles ~
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 10:10:48 am »
After reading this post i got my candle making equipment out that i have never used yet,and was going through it in my den. I have a work bench in my den and had the wax melting pot on the work bench when my wife walked by stopped, put her hands on her hips and said, DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT :o. Those things belong in your work shop, not in the house. I ask her what ever happened to the sweet woman that always wanted to do things together ??? She said watching you in action for 56 years :-X It's going to be a long Winter  :yes: Jack

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 10:20:32 am »
The only king who's castle is in the barn.   :laugh:
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 11:31:02 am »
Jack the butcher the baker the candlestick maker  :D if you make even one candle Jack... You have to take a pic and show everyone! Understand rubberband?

I have some wax left over from the block that sweet Iddee sent me last year. I will make some candles as well, and post pics  :) 8)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 12:59:58 pm »
Sweet Iddee, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Jack

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 04:26:30 pm »
I used my own little amount of wax to make lip balm following one of the recipes on this site.  As my dear friend says, "they came schweet".   I did purchase some beeswax and so far I made a four inch pillar candle.  I plan on making more for my sister for Christmas presents.  She is always burning candles and has discovered that those cheapo store candles leave soot everywhere.  Won't happen with the beeswax candles, I told her.  Good winter projects.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 04:29:15 pm »
Got me thinking what a cool hobby to get into over the winter.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 05:49:45 pm »
She is always burning candles and has discovered that those cheapo store candles leave soot everywhere.  Won't happen with the beeswax candles, I told her.
it can if the wrong wick is used for the size of the candles. Size and type of wick makes a different.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 05:59:09 pm »
lol jack and iddee, you two guys make me laugh!
you have been challenged jack! jen says you have to post pix!  LOL! (i can help you!) looking forward to pix from you jen!

neil, it is!  wait til you get started messing with candles, you get sorta addicted to it!  i love working with beeswax, also makes one appreciate what the bees have given us, another reward. candles,  i enjoy making them and having my own.....  makes the house smell so good!

btw i neglected to post where i get my molds/moulds from, (will add to my first post) can't say enough about this guy, his molds/moulds and his willingness to answer questions.  he has even offered to track down or make a mold/mould for me of a tealight that can no longer be purchased.  he will set you up with whatever you need for any mold/mould ordered (if need be) wick tabs, wick pins, proper wicking etc... for the mold/mould ordered and send instructions to make a great candle. and as les mentioned advice on wick sizing.

his name is larry, he's in ontario, canada, here is his website:

BUSY BEE CANDLE SUPPLY

scroll to the bottom and click on 'Moulds & Supplies or here:

Moulds & Supplies

ps prices are in canadian dollars
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 08:51:08 pm »
THose are some NICE looking candles Mrs. River..
   I have not made any... my wife "had" a candle shop so I always left that to her...  but now, shes GONE!!   She is in Maine!  I skype with her each night, but, it occured to me, that NO ONE is here to make threats, give me the evil eye etc...   I might just have to order some molds!  I can get wax on the floor and then DANCE on it, giggle at it, smear it around and track it all about the house!!!!!!
   Just as long as it has vanished before she comes back for christmas.....
   It occurred to me, that the KING has full reign of his castle!  for a couple months...........  :laugh:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 09:42:21 pm »
............. :D :D :D

Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 11:49:15 pm »
Scott - "It occurred to me, that the KING has full reign of his castle!  for a couple months...........

There ya go Jack! Why pick on Perry when you should be picking on Scott... for like the next 5 years  :D

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 11:56:06 pm »
Hey Riv - Thanks for those links, just what I needed. I love candles as well and burn them all winter long, keeps the house comfy.

As a matter of fact I think out of all the stuff I have gleaned from the hive, my 3 most favorite would be, honey, candles, and propolis tincture.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 02:53:19 pm »
Apisbees, could you discuss what type of wick material should be used and proper size?  I don't want to mess these up, considering how much wax costs!!! :-[ :o

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 03:18:40 pm »
I would like to know that as well. I do know this tho, thru a little bit of experience. The candles that we buy in the store have thinner wicks because parafin melts quicker and the wick stays lit. If you use a thinner wick with beeswax the wick will burn out right away cause beeswax takes longer to melt and drip. Beeswax needs a thicker sturdier wick, which makes a larger flame, which melts the beeswax slower and hotter.
The following users thanked this post: Les

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 07:36:57 pm »
The wick in the candle if it is to small it will not support a large enough flame to provide the heat to melt the top area of the candle. it will melt a dip around the flame and the wax liquid wax will raise up the wick and drowned the flame. a wick to large for the candle surface will provide to much heat and will cause the wax to be burned at a faster rate and will cause the excess melted wax to over flow the candles top wax pool and run down the sides.
As for wick size you need advice from someone ease as i have only ever made dipped candles and depending on the candle diameter the wick needs to be adjusted.
As for wasting wax it doesn't take long to see how the candle is burning and if the results are not satisfactory cut the burnt off the candle and remelt the wax and try again.
On candles like skeps and other that are non straight a compromise needs to be reached as the wick that will work at the bass of the candle may be a little to large for the tapered top
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 11:13:14 pm »
"Apisbees, could you discuss what type of wick material should be used and proper size?  I don't want to mess these up, considering how much wax costs!!!"

les, use square cotton (bleached) braided wicking. this stuff is made specifically for beeswax candles and all the suppliers carry it. the proper size of the wick depends on the diameter of the candle, and also if you are using a mold or pouring into a glass container.  AND how clean your wax is. 

i use larrys (Busy Bee Candle Supply) guideline on wick sizing, it has worked for me:

Busy Bee Wick Sizing Chart

Wick Sizing Chart

Wick Size       Recommended       
        Candle Diameter

4/0                  tealight               
3/0                    votive                 
2/0                0.8" taper               
1/0                0.9" taper               
# 1                1" - 1.5"                 
# 2                1.5" - 2"               
# 3                2" - 2.5"                 
# 4               2.5" - 2.8"               
# 6               2.8" - 3.2"               
# 7               3.2" - 3.5"           

or if you want specifics and some confusion, Atkins and Pearce:

Bleached Square Wick

the above link is a good guide when using bleached square wicking for determining wick size for your candles. i have also attached a pdf file.

Wick Selection Guide
scroll down to 'select your wax type' and click on it.

also most suppliers have and recommend wick sizing for any mold you purchase from them.  all are just guidelines.  the neat thing is if you are using a mold, and you light it and it doesn't burn properly, (or you muff it up........ :D) you can melt the wax back down again and try a different wick size for the mold you are using.

beeswax has a higher viscosity...........hmmmm, like apis and jen said............it is a thicker liquid and requires a thicker wick than other types of candles to burn properly.

beeswax..........i use nothing but cappings wax, and if you think your wax is clean even though you have filtered it, not so, and this will affect the finished product even though you may have the proper size wick. i filter all my wax through a solar melter 2 to 3 times. when i melt the wax down to make candles, i melt the brick down (double boiler method) in a large melting pitcher. when the wax is melted, i pour it into another smaller melting pitcher lined on top with nylon filter material to filter again before i pour into a mold, and temp about 160 degrees F. 

if you are pouring tealights or votives or glass container, your wicks must be primed. (coated in beeswax). you can purchase pre primed wick tabs. i make my own. this is just simply taking the wick material and dipping it in molten beeswax, hanging it to cool and straighten, then crimping the amount i need onto a wick tab.

if you are pouring pillars or tapers, the entire wick through the candle does not need to be primed, just the tip of the wick, if you desire, not necessary.  you can do this by pouring the wax down the wick (and should be anyway for any mold or container) or later dipping the tip briefly in melted beeswax. i don't. the candle will burn just fine.

also, about bleached cotton braiding............this braiding has a 'V' pattern in it, you want to place the wicking so that this 'V' pattern points with the 'V' upright in the candle, not the pointy end of the 'V' upside down like this ..........^

hope this helps, if you all would like, next time i pour candles in the next couple weeks, i can maybe photograph how i do it step by step to help out a little?
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 12:08:26 pm »
Thanks for all the info!  It's a whole other world out there.
Lee_Burough

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 09:57:25 pm »
love candles...........especially my own!...............

the pottery dish is made by a young man (junior in high school) very talented, i think i am going to put him to work and have him make some pottery dishes/candle holders for me to go with some of my candles!
Forum Sponsor