Author Topic: Supply prices jumping??  (Read 4679 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Supply prices jumping??
« on: January 05, 2014, 05:00:39 pm »
I was eyeing a Kelley jiggle knife for uncapping at $535 a week ago. I was going to wait for one of their free shipping days.
I just looked it up today and the price has jumped to a whopping $628!  :o
Wow! Is anyone noticing any price jumps in beekeeping supplies?
The price jump on that one will likely cause me to pass.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline mamapoppybee

Re: Supply prices jumping??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 05:09:10 pm »
when i put my mann lake order in things went up but not a 100.00 increase ouch perry! this was like 7 on hive body  three dollars on deep supper i chalked it up to increase in shipping. I would call the company and make sure they did not hit a wronge key stroke when entering that. Cuz thats just cray cray.

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:31:47 am »
my economic schooling informs me that inflationary prices takes two forms.. demand pull and cost push.  I am guessing both of those factors are taking place here.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 08:13:16 am »
The US treasury is purchasing 80 billion per month in US bonds.  That's money that is not backed up by anything.  nada, nada  That means inflation in the US is 80 billion per month.  As the old saw goes, "hold on to your hat baby, you ain't seen nothing yet."

Offline Moots

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 08:19:08 pm »
I was eyeing a Kelley jiggle knife for uncapping at $535 a week ago. I was going to wait for one of their free shipping days.
I just looked it up today and the price has jumped to a whopping $628!  :o
Wow! Is anyone noticing any price jumps in beekeeping supplies?
The price jump on that one will likely cause me to pass.

Perhaps this was in anticipation of the email I received today from Kelley Bees announcing that they are now offering free shipping everyday. 

Did a quick skim of their site on a few things that I was familiar with their pricing, NO DOUBT...It looks like across the board price increases.   :sad:

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 08:31:54 pm »
I think that this could end up hurting them. You may be able to offer free shipping, but you have to be able to sell the stuff first!
Nothing would convince me with the jiggle knife that there was a cost increase to them anywhere that would justify that kind of a mark up.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Moots

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 08:57:08 pm »
I think that this could end up hurting them. You may be able to offer free shipping, but you have to be able to sell the stuff first!
Nothing would convince me with the jiggle knife that there was a cost increase to them anywhere that would justify that kind of a mark up.

No doubt...

I made an order with them at the beginning of December. 

100 sheets of wax foundation....$89 then, Now $96
100 medium wooden frames....$80 then, Now $86
500 little bear labels.......$15.00 then, Now $16.50   :D Looks like nothing got spared!  :sad:

Offline Walt B

• Red Gate Farm
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:53 am »
Looks like "free shipping" isn't really "free". It takes me awhile to order because I compare prices from one supplier to another with shipping added in versus the "free shipping". A few days ago I was going to purchase a non-bee related item. As I recall the item was around $20 and the shipping was $16.  :o  Didn't buy it.

Walt
Red Gate Farm
Stamp Out Racism

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 12:34:25 pm »
Moots and Walt, you are both confirming what I suspected. The shipping isn't "free".
I was going to buy the uncapper at $535 but was holding off for a free shipping day to help offset the cost. Our dollar has also dropped recently to less than 93 cents American.
Now they have boosted the price of the item I was thinking of by $91:o
All the free shipping in the world isn't going to help them if it costs them sales.
Forum Supporter