Author Topic: Birds  (Read 3567 times)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Birds
« on: October 07, 2015, 08:04:48 pm »
In response to a thread on Yellow Jackets that moved to birds, I decided to start this thread on birds that become pests.

I am going to try to describe a trap I build. I start with making a wire cage large enough to hold several birds. I make two doorways in it near the bottom, with a wood framework on four sides of the doorway. I bend heavy wire ""clothes hanger?"" into the shape of a U with square corners. The U being too narrow for the bird to get between. I then staple the U pieces to the top of the doorway so they hang down just past the inside of the bottom. You can then push them in and they open, but swing shut when released. I tie them up out of the way and set the trap with bait. After a few days, the birds learn of the free dinner and come in masses. Then I release the wires and let them hang down. The birds will put their heads between the wires and push as they eat the food near the door. The wires give and they go in. The wires fall back in place and they are trapped. Other birds will follow.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Re: Birds
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:10:11 pm »
Curious, what do you do with the trapped birds?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:13:32 pm »
If they are barnyard chickens or Guineas, I eat them.   :yes:   :D
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:18:08 pm »
Where do the chickens and guinea hens come from?  A neighbor?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 09:14:27 pm »
From the owner, who wants them caught. I have caught barn yard birds, pigeons, ducks, geese, even escaped pets. It's just a good bird trap that doesn't hurt them. There's many uses for them. Efmesh has a problem with parrots. I thought it might work for him, too.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 12:13:38 am »
My buddy and i made them like that, but with only one door. We trapped pigeons and sold them to a pet store $.25 ea. until we found out he was feeding them to bobcats and snakes. That's another story. :o Jack

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 06:20:46 am »
Eat them all, I have a good recipe for crow. People in Michigan grip all the time they can't shoot doves to eat I presume.

;D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 06:50:52 am »
To keep them from roosting and crapping aii over every thing under where they sit
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 09:34:53 am »
Hey Apisbees, i use to make my soda pop and candy bar money with my BB gun and flashlight, City folk would pay a nickle a Sparrow to rid there shed or car port of them. Jack

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 02:09:39 pm »
Want to go to Israel? I bet Ef will pay you that for each parrot you kill if you rid them from his pecan trees.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 06:24:55 am »
If you buy me a couple of bricks of 22lr ammo or a air rifle I will go for a nickel a bird, maybe his neighbors will chip in too.

:)  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 07:43:40 am »
My lady friend near the ranch has pigeon problems around her barn from time to time.  She uses rat shot in a .22 rifle and a night light and eats a few pigeons.  I think her night light is a small, red lensed LED light.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 03:56:08 pm »
I made a start on Friday and "permanently removed" three of the parrots from my pecan trees.   ;D