Author Topic: 2015 Harvest  (Read 3129 times)

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
2015 Harvest
« on: August 01, 2015, 02:31:08 pm »
Finally took the excess honey yesterday. I wanted to give them plenty of time to bring in something, but it just didn't happen. Ended up getting about 4 gallons. Most of it is from last year. I took the honey a little too early last year and the bees brought some more in after I put the supers back. The honey is darker this time than last. I'm not sure what they brought in. It's good honey, but it has a "sharper" taste than my harvest last year. Still don't have an extractor. Did crush and strain. Can't seem to let go of the money for one. I guess I would really like to have a good harvest before I buy one.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: 2015 Harvest
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 06:15:32 pm »
Darker and sharper, sounds like Goldenrod, or maybe Aster?
(Spend the money when you have it.)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 06:36:19 pm »
But when you crush and strain, you destroy of the bees hard work that it takes a strong flow for the bees to rebuild the comb where they will store in the suppers during a light flow. The honey you cost yourself next year could easily be worth more the the cost of an extractor this year. There is a reason most beekeeper so refure to drawn supers are worth gold. I know we all would like to hold out and get our dream extractor, "large capacity electric. But a 2 frame hand crank will get the extracting done and save the comb.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 07:54:23 pm »
Mann Lake has a two frame plastic extractor on sale for $150.  Sale good through 8/5.  I know it's plastic and only 2 frame, but you have to start somewhere.  You will be amazed next year how much more honey they bring in when they have ready made comb. 
A few years back I bought a inexpensive Chinese 3 frame stainless steel.  It works for me. 

Also, some bee clubs have extractors to rent out.  If your local club doesn't, you might make a good friend that does and you can work out a deal.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 01:34:20 am »
Tbone says, "The honey is darker this time than last. I'm not sure what they brought in. It's good honey, but it has a "sharper" taste than my harvest last year."

Ef congratulates  Tbone----he's discovered the general rule for honey flavors---the darker the color, the stronger the flavor.   Light honeys are tasty and good looking, but the dark honeys are the ones that really give you a taste sensation.

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 09:01:26 am »
But when you crush and strain, you destroy of the bees hard work that it takes a strong flow for the bees to rebuild the comb where they will store in the suppers during a light flow. The honey you cost yourself next year could easily be worth more the the cost of an extractor this year. There is a reason most beekeeper so refure to drawn supers are worth gold. I know we all would like to hold out and get our dream extractor, "large capacity electric. But a 2 frame hand crank will get the extracting done and save the comb.

I know what you mean.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 11:51:26 am »
 I remember learning somewhere, a long time ago, that it takes about 15 kg of collected honey to produce the wax needed to build 1 kg of honeycombs.  So, when not saving built combs, you are losing not only ready spaces for storage but a considerable amount of your crop because, once again, the bees have to build, sacrificing honey for wax.  All this leads us back to what Apis said, "drawn supers are worth gold".

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 07:23:34 pm »
I remember learning somewhere, a long time ago, that it takes about 15 kg of collected honey to produce the wax needed to build 1 kg of honeycombs.  So, when not saving built combs, you are losing not only ready spaces for storage but a considerable amount of your crop because, once again, the bees have to build, sacrificing honey for wax.  All this leads us back to what Apis said, "drawn supers are worth gold".

This is the point I was trying to make, but efmesch and apis said it better.
My first year, I found a beekeeper on Craigslist that let me borrow his extractor with a deposit.  It was free, but I had to drive quite a ways.  That was my motivation for purchasing an inexpensive extractor.  Since then my bee club has purchased an electric extractor which they rent out.  The $25 rental fee is a bargain in my opinion. 

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 07:41:32 pm »
Tbone, I'll be extracting this weekend...you could bring your supers by and get it done then.  I'm not too far away (by Texas standards anyway).  Or, our Club has an extracting setup you could use ($25 to join Club).  HTH
Lee_Burough

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 02:08:12 pm »
Thanks for the offer. Already done for this year. I will be doing differently next year.