Author Topic: Queen Introduction Frame - Use and Discussion  (Read 2820 times)

Offline pistolpete

Queen Introduction Frame - Use and Discussion
« on: May 10, 2015, 10:54:52 pm »
Thanks for posting, and thanks for being generous.   I'm not eligible, but do have a couple of questions:  How long does the queen frame stay in and how long does it take for drone layers to give up their habit?   Do you get a mess of burr comb around the unit in the mean time?
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
Re: Re: KARMA - Queen Introduction Frame
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 09:58:53 am »
Thanks for posting, and thanks for being generous.   I'm not eligible, but do have a couple of questions:  How long does the queen frame stay in and how long does it take for drone layers to give up their habit?   Do you get a mess of burr comb around the unit in the mean time?

Well,  not sure I can answer all your questions, but I'll share what I know.

First of all, this is not my invention,  it came up quite a few years ago on Ebay,  but the price was over $30.   Not knowing if it would work,  I offered to build on for a fellow beekeeper out in Washington who had a laying worker hive.   That particular unit was passed around at Beemaster for a while and everyone had good results.  Not sure where it finally ended up.   

The queen is put into the introduction frame and placed in the middle of the brood nest for 14 days without being disturbed.  After 14 days,  the plug/cover is removed to let her escape.   7 days later you remove the frame and verify the queen is laying. 

You can follow the links above to read about others experiences.   I personally have not used it (yet).  I also know of a local beek not on the forums that had success using it.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 11:56:18 am »
while in the cage she isn't laying though is she? 
I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 01:02:03 pm »
Robo, you need to make this thread and a new one stickies. Put the actual playing posts in one and the comments in the other.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Queen Introduction Frame - Use and Discussion
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 05:58:11 pm »

So if you had a box of these set above an excluder you could use them to bank queens, and then simply set the frame in the hive to introduce as mentioned?
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 07:25:13 pm »
while in the cage she isn't laying though is she?
No she is not.  Just her phermones

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
Re: Queen Introduction Frame - Use and Discussion
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 07:28:09 pm »

So if you had a box of these set above an excluder you could use them to bank queens, and then simply set the frame in the hive to introduce as mentioned?

I suppose so.