Author Topic: Laying Workers  (Read 5147 times)

Offline capt44

• If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
Re: Laying Workers
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 10:36:27 pm »
Do you put all the frames with drone brood back in the hive or replace it with foundation? Sounds like a good plan. Thanks, Jack
Yes put the brood frames back in the hives, the bees will take care of them.
Capt44

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 02:30:55 am »
"Tomorrow", Friday,  has come and gone.  I gave the family with laying workers a nice frame with young brood, some nurse bees and eggs.   I'll follow them up next week and try to remember to report on the results. 
The following users thanked this post: Ray

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 09:08:19 am »
When i find a hive with to much drone brood i go fishing 8). They make good bait. :D Jack

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 07:25:55 pm »
When i find a hive with to much drone brood i go fishing 8). They make good bait. :D Jack

Indeed!  EXCELLENT bait!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 07:41:18 pm »
After 5 days, the hives have combined. I checked in the lower box and the original queen is still laying. I didn't check in the upper box to see if there is still a laying worker.  Something tells me that there probably is. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 09:28:52 pm »
The most successful way I have found to deal with a laying worker is to use a queen introduction frame.   Many others have had great success as well.  The details and links to other successes can be found here ->  http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=39947.0

Perhaps it is time for Karma here as well (see link above,  or check out my next post for details)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2015, 06:15:41 pm »
Here is an update: 4 more days later I checked the hives again today. They were in 3 full sized boxes. After checking frames, there were enough empty frames to allow me to take everything to two boxes. That's the good news. As I went through the hive I didn't see any eggs. This hive is supposed to have a queen in it. That's why I combined. I did see some capped worker brood, but I also saw about 4 to 6 queen cups with something in them. I decided to close it up and wait. This hive tries and tries to make something happen. They just can't seem to get their act together.