Author Topic: Flow hive at bee meeting  (Read 4697 times)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Flow hive at bee meeting
« on: April 13, 2015, 04:54:34 pm »
Bee meeting tonight April 13 in Salmon Arm and next Monday April 20 night in Kelowna. John Gates will be speaking on his experience testing the flow hive last year at both meetings. and will have it there to show. with all the hype about the hive it should draw a good crowd.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Flow hive at bee meeting
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:19:15 pm »
I would be interested in what you think Keith, especially after you see it. I await your review.  :)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:21:32 pm »
What Perry said. I'd like to know what your impressions are, as opposed to someone who has been working with it or is trying to sell it!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 03:18:51 am »
Don't you believe "it's the best thing since sliced bread"  ?  :-\ :D
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:59:07 pm »
Personally, not a huge fan of sliced bread... :D
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 10:53:30 pm »
Well I finally edited the video and analyzed the data from Indigo on the success of the flow hive funding campaign. The indigo data with my interpretation and comments on the campaign is on an attached pdf document.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:58:01 pm »
Here is a 35 minute video on the use of the flow hive during August 2014 and A discussion at our local meeting on its use.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 03:30:45 pm »
I had a bit of a problem following the talk---there was a lot of background noise that made listening difficult.
All tolld, it was interesting....
I read your PDF but am still not clear about our opinion on the innovvation.  I don't have a display room to show my customers as I fill their bottles, so is it really worth it?  What happens if I turn around and don't watch the bottles as they fill---what about spillage problems?

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 05:53:58 pm »
We have our meetings in a school library and for that month because of the interest it got moved into the auditorium and it happened that they were having a basket ball practice in the gym next door.
The flow hive is a great conversation starter about bees. Lots of people have heard the hype and seen the video. I think in over simplifying beekeeping in the video, they have lost the support of some beekeepers before they even started production. Even in there promotion of the complete flow hive, (all you need to do is add bees). most beekeepers that have hives know that one brood box and honey super are not adequate space for a colony of bees. Especial when it is only a 8 frame super. It will work for the first year if you start from a package but once the honey is tapped off and the flow super is removed will the bees have adequate stores for winter.
The same can be said for most starter hive packages, you get enough equipment to get started. additional equipment is needed.
The design of the frames are really quite good any concerns I have had about there design and the way they work have been answered thru close examination of the frames. The last of the honey that is in the bottom of the frame is allowed to drain back into the hive so the bees can clean it up and restore it. So the bottom tray wont end up full of crystallized honey. As far as honey spills, it is going to happen if we are not paying attention. It happens coming out of the extractor. over filling clarifier or not having the pump plugged in or turned on. Over filling the settling and bottling tanks. Even over filling or misjudging where the honey will land when the spout is opened to pour.
Personally I think it is a great invention with a huge potential. Would I buy and use one? Yes, But not at the current pricing. I have a feeling there will be some good deals coming up on E-Bay in the near future. Or it wont be long before you can buy a cheap knock off direct from China.
The price of them is not that bad when you consider frames with foundation in small quantities will cost close to $3.00 each, add the value of the 2 lbs of honey required to draw out each frame so by the time the honey super frames are drawn out it has a cost of $130.00 in value.
A super full of flow frames costs $447.00 $500.00 with shipping to the USA