Author Topic: Tall Hives and 2 Queen Hives  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
Tall Hives and 2 Queen Hives
« on: December 29, 2013, 11:22:52 am »
I am kicking around the idea of doing a couple of 2 queen hives with an old twist; the Snelgrove Board. Google Dave Cushman Snelgrove Board

It makes for a very tall hive with the honey supers sandwiched in the middle of the stack which seems inconvenient as heck. It would be too except I plan to put a section of scaffolding between the two hives which gives me moveable stages up to 5 feet high and lots of laydown space for boxes. I had one hive get very tall last year as I left all supers on and added a few more to try and get more drawn comb. Anway it looked impressive but i had to use a stepladder to get supers down.

The Snelgrove system puts almost all brood above a screened floor and the bees there will produce queen cells you can harvest and let one mature and start a colony up above. The exists can be manipulated to selectively bleed forager bees down to the lower box with the old queen. This separation of the old queen from most of the brood acts like the demarree swarm control method. In theory it keeps both queens from swarming and you can remove the upper box as a complete hive or pinch the old queen and combine the two hives without any newspaper since they have the same smell.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:39:15 am by Crofter »
Frank

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
Re: Tall Hives and 2 Queen Hives
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 12:02:41 pm »
I often wanted to experiment with the snelgrove board not sure why I haven't
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 02:43:12 pm »
I'm excited to see how this works for you. In my case, I wouldn't be stable on ladders to bring the supers down for inspection.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Crofter

• Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:02:12 pm »
Yes the ladder business would be a definite put off. It could be run as low as one deep, plus two honey supers, plus the second deep on top. That would be less than what I have in the picture. I did get 4 medium supers filled and capped by that hive.

What I am proposing to do with a more or less permanent section of scaffold between two hives would give a much more forgiving scenario to work the hives. I dont think it is practical but would be a fun thing to do.  If it gives good swarm control, provides re queening and gives good honey production that will all be a plus
Frank

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 12:30:43 pm »
good luck crofter on that endeavor, have never tried the snelgrove myself, but have worked taking supers off from ladders and scaffolding.  in a good year i can have a pretty good stack on, and takes two of us to get them off.  a board between 2 ladders works really well.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Crofter

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 12:59:42 pm »
Maybe I will put some up on the barn roof while I am at it! :) Really I am not up to a lot of heaving boxes around unless they are waist high!

Frank