Author Topic: Gallon Jars?  (Read 8756 times)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Gallon Jars?
« on: December 28, 2013, 11:24:07 pm »
Does anyone know where to pick up Gallon jars with the small mouth?
   I can find all sorts of them with the wide mouth...
   I have (HAD) 5 of them... all OLD jars that take a normal quart mason jar lid. I used them for feeding in my feed stands...
   Seems that.... (she who not be named here) decided to get the ladder down all by herslef, nad somehow hit the shelf above it where I had the jars sitting..  three of them hit the concrete....      :'(

So I decided to look them up and order a few more....     Apparently its not possible to get new ones??
   I see that Ruhl Bee Supply has gallon PLASTIC jars that take this lid.. they are also, and unfortunately BLACK Plastic..   I would think this would make them TERRIBLE feeders, as the sun hitting them would have the syrup squirting out the lid holes...   I thought.. maybe I could paint them white....  they are only 7 bucks each......  so less than 21 bucks for three...   then comes the shipping at 24 bucks....
     naw.. not worth it to get something I dont want...
   If anyone knows of a supplier PLEASE let me know..
   In the meantime I guess I am going to start scrounging through old barns and sheds!!!
   Thanks!!!
       Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
Re: Gallon Jars?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 11:34:25 pm »
I use the 2.5 litter and gallon pickle jars from walmart. Got over 100 of them. And my Dr. can attest to my eating all the pickles when I went in for a blood pressure check. while I was eating a gallon or 2 of them a week.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 11:43:16 pm »
blue think hes looking for the wide mouth that would fit a canning jar lid

Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:12:39 am »

Indeed, the standard lids that fit into a Boardman style feeder  2.5 inch lid I believe..

MiniMo  I'll have to send you some of my Pickles next season.. I already ate the ones I canned this year :P

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 12:39:24 am »
lazy, i get these plastic gallon jugs from b and b honey farm in houston, minnesota; 89mm opening, pressure sensitive seals, they are great:

B and B Plastic Gallon Jugs
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 08:17:23 am »
Ohhh, so not the type that have "XXX" on the side... ;)

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 08:23:03 am »
I haven't seen gallon jars that use the standard mason jar top.  The largest I have seen are the old half gallon mason jars that are no longer manufactured.  You may see them at flea markets for a reasonable price.  I have gotten some from Iddee and use them for some external feeding and for my bee watering station when there is no danger of freezing temperatures.

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 08:49:02 am »
I also use the gallon pickle jars.   A cheaper alternative to eating all those pickles is to stop into a local deli or pizza place and ask them if they will save them for you.  A jar of honey will get you many jars in exchange ;D     I would suggest sticking with glass for feeders and staying away from plastic.  Especially if your location gets wide temperature swings.   Plastic will tend to "pump" the syrup out with temperature swings.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 09:21:57 am »
    I would suggest sticking with glass for feeders and staying away from plastic.  Especially if your location gets wide temperature swings.   Plastic will tend to "pump" the syrup out with temperature swings.

This has been my experience as well Robo. Glass jars will do the same thing, but not to the same extent. I have found Boardman feeders Packed with dead bees to the point the syrup was dripping out the front even with a glass jar..   60 degree night and 90 degree noon time temps.
   I may well end up modifying the feed stands to accept the wide mouth jars, but would prefer to keep the small mouth as long as possible..

You can still order half gallon jars, but I will probably modify the stands before going that route.  Each of my stands takes three 1 Gallon jars, and the bees will empty all three in about two days in early spring and late fall. When the jars "weep" during temp rises, the syrup drips on the stand board and the bees simply clean it up. So no real issues, other than feeding wasps..    However... rum and coke in hand, I enjoy sitting, watching the bees, and wield a stick of sufficient diameter that it does not flex when i smoosh a wasp. I find that each of those yellow jackets I smoosh provides me with a sense of satisfaction only to be found when destroying a critter trying to get into the Hen house.
   So in your travels.. keep your eyes open for gallon jars with the smaller 2.5 inch lids and please let me know if any are spotted!!!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 10:28:53 am »
Could this be what you are looking for?  http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Wide-Mouth-Glass-Jars-Metal/dp/B004SIOTTS
I have attempted to use pickle or jalapeno jars in the past and sometimes you can't get the smell out even of glass.  Also, sometimes the threading is different and a regular canning lid won't fit on the jar.  In that case, you could punch your own holes into the original lid.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 05:27:36 pm »

Thats probably what I am going to have to switch to. Its Wide mouth, the ones I use are small mouth/regular mouth depending on who you talk to..   I have a couple resources for old jars, so will use those up and scrounge all of them I can.

I believe a bee shed is in order this spring in order to keep my stuff safe. With a paddle lock no less!!
   Seems I have misplaced my camera..  I went to take a pic of the jars I use and its vanished...  Guess I'll have to keep that in the bee shed too!

*Sponsor*

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 05:37:33 pm »
here you go. They still make the half gallon canning jars http://www.hydroponics.net/i/139407 search them on Google and there was several places to get them. Stay away from ebay they are high on the price. I would check with a local mom and pop hardware or grocery store and see if they could order them in for you.

Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 05:56:36 pm »
Those are the wide mouth canning jars, at over 2.00 each plus shipping. Tractor supply, southern states, and probably others, have them for about 10 dollars for a half dozen. It's the regular mouth half gallons you can't find. I have about 30 of the regular mouth.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 07:07:44 pm »
You might also try posting on the "wanted" column of craigs list, never know when somebody is cleaning out grandmas garage.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 08:27:14 pm »
You might also try posting on the "wanted" column of craigs list, never know when somebody is cleaning out grandmas garage.
Excellent idea G3.  I found some great small mouthed half gallon jars at a garage sale where they were cleaning out an older person's treasurers.