Author Topic: Hot Hive!  (Read 21564 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Hot Hive!
« on: March 05, 2015, 12:46:51 am »
About 10ish days ago the weather was in the 60's, so I had time to inspect all three hives. Hive one and two went well, bees were docile. Hive three? another story. I was suited up for all three inspects. I did see the queen. Hive three, I had bees all over my sleeves and gloves and took some stings to my jeans. I reported it to the forum, and was suggested to wait a while. I did.

While I'm waiting, three times I've been to the hives, experimenting. I stand next to mother hive to where my bod is touching it, and I lean down and watch the bees for about 30 seconds. Nothing, bees happy and busy. I go to hive 2, sit down right next to it, lean and watch bees for awhile. Nothing, bees happy and busy. I go to hive 3, sit down next to it, lean in, and within 10 seconds I get a sting.
Husband and son say the bees come right in to their face and buzzing.

A week ago I was visiting with my elderly neighbor, right away I felt a lone bee lift off of my shoulder, and she lit and nailed my neighbor right on the nose.

I'll be adding the additional hive body to #3 maybe tomorrow. And, I may knock out the bottom deep. 10 days ago, it only
had pollen and a tad of nectar in it.

We are ramped up full swing here, is it a good time to requeen?

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Hot Hive!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 06:59:28 am »
Definitely a good time. Check for brood. It sounds like there may not be queen pheremone in the hive, even if there is a queen.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:46:26 am »
Thanks Iddee! Calling Koehnan's today!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 12:51:36 pm »
Last year in late spring I ordered three queens for three hives. Introduced them according to instructions. Two were excepted one was found dead. So I let the hive make a new queen and all worked out well.

This year, In case the newly installed queen is killed, I don't know if there is enough drones to mate with a queen the bees would make.

I'm was going to order a queen today for my hot hive... then I thought maybe I should order two just in case the first one isn't excepted. So is this the time when I would make a nuc for the extra queen if I don't need the extra queen after all?

I guess my question is: How do I know if I have enough drones? and what do I do with the extra queen just in case she's not needed?

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 01:12:04 pm »
You could always kill the queen in the hot hive, then introduce a frame or two of eggs and larvae from the mother hive and let them make their own. But then, you have to wait for the whole mating flight and possibility of it not working. If you want to make sure you get a better amount of honey this year over last, requeen.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 01:19:42 pm »
Hi tbone  :)  Yah, see that is one of my questions, I'm not sure I have enough mature drones for a mating season this early. So if I buy two mated queens then I won't have to wait for the whole mating/make a new queen thing. What do I do with the left over new queen if the introduced queen is excepted?

Offline hamptor

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 02:00:53 pm »
I posted earlier about my hot hive and plans to requeen.  I got great advice from this forum about dividing and conquering.   Also check out what Michael Bush has to say about it.   He has a great article on Requeening a Hot Hive.   It was really helpful.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 02:07:45 pm »
Googled this article Hampton, is this the one you mean? Getting a cup of coffee and will read, Thanks

UPFATE JUST 10 MINUTES LATER.

Michael Bush on requeening hot hives:  "First, Be prepared to be stung. Be prepared to walk away for a while. Be prepared to run away for a while. I find running through some brush is a good way to get rid of clinging and following bees.

UPDATE ONE HOUR LATER. I put a net over my head and sat with the hot hive one more time, they are still a little insistent with me but no stings. I've decided to do an inspection before I buy queens. I don't hear a roar in the hive. But It's been almost 2 weeks and anything could have changed in the hive in that time. I'll look for supercedure or swarming cells. If I find those why bother requeening at this moment. It will also give me a look see as to anything going on in the bottom deep of which two weeks ago was nothing but stored pollen.

Catch up with ya later

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 07:27:42 pm »
Just finished hot hive #3 inspection. I'm encouraged  :) The bees were not as aggressive as two weeks ago but still insistant. I stayed steady at the helm, but walked away a couple of times to let them settle down. Spotted the queen. No queen cells of any kind ;D By the time I got to the bottom deep, I took some stings, but that's okay my knees have been a little cranky ;)

I was prepared to kick the deep out and lower the two meds, and then add an empty med on top for queen expansion. But Guess What? the middle three deep frames have capped brood and larvae  ;D  I'm seeing a picture here... two weeks ago the deep was empty except for pollen. I'll bet because the hive was out of room for the queen to lay, she led them, or they led her down stairs to get busy, maybe reluctantly but they at least choose that alternative to swarming.

So, now this hive is a deep with a little brood and larvae and nectar and pollen stored. Then two meds of plenty of capped brood and honey. Then I went a head and put on an empty med with a couple pulled frames in it to get them started, so now they can go up or down. thinking that the top empty med will turn into a super  ;D

With all the added room, I'll see if this hive settles down, then I won't have to buy a queen. I think it's a good plan  ;D   

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 07:34:23 pm »
Very good plan.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: Jen

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 08:56:20 pm »
Thanks Mr. Wizard  ;) 

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 09:08:44 pm »
That sounds like a pro plan if I ever heard one!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 09:23:47 pm »
 :) Thanks Scott ~ it's getting easier to read the hives, a nice feeling to be sure  ;)

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 10:34:42 pm »
If you have two queens, split a hive and put a queen in each one.  If one of the queens don't make it, recombine with newpaper.  If they both make it, you have two hives!  Easy peasy.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs
The following users thanked this post: Jen

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 02:23:37 pm »
Spring is definitely the time of year when the bees are crankiest.  All those old winter bees have not been bothered for a few months and they don't like it.  When all the winter bees have died off things get better. 

As for your 2 queen question: you don't really need a very strong Nuc to bank a queen.  Just a frame of brood and a couple of frames of bees.  If it turns out you don't need the queen then you can sell her with a Nuc, or re-queen one of your other hives and sell the 1 year old proven queen with a Nuc.   I re-queen all of my hives every year and it has proven an excellent form of swarm prevention for me.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 02:39:01 pm »
Pete- "I re-queen all of my hives every year and it has proven an excellent form of swarm prevention for me.

Each to our own :) But I just can't do that if I have a good laying queen. It feels like to me, Henry the XVI, the guillotine, and Marie Antoinette just cause she couldn't produce a boy.

And this is the second year for my three queens and they are laying better than ever.

Offline vossejongk

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 03:00:14 pm »
Requeening every year is a waste of good Queens imo, just split when they start making queen cells and the queen puts an egg in it, then it's time. Old queen in new hive, she thinks she swarmed and won't do it again old hive has no queen and half the bees, thinks it swarmed won't do it again. At the end of winter join both together and voila
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:33:57 am by vossejongk »

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 03:09:05 pm »
My one year old queens are not wasted.  I sell them with my Nucs.  That way the customers get a proven queen that's brought a hive through the winter in good shape.   If you wait until you have queen cells present to split your hive, you will often end up with one or more cast swarms.  This is because the bees have made up their mind to swarm and the first queen to hatch will sometimes leave with 1/2 the bees.   Much better to split before they feel crowned enough to want to swarm.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 03:20:43 pm »
Hiya Vosse  :)  Nice to hear from ya

This is my year to learn nucs and splits. Right now all's I know is, is that there are no swarm or supercedure cells in my three hives. Woooooot!

Next step, Oxalic treatment this coming week.

Pete- " If you wait until you have queen cells present to split your hive, you will often end up with one or more cast swarms.

Awwe Man! That what happened to me last year, they casted and casted and casted me to exhuastion!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 05:51:42 pm »
Still a hot hive! went out into my back yard to do some pruning. Not even near the hives and they are after me, got stung twice and they stung my dog :o At this rate I don't think I'm going to wait 2 weeks to requeen...