Author Topic: buying bees  (Read 6685 times)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: buying bees
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 02:39:20 am »
Now I'm snoopy. A single deep, a double deep, did you get any other honey supers or equipment? You can tell me to mind my own business but I am going to ask anyway what did it cost you? If the price is right there may be others on the forum that are near and interested.
I am glad you managed to find bees and bees that will make your first year of beekeeping enjoyable.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline ward

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 08:48:26 am »
The pink one is the new hive. The white one will probably have to wait until next year.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 10:21:47 am »
An 8 frame hive. if you did not get more 8 frame supers to use on top, You may want to consider moving the frames in to the 10 frame hive that you have supers for. and save the 8 frame till you can get or make more 8 frame supers. Thanks for posting pictures. And have fun and enjoy, Best wishes and success.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 10:42:21 am »
what apis said ward, me too, that's what i would do, move the frames into the 10 framer.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline ward

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 09:41:08 pm »
We should have read this sooner. We ended up buying an 8 frame deep and a couple of medium supers from betterbee and they arrived in two days. I slapped a coat of paint on the deep and put it on top of the hive because it was really crowded in there. I was afraid they would swarm on me. However, they seem calm and busy now. They seem to be doing well. We see plenty of pollen on the returning bees. We have never done this before so we are just using common sense. We are going to examine the hive in a week and see how they have taken to the new box. We were thinking the next move would be to put on a queen excluder and a medium super.

We paid $200 for the hive with no extra boxes. After we left we wished we had purchased a couple of extra boxes. We were set up for a 10 frame. Ward wanted to move them into the ten frame but Marion wanted to keep them where they were used  to. Marion won but betterbee helped with fast delivery.

We are painting all the 8 frame parts pink and the 10 frame white so we can easily tell them apart. The 10 frame will probably wait til we can buy a nuc in the spring.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 04:49:39 am »
Get them through the winter and for the cost of a queen you can split the hive.

Offline ward

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 09:03:30 am »
Sounds good. We will study that.