Author Topic: A first for me today in my 4 years of beekeeping  (Read 8738 times)

Offline Bamabww

A first for me today in my 4 years of beekeeping
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:07:40 pm »
I'm sure there have been others that I just didn't see but found my first queen "peanut" cell today. My mentor always said if you find one near the bottom of the foundation, they are planning to swarm. If it's up near the top, they are going to replace her with a new one. Where there was brood, it was very wide spred, not a tight consistent pattern at all. So, is this nearer the bottom or nearer the top? Are they in swarm mode or planning to overthrow the reigning queen?

This was the only one I found in my six hives while making my final full inspection prior to putting on the honey supers. It was exciting, very exciting to find it. I took 3 stings to the hand getting 4 pictures of which only two turned out suitable for viewing.  But it was worth it.

Wayne

Offline Woody Roberts

Re: A first for me today in my 4 years of beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 09:21:56 pm »
That's a supersedure in progress. Swarm cells tend to be very low and there's usually several of them. A hive has to be strong or crowded to start swarm prep. These don't appear to be either one.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:29:33 pm »
Hi Wayne!  Yeap, what Woody said.  My swarm cells have always been hanging pretty much off the bottom of the frame.  So, did your hand swell over your knuckles?  I loose my knuckles for a day if I get stung on the hand.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:28:31 pm »
Yep!! I would also say supersedure and let them get on with it. If you don't want the bees making their own queen now is the time to put a new one in there.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:01:36 pm »
Did you see any brood in the hive on the other frames?

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 08:05:56 am »
Hi Wayne! So, did your hand swell over your knuckles?  I loose my knuckles for a day if I get stung on the hand.

Yeah, knuckles all gone and (duh!) I left my wedding ring on and it is very tight this morning. I took 3 benadryls and the itching is better. We're eating Easter lunch with the granddaughter at school today so I will have something to show off.
Wayne

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 08:40:42 am »
Looks like it has been polished on the end, getting ready to emerge.
My one big question though, is where is all the "other" brood that should be around this cell? Queen cells hatch in less time than regular worker cells, so this should have all kinds of other capped brood around it.
It's possible that this was one of a few stray eggs that the bees chose to work with, but it makes me wonder.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 08:46:46 am »
Did you see any brood in the hive on the other frames?

Very little and what was there was very scattered.
Wayne

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 08:50:34 am »
My one big question though, is where is all the "other" brood that should be around this cell? Queen cells hatch in less time than regular worker cells, so this should have all kinds of other capped brood around it.
It's possible that this was one of a few stray eggs that the bees chose to work with, but it makes me wonder.

Yeah, that surprized me as well. There was very little brood anywhere but the population of the hive is booming. It was packed full of bees. In fact I was looking for a frame of brood of all ages to add to my "gourd" bees hive to give them a boost when I found this. When I removed it for the pictures the girls got very mad.
Wayne

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 08:55:08 am »
It is clearly not a swarm cell for all the reasons well stated above. Keep an eye on this one Wayne to make sure that it is viable. Give it time to hatch out and settle down before disturbing, but be prepared to throw another frame with eggs on it in if needed.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 10:20:08 am »
well first off you really don't have a bunch of bees if  that frame is an indicator.  But with brood being as spotty as you have said, certainly explains the supersedure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline DonMcJr

• MichiganOutdoorsman
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 01:37:30 pm »

Perry I accidently hit report instead of Quote so if you get a hand slap I take it back!

I was thinking the same thing... it almost looks like I see a bunch of eggs in all the cells but from that pic it's hard to tell. Why would they build and cap the queen cells and not the other eggs?
President/Founder of Pine River Beekeeping Club  Goodells, MI in St. Clair County
Check out our Facebook Page >>> https://www.facebook.com/PineRiverBeekeepingClub?ref=hl

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 04:54:10 pm »
It wouldn't be the first time I got my knuckles rapped.  :D
From those pics I can't tell if those re eggs or just reflection.
Just thinking about it, if a queen laid a bunch of eggs on that frame, and the bees then decide they want to replace her (for whatever reason), they alter the diet to create a queen. She should then emerge in 13 days, which would leave all the surrounding brood still capped for another 5 or 6 days. Where are those other capped worker cells? Maybe the failing queen wandered over to this frame and just laid 3 or 4 eggs, one of which they decided to rear a queen with, and that explains the queen cell and the 2 or 3 other capped worker cells, but that strikes me as unusual.
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 07:11:09 pm »
We have a Canadian moderator. I'll inform him he needs to reprimand Perry quite harshly.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 07:28:02 pm »
did anybody notice what appears to be a second queen cell middle left. It's open, but there.

"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 07:42:31 pm »
All I see is a queen cup on the bottom of the frame and a mushed drone cell on the side at the bottom.  :-\
Forum Supporter

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 08:02:05 pm »
It wouldn't be the first time I got my knuckles rapped.  :D
From those pics I can't tell if those re eggs or just reflection.
When I saw the "peanut" I looked really good in the other cells but didn't see any eggs anywhere on that frame. Most had nectar / honey and some pollen.
Wayne

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 12:00:12 am »
I'm still learning this complicated queen thing. Could this be a queen cell that they just have ready in case they need to make a new queen?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 12:37:49 am »
No Jen, the premature cells are the  cups, the drawn out queen cells are active with something in them.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 08:38:07 am »
I would put a frame of brood with eggs in now, just to help the population if nothing else. 8) Jack