Author Topic: frame change  (Read 5607 times)

Offline denise1952

frame change
« on: March 31, 2014, 07:07:23 pm »
hi just need a bit of advice, I have 4 hives 3 of them the frames are on the warm side would I cause a problem for the bees if I changed the frames round so I can work on it better hope you understand what I mean
  thanks denise

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: frame change
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:07:49 pm »
Sorry Denise, but I don't quite follow.  :-[
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:09:06 pm »
Sorry, I do not understand what the real question is. Please provide a little more info. And what you would like to accomplish to work them better.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 10:53:12 pm »
i think what denise is saying.....well i THINK....  denise, correct me if i am wrong....anyway i think she is saying that 3 of the hives are in full sun? and are uncomfortable to work the hive in?

anyway denise, just guessing on this, but as far as moving frames around in a hive, it depends on what frames are being moved around?  rearranging frames depends on what you are rearranging?.....
i wouldn't move any brood frames, and i would leave honey and pollen frames as they are in the bottom deep. (unless you are managing for swarming in the brood nest).  it's comparable to rearranging their nursery and your house..... :D    they and you spend days putting it back together..... :D

give us a little more detail denise....
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:04:29 pm »

About mid April I reverse my boxes. I will pull two or three frames from the brood chamber and put in fresh empty frames (foundation-less) I will do the same in the second box, and often will cut the foundation out of the entire NEW top box, which WAS the old bottom box and let them draw new comb. This opens up the brood chamber and helps keep them from swarming until I can get queens and do light splits.
   I do this early while I am feeding, so by the time May and the major flow hits they will be ready to put honey in..

if you use foundation, dont split the brood chamber, put new frames on the edge of the brood chamber.
   if you use foundation-less you can drop them in the brood chamber. Keep a fully drawn frame between the empties.
   Feed.  If theres a flow where you are you don't need to feed as much, but  little will help them get the new frames drawn quicker.

I am not certain I understand exactly what you mean by having three hives with frames that are on the warm side either???
   The bees are more aggressive? The frames have gotten warm and are warped?
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 08:28:39 am »
It could be that Denise has her hive turned so that the frames are 'warm way'. The most popular UK hive, the National, is square and can be set up 'warm way' or 'cold way'.

A Langstroth has the frames 'cold way'. Turn it 90* and the frames are 'warm way'.

" Another Owd Codger "

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 09:32:02 am »
 :yah:  That is my understanding of "warm way" vs "cold way"  as well.    I have made some custom bottom boards that allowed me to use a Langstroth the "warm way"  but never made any conclusions from it.   BeeWorks offers a Langstroth DE Hive modification kit that allows running Langstroths the warm way.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 09:35:49 am »
hi just need a bit of advice, I have 4 hives 3 of them the frames are on the warm side would I cause a problem for the bees if I changed the frames round so I can work on it better hope you understand what I mean
  thanks denise

I could never see much of a difference 'warm way' vs 'cold way'.   The bees will adapt to which ever way you prefer.   I actually preferred working them the warm way, go figure :P

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 09:45:49 am »
There is a right way and wrong way to work bees? My problem is i can't find the right way :'(. Jack

Offline denise1952

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 10:22:50 am »
river and barbarian have got it right what it is when I am working on that hive I have to turn the frame around as my other hives when I pick the frame out it is facing  me  which is a lot better to look at just needed to know if I changed the box around it would not upset the bees hope you understand me a bit better (us English)lol
  thanks denise

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 11:52:00 am »
thanks denise for the clarification. i would think changing the box around would be okay, they will adjust.

"It could be that Denise has her hive turned so that the frames are 'warm way'. The most popular UK hive, the National, is square and can be set up 'warm way' or 'cold way'.
A Langstroth has the frames 'cold way'. Turn it 90* and the frames are 'warm way'."

thank you denise and barbarian, i learned something i didn't know!
Forum Sponsor

Offline denise1952

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 01:39:42 pm »
hi river im not very good at explaining thing as we have different meanings at each side of pond but we have got there and thanks a lot
            denise

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 10:29:29 pm »
Change the box with the frames. Turning the bottom board and the entrance in relation to the sun will cause the bees to have to reorientate but if you have to they will soon change by fanning their scent to get the returning bees to the new placement of the entrance. Go ahead and rotate them.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 12:05:58 am »
"hi river im not very good at explaining thing as we have different meanings at each side of pond but we have got there and thanks a lot "

denise, yes we do,(different meanings) but this is how we learn from one another.  barbarian knew what you were talking about right away.  i forget about all the differences in how all of us keep bees, so i made a guess on what you were saying, and in the process, i learned something from you and barbarian, so my thanks!
Forum Sponsor