Author Topic: 1 for 39  (Read 10476 times)

Offline DonMcJr

• MichiganOutdoorsman
Re: 1 for 39
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 11:54:33 pm »
Good Job Perry!  ;D

I gots me a Question though...

Is 4 Hives out of 4 Better than 40 out of 41?  :laugh:
President/Founder of Pine River Beekeeping Club  Goodells, MI in St. Clair County
Check out our Facebook Page >>> https://www.facebook.com/PineRiverBeekeepingClub?ref=hl

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 12:29:07 am »
Thanks for the congrats, I wish I could tell everyone what my secret is but.....................even I don't know.  :-\
Last year I only lost 1 of 29, so I was not expecting a second year in a row to see that kind of success. From casual observance, it seems like good and bad years tend to alternate to some degree.
The only real thing that I can perhaps attribute it to, is vigilance. Because I don't have a "real" job  :-[, I have the ability (and tendency) to be hyper sensitive to what may be occurring in my yards and am able to react quickly, instead of trying to play catch up like most working folks do. I have the luxury of having the most incredibly supportive wife who allows me to do this thing that consumes me, enabling me to visit my yards on a daily basis if I so choose.
I have discovered nothing intellectually that isn't available to everyone, so smarts surely doesn't have anything to do with it.  ;D
If I had an answer I would certainly pass it on (or at least bottle it and lucratively market it). :D

I only lost ONE hive as well Perry, and my situation mirrors your own.. Makes me wonder if you havent hit the nail directly on the head. Our methods for wintering are even similar..
   Most folks around here lost a large majority of their hives this winter.
   I have been keeping a sort of unscientific tally of hives..   total and lost...

Currently, of 633 hives cared for by members of four different clubs where I attend meetings...   118 have survived the winter.. that is 515 hives LOST within about an 80 mile radius around me...
   That is a staggering number, at least in my mind.

Don..  NO ONE can argue that you had a 100% success rate!!!!     ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 12:42:10 am »
Good Grief! That is a staggering loss! So so sorry about that  :sad:
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 12:53:10 am »
At our bee meeting tonight, I heard stories of 50 to 75% losses, and these were experienced keeps of many years. 
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 01:10:19 am »
Complacency is a hard thing to bypass.
    Winters here usually have two or three weeks of sub zero weather, a lot of days at or near freezing, and often 40 degree days. Five or six years ago my wife and I were horseback riding in late January on a 64 degree day..
   Weather like that doesn't help anyone prepare for a winter like the one we just had. Most folks prepare for a normal winter, rather than preparing for the worst..   I can only guess thats why losses here were so high.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 06:44:54 am »
Good Job Perry!  ;D

I gots me a Question though...

Is 4 Hives out of 4 Better than 40 out of 41?
  :laugh:

No arguing on that one, you got me beat. Congrats, that is impressive Don.
Keeping our charges alive is becoming more and more difficult, and every success should be celebrated.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline DonMcJr

• MichiganOutdoorsman
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 08:29:54 am »
No I think 40 out of 41 is a bigger feat!  ;D
President/Founder of Pine River Beekeeping Club  Goodells, MI in St. Clair County
Check out our Facebook Page >>> https://www.facebook.com/PineRiverBeekeepingClub?ref=hl

Offline 40 Acre Bees

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 03:13:30 pm »
I am still utterly amazed that both our hives survived here in Nova Scotia, it has been one wild winter.  But with all the advice from Perry and this forum we made it through.  Thanks to all of you because all of you, your ideas thoughts and the  information you provide is so very valuable........   So I guess we can say we are 2 for 2............

Offline jb63

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 02:02:45 am »
 :goodjob:  Way to go Perry.I've been out of town and just found your thread,so I wanted to say nice job.
I don't know.It was like that when I got here.